- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 867961, 6 pages
Acute Diverticulitis in the Young: The Same Disease in a Different Patient
Clinica Chirurgica, Department of Surgery, University of Cagliari, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Presidio Policlinico di Monserrato, Blocco G, SS 554 km 4,500, 09042 Monserrato (CA), Italy
Received 8 January 2013; Accepted 12 February 2013
Academic Editor: Paolo Gionchetti
Copyright © 2013 Adolfo Pisanu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. Aldoori and M. Ryan-Hashman, “Preventing diverticular disease. Review of recent evidence on high-fiber diets,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 48, pp. 1632–1637, 2002.
- N. S. Painter and D. P. Burkitt, “Diverticular disease of the colon: a deficiency disease of Western civilization,” British Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 759, pp. 450–454, 1971.
- W. D. Wong, S. D. Wexner, A. Lowry, et al., “Practice parameters for the treatment of sigmoid diverticulitis-supporting documentation. The Standards Task Force. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 43, pp. 290–297, 2000.
- C. P. Heise, “Epidemiology and pathogenesis of diverticular disease,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1309–1311, 2008.
- J. Guzzo and N. Hyman, “Diverticulitis in young patients: is resection after a single attack always warranted?” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 1187–1190, 2004.
- G. C. Nguyen, J. Sam, and N. Anand, “Epidemiological trends and geographic variation in hospital admissions for diverticulitis in the United States,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1600–1605, 2011.
- J. Schweitzer, R. A. Casillas, and J. C. Collins, “Acute diverticulitis in the young adult is not “virulent”,” The American Surgeon, vol. 68, pp. 1044–1047, 2002.
- D. A. Etzioni, T. M. MacK, R. W. Beart, and A. M. Kaiser, “Diverticulitis in the United States: 1998–2005: changing patterns of disease and treatment,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 249, no. 2, pp. 210–217, 2009.
- J. Y. Kang, J. Hoare, A. Tinto et al., “Diverticular disease of the colon—on the rise: a study of hospital admissions in England between 1989/1990 and 1999/2000,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1189–1195, 2003.
- P. R. Schauer, R. Ramos, A. A. Ghiatas et al., “Virulent diverticular disease in young obese men,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 164, no. 5, pp. 443–448, 1992.
- P. Ambrosetti, J. H. Robert, J. A. Witzig et al., “Acute left colonic diverticulitis in young patients,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 179, no. 2, pp. 156–160, 1994.
- D. N. Anderson, C. P. Driver, A. I. Davidson, and R. A. Keenan, “Diverticular disease in patients under 50 years of age,” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 42, pp. 102–104, 1997.
- K. Pautrat, F. Bretagnol, N. Huten, and L. de Calan, “Acute diverticulitis in very young patients: a frequent surgical management,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 472–477, 2007.
- A. Lahat, Y. Menachem, B. Avidan et al., “Diverticulitis in the young patient—is it different?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 19, pp. 2932–2935, 2006.
- S. Biondo, D. Parés, J. Ragué Martì, E. Kreisler, D. Fraccalvieri, and E. Jaurrieta, “Acute colonic diverticulitis in patients under 50 years of age,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1137–1141, 2002.
- J. Lopez-Borao, E. Kreisler, M. Millan, et al., “Impact of age on recurrence and severity of left colonic diverticulitis,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. e407–e412, 2012.
- M. A. Cunningham, J. W. Davis, and K. L. Kaups, “Medical versus surgical management of diverticulitis in patients under age 40,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 733–736, 1997.
- J. Rafferty, P. Shellito, N. H. Hyman, W. D. Buie, and Standards Committee of American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, “Practice parameters for sigmoid diverticulitis,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 939–944, 2006.
- L. L. Strate, Y. L. Liu, W. H. Aldoori, S. Syngal, and E. L. Giovannucci, “Obesity increases the risks of diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 115–122, 2009.
- F. Hjern, A. Wolk, and N. Hakansson, “Obesity, physical inactivity, and colonic diverticular disease requiring hospitalization in women: a prospective cohort study,” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 107, pp. 296–302, 2012.
- E. Zaidi and B. Daly, “CT and clinical features of acute diverticulitis in an urban U.S. population: rising frequency in young, obese adults,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 187, no. 3, pp. 689–694, 2006.
- C. Dobbins, D. DeFontgalland, G. Duthie, and D. A. Wattchow, “The relationship of obesity to the complications of diverticular disease,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2006.
- A. M. Shah, B. Malhotra, B. Patel, R. Spira, J. R. de Pasquale, and W. Baddoura, “Acute diverticulitis in the young: a 5-year retrospective study of risk factors, clinical presentation and complications,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1158–1161, 2011.
- E. J. Hinchey, P. G. Schaal, and G. K. Richards, “Treatment of perforated diverticular disease of the colon,” Advances in Surgery, vol. 12, pp. 85–109, 1978.
- January 2013, http://www.medcalc.org/manual/logistic_regression.php.
- A. Rosemar, U. Angerås, and A. Rosengren, “Body mass index and diverticular disease: a 28-year follow-up study in men,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 450–455, 2008.
- A. J. Cameron, T. A. Welborn, P. Z. Zimmet et al., “Overweight and obesity in Australia: the 1999-2000 Australian diabetes, obesity and lifestyle study (AusDiab),” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 178, no. 9, pp. 427–432, 2003.
- S. Gallus, P. Colombo, V. Scarpino et al., “Overweight and obesity in Italian adults 2004, and an overview of trends since 1983,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1174–1179, 2006.
- R. Micciolo, V. Di Francesco, F. Fantin et al., “Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Italy (2001–2008): is there a rising obesity epidemic?” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 258–264, 2010.
- E. Sanna, M. R. Soro, and C. Calò, “Overweight and obesity prevalence in urban Sardinian children,” Anthropologischer Anzeiger, vol. 64, pp. 333–344, 2006.
- W. H. Aldoori, E. L. Giovannucci, E. B. Rimm, A. L. Wing, D. V. Trichopoulos, and W. C. Willett, “A prospective study of alcohol, smoking, caffeine, and the risk of symptomatic diverticular disease in men,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 221–228, 1995.
- A. Pisanu, I. Reccia, D. Deplano, F. Porru, and A. Uccheddu, “Factors predicting in-hospital mortality of patients with diffuse peritonitis from perforated colonic diverticulitis,” Annali Italiani di Chirurgia, vol. 83, pp. 319–324, 2012.
- H. K. Jung, R. S. Choung, G. R. Locke III, C. D. Schleck, A. R. Zinsmeister, and N. J. Talley, “Diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome is associated with diverticular disease: a population-based study,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 652–661, 2010.
- L. L. Strate, Y. L. Liu, E. S. Huang, E. L. Giovannucci, and A. T. Chan, “Use of aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increases risk for diverticulitis and diverticular bleeding,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 1427–1433, 2011.
- E. J. McConnell, D. J. Tessier, and B. G. Wolff, “Population-based incidence of complicated diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon based on gender and age,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1110–1114, 2003.
- J. T. Makela, H. O. Kiviniemi, and S. T. Laitinen, “Acute sigmoid diverticulitis in young patients,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 56, no. 94-95, pp. 1382–1387, 2009.
- N. Kotzampassakis, O. Pittet, S. Schmidt, A. Denys, N. Demartines, and J. M. Calmes, “Presentation and treatment outcome of diverticulitis in younger adults: a different disease than in older patients?” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 333–338, 2010.
- S. Janes, A. Meagher, I. G. Faragher, S. Shedda, and F. A. Frizelle, “The place of elective surgery following acute diverticulitis in young patients: when is surgery indicated? An analysis of the literature,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1008–1016, 2009.
- J. P. Ritz, K. S. Lehmann, A. Stroux, H. J. Buhr, and C. Holmer, “Sigmoid diverticulitis in young patients—a more aggressive disease than in older patient?” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 667–674, 2011.