- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 931084, 6 pages
Association between Obesity, Serum Lipids, and Colorectal Polyps in Old Chinese People
Geriatric Digestive System Department, Navy General Hospital, No. 6 Fuchenglu Road, Beijing 100048, China
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 10 September 2013; Accepted 11 September 2013
Academic Editor: Naohisa Yoshida
Copyright © 2013 Wen Yang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Facts about Cancer, http://www.who.int/cancer/en/.
- E. E. Calle, C. Rodriguez, K. Walker-Thurmond, and M. J. Thun, “Overweight, obesity, and mortality from cancer in a prospectively studied cohort of U.S. adults,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1625–1638, 2003.
- E. E. Calle and R. Kaaks, “Overweight, obesity and cancer: epidemiological evidence and proposed mechanisms,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 579–591, 2004.
- C. L. Bird, S. A. Ingles, H. D. Frankl, E. R. Lee, M. P. Longnecker, and R. W. Haile, “Serum lipids and adenomas of the left colon and rectum,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 607–612, 1996.
- S. K. Park, J.-S. Joo, D.-H. Kim, Y.-E. Kim, D. Kang, and K.-Y. Yoo, “Association of serum lipids and glucose with the risk of colorectal adenomatous polyp in men: a case-control study in Korea,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 690–695, 2000.
- T. Otani, M. Iwasaki, S. Ikeda et al., “Serum triglycerides and colorectal adenoma in a case-control study among cancer screening examinees (Japan),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1245–1252, 2006.
- B. Manus, R. P. Adang, A. W. Ambergen, R. Brägelmann, U. Armbrecht, and R. W. Stockbrügger, “The risk factor profile of recto-sigmoid adenomas: a prospective screening study of 665 patients in a clinical rehabilitation centre,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 1997.
- E. Bayerdörffer, G. A. Mannes, W. O. Richter, et al., “Decreased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and increased low-density cholesterol levels in patients with colorectal adenomas,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 118, no. 7, pp. 481–487, 1993.
- S. Meance, M.-C. Boutron-Ruault, A. Myara et al., “Fecal primary bile acids and serum cholesterol are associated with colorectal adenomas,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1751–1757, 2003.
- G. A. Mannes, A. Maier, C. Thieme, B. Wiebecke, and G. Paumgartner, “Relation between the frequency of colorectal adenoma and the serum cholesterol level,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 315, no. 26, pp. 1634–1638, 1986.
- Y. W. Chung, D. S. Han, Y. K. Park et al., “Association of obesity, serum glucose and lipids with the risk of advanced colorectal adenoma and cancer: a case-control study in Korea,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 668–672, 2006.
- S. Kono, N. Ikeda, F. Yanai, M. Yamamoto, and T. Shigematsu, “Serum lipids and colorectal adenoma among male self-defence officials in Northern Kyushu, Japan,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 274–278, 1990.
- S. Kono, K. Imanishi, K. Shinchi, and F. Yanai, “Serum lipids and left-sided adenomas of the large bowel: an extended study of self-defense officials in Japan,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 117–121, 1993.
- A. V. Chobanian, G. L. Bakris, H. R. Black et al., “The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 289, no. 19, pp. 2560–2572, 2003.
- T. F. Imperial, D. R. Wahner, and C. Y. Lin, “Risk of advanced proximal neoplasms in asymptomatic adults according to the distal colorectal findings,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, pp. 1169–1174, 2000.
- G.-E. Lee, H. S. Park, K. E. Yun et al., “Association between BMI and metabolic syndrome and adenomatous colonic polyps in Korean men,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1434–1439, 2008.
- Y. Sato, R. Nozaki, K. Yamada, M. Takano, and K. Haruma, “Relation between obesity and adenomatous polyps of the large bowel,” Digestive Endoscopy, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 154–157, 2009.
- D. C. McMillan, N. Sattar, M. Lean, and C. S. McArdle, “ABC of obesity: obesity and cancer,” British Medical Journal, vol. 333, no. 7578, pp. 1109–1111, 2006.
- M. F. Leitzmann, A. Flood, L. M. Ferrucci et al., “Adiposity in relation to colorectal adenomas and hyperplastic polyps in women,” Cancer Causes & Control, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1497–1507, 2009.
- R. M. Summers, J. Liu, D. L. Sussman, et al., “Association between visceral adiposity and colorectal polyps on CT colonography,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 48–57, 2012.
- H. Yatsuya, K. Tamakoshi, T. Yoshida et al., “Association between weight fluctuation and fasting insulin concentration in Japanese men,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 478–483, 2003.
- K. Wie, J. Ma, and M. N. Pallak, “A prospective study of C-peptide, insulin-like growth factor-1, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1, and the risk of colorectal cancer in women,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 850–855, 2005.
- S. Kono, S. Honjo, I. Todoroki et al., “Glucose intolerance and adenomas of the sigmoid colon in Japanese men (Japan),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 441–446, 1998.
- P. Somasundar, D. W. McFadden, S. M. Hileman, and L. Vona-Davis, “Leptin is a growth factor in cancer,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 337–349, 2004.
- C. Garofalo and E. Surmacz, “Leptin and cancer,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 12–22, 2006.
- P. Stattin, A. Lukanova, C. Biessy et al., “Obesity and colon cancer: does leptin provide a link?” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 149–152, 2004.
- P. Stattin, R. Palmqvist, S. Söderberg et al., “Plasma leptin and colorectal cancer risk: a prospective study in Northern Sweden,” Oncology Reports, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 2015–2021, 2003.
- M. Tabuchi, J. Kitayama, and H. Nagawa, “Hypertriglyceridemia is positively correlated with the development of colorectal tubular adenoma in Japanese men,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1261–1264, 2006.
- K.-F. Liao, H.-C. Lai, S.-W. Lai, K.-C. Cheng, and C.-H. Lin, “Association between rectosigmoid adenomas and cardiovascular risk factors: a hospital-based, cross-sectional study,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 630–635, 2009.
- C. M. Burchfiel, R. D. Abbott, J. D. Curb et al., “Association of insulin levels with lipids and lipoproteins in elderly Japanese-American men,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 92–98, 1998.
- A. Laws and G. M. Reaven, “Evidence for an independent relationship between insulin resistance and fasting plasma HDL-cholesterol, triglyceride and insulin concentrations,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 1992.
- J.-E. Åkerlund, I. Björkhem, B. Angelin, L. Liljeqvist, and K. Einarsson, “Apparent selective bile acid malabsorption as a consequence of ileal exclusion: effects on bile acid, cholesterol, and lipoprotein metabolism,” Gut, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1116–1120, 1994.
- Y.-Y. Wang, S.-Y. Lin, W.-A. Lai, P.-H. Liu, and W. H.-H. Sheu, “Association between adenomas of rectosigmoid colon and metabolic syndrome features in a Chinese population,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1410–1415, 2005.
- S. Kono, K. Handa, H. Hayabuchi et al., “Obesity, weight gain and risk of colon adenomas in Japanese men,” Japanese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 90, no. 8, pp. 805–811, 1999.