- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 932478, 6 pages
Ten-Day versus 14-Day Levofloxacin-Containing Triple Therapy for Second-Line Anti-Helicobacter pylori Eradication in Taiwan
1Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung 833, Taiwan
2Division of General Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 833, Taiwan
Received 14 July 2013; Accepted 5 September 2013
Academic Editor: Chao-Hung Kuo
Copyright © 2013 Wei-Chen Tai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Y. Graham, G. M. Lew, P. D. Klein et al., “Effect of treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection on the long-term recurrence of gastric or duodenal ulcer. A randomized, controlled study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 116, no. 9, pp. 705–708, 1992.
- S. K. Chuah, F. W. Tsay, P. I. Hsu, and D. C. Wu, “A new look at anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 17, no. 35, pp. 3971–3975, 2011.
- C. H. Kuo, P. I. Hsu, F. C. Kuo, et al., “Comparison of 10 day bismuth quadruple therapy with high-dose metronidazole or levofloxacin for second-line Helicobacter pylori therapy: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 68, pp. 222–228, 2013.
- P. I. Hsu, D. C. Wu, J. Y. Wu, and D. Y. Graham, “Is there a benefit to extending the duration of Helicobacter pylori sequential therapy to 14 days?” Helicobacter, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 146–152, 2011.
- D. Y. Graham and L. Fischbach, “Helicobacter pylori treatment in the era of increasing antibiotic resistance,” Gut, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1143–1153, 2010.
- D. Y. Graham, H. Lu, and Y. Yamaoka, “A report card to grade Helicobacter pylori therapy,” Helicobacter, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 275–278, 2007.
- Y. Yamaoka, D. Y. Graham, and H. Lu, “Should triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection be abandoned as no longer effective?” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 4, pp. 65–67, 2008.
- P. Malfertheiner, F. Megraud, C. A. O'Morain et al., “Management of Helicobacter pylori infection—the Maastricht IV/ Florence Consensus Report,” Gut, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 646–664, 2012.
- T. H. Hu, S. K. Chuah, P. I. Hsu et al., “Randomized comparison of two nonbismuth-containing rescue therapies for Helicobacter pylori,” The American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 342, no. 3, pp. 177–181, 2011.
- P. I. Hsu, D. C. Wu, J. Y. Wu, and D. Y. Graham, “Modified sequential Helicobacter pylori therapy: proton pump inhibitor and amoxicillin for 14 days with clarithromycin and metronidazole added as a quadruple (hybrid) therapy for the final 7 Days,” Helicobacter, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 2011.
- C. H. Kuo, H. M. Hu, F. C. Kuo et al., “Efficacy of levofloxacin-based rescue therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection after standard triple therapy: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1017–1024, 2009.
- K. M. Fock, P. Katelaris, K. Sugano et al., “Second Asia-Pacific Conference. Second Asia-Pacific Consensus Guidelines for Helicobacter pylori infection,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1587–1600, 2009.
- J. P. Gisbert and F. De La Morena, “Systematic review and meta-analysis: levofloxacin-based rescue regimens after Helicobacter pylori treatment failure,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2006.
- H. C. Cheng, W. L. Chang, W. Y. Chen, H. B. Yang, J. J. Wu, and B. S. Sheu, “Levofloxacin-containing triple therapy to eradicate the persistent H. pylori after a failed conventional triple therapy,” Helicobacter, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 359–363, 2007.
- S. K. Chuah, P. I. Hsu, K. C. Chang et al., “Randomized comparison of two non-bismuth-containing second-line rescue therapies for Helicobacter pylori,” Helicobacter, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 216–223, 2012.
- J. Yakoob, S. Abid, W. Jafri, Z. Abbas, M. Islam, and Z. Ahmad, “Comparison of biopsy-based methods for the detection of Helicobacter pylori infection,” British Journal of Biomedical Science, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 159–162, 2006.
- N. J. Peng, K. H. Lai, R. S. Liu et al., “Clinical significance of oral urease in diagnosis of H. pylori infection by 13C-urea breath test,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 1772–1778, 2001.
- C. Bilardi, P. Dulbecco, P. Zentilin et al., “A 10-day levofloxacin-based therapy in patients with resistant Helicobacter pylori infection: a controlled trial,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 997–1002, 2004.
- R. W. Schrauwen, M. J. Janssen, and W. A. de Boer, “Seven-day PPI-triple therapy with levofloxacin is very effective for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” The Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 96–101, 2009.
- S. di Caro, F. Franceschi, A. Mariani et al., “Second-line levofloxacin-based triple schemes for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 480–485, 2009.
- J. P. Gisbert, A. Pérez-Aisa, F. Bermejo, et al., “Second-line therapy with levofloxacin after failure of treatment to eradicate Helicobacter pylori infection: time trends in a Spanish multicenter study of 1000 patients,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 47, pp. 130–135, 2013.
- P. I. Hsu, K. H. Lai, H. H. Tseng et al., “Eradication of Helicobacter pylori prevents ulcer development in patients with ulcer-like functional dyspepsia,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 2001.
- J. Yahav, H. Shmuely, Y. Niv, J. Bechor, and Z. Samra, “In vitro activity of levofloxacin against Helicobacter pylori isolates from patients after treatment failure,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 81–83, 2006.
- D. Antos, W. Schneider-Brachert, E. Bästlein et al., “7-day triple therapy of Helicobacter pylori infection with levofloxacin, amoxicillin, and high-dose esomeprazole in patients with known antimicrobial sensitivity,” Helicobacter, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2006.
- J. P. Gisbert, ““Rescue” regimens after Helicobacter pylori treatment failure,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 35, pp. 5385–5402, 2008.
- M. Tanaka, E. Isogai, H. Isogai et al., “Synergic effect of quinolone antibacterial agents and proton pump inhibitors on Helicobacter pylori,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1039–1040, 2002.
- M. Guslandi, “Review article: alternative antibacterial agents for Helicobacter pylori eradication,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1543–1547, 2001.
- Y. Matsumoto, I. Miki, N. Aoyama et al., “Levofloxacin-versus metronidazole-based rescue therapy for H. pylori infection in Japan,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 821–825, 2005.
- L. G. Coelho, L. D. Moretzsohn, W. L. Vieira et al., “New once-daily, highly effective rescue triple therapy after multiple Helicobacter pylori treatment failures: a pilot study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 783–787, 2005.
- L. Marzio, D. Coraggio, S. Capodicasa, L. Grossi, and G. Cappello, “Role of the preliminary susceptibility testing for initial and after failed therapy of Helicobacter pylori infection with levofloxacin, amoxicillin, and esomeprazole,” Helicobacter, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 237–242, 2006.
- W. M. Wong, Q. Gu, K. M. Chu et al., “Lansoprazole, levofloxacin and amoxicillin triple therapy versus quadruple therapy as second-line treatment of resistant Helicobacter pylori infection,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 421–427, 2006.
- J. M. Kim, J. S. Kim, N. Kim, S. G. Kim, H. C. Jung, and I. S. Song, “Comparison of primary and secondary antimicrobial minimum inhibitory concentrations for Helicobacter pylori isolated from Korean patients,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 6–13, 2006.
- W. C. Tai, T. H. Hu, C. H. Lee, H.-H. Chen, C. C. Huang, and S.-K. Chuah, “Ano-perianal tuberculosis: 15 years of clinical experiences in Southern Taiwan,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. e114–e120, 2010.
- J. M. Liou, C. C. Chen, M. J. Chen et al., “Empirical modified sequential therapy containing levofloxacin and high-dose esomeprazole in second-line therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: a multicentre clinical trial,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 1847–1852, 2011.
- S. Miehlke, S. Krasz, W. Schneider-Brachert et al., “Randomized trial on 14 versus 7 days of esomeprazole, moxifloxacin, and amoxicillin for second-line or rescue treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Helicobacter, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 420–426, 2011.
- S. K. Chuah, W. C. Tai, P. I. Hsu, et al., “The efficacy of second-line anti-Helicobacter pylori therapy using an extended 14-days levofloxacin/amoxicillin/protonpumpinhibitors—a pilot study,” Helicobacter, vol. 17, pp. 374–381, 2012.