- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 936792, 7 pages
Lifestyle Characteristics and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A Population-Based Study in Albania
1Department of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Tirana University, Tirana, Albania
2Service of Gastro-Hepatology, Mother Theresa University Hospital Center, Rr. “Dibrës”, No. 371, Tirana, Albania
3Department of International Health, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Received 15 December 2012; Accepted 25 January 2013
Academic Editor: P. Marco Fisichella
Copyright © 2013 Lulzim Çela et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Vakil, S. V. Van Zanten, P. Kahrilas et al., “The Montreal definition and classification of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a global evidence-based consensus,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 8, pp. 1900–1943, 2006.
- Y. Fujiwara, A. MacHida, Y. Watanabe et al., “Association between dinner-to-bed time and gastro-esophageal reflux disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 2633–2636, 2005.
- C. Jansson, M. A. Wallander, S. Johansson, R. Johnsen, and K. Hveem, “Stressful psychosocial factors and symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease: a population-based study in Norway,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2010.
- A. Ruigomez, M. A. Wallander, S. Johansson, et al., “Natural history of gastroesophageal reflux disease diagnosed in UK general practice,” Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 751–760, 2004.
- M. Diaz-Rubio, C. Moreno-Elola-Olaso, E. Rey, G. R. Locke, and F. Rodriguez-Artalejo, “Symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux: prevalence, severity, duration and associated factors in a Spanish population,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 95–105, 2004.
- I. Mohammed, L. F. Cherkas, S. A. Riley, T. D. Spector, and N. J. Trudgill, “Genetic influences in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a twin study,” Gut, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1085–1089, 2003.
- H. B. El-Serag, N. J. Petersen, J. Carter et al., “Gastroesophageal reflux among different racial groups in the United States,” Gastroenterology, vol. 126, no. 7, pp. 1692–1699, 2004.
- B. B. Dean, J. A. Crawley, C. M. Schmitt, J. Wong, and J. J. Ofman, “The burden of illness of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: impact on work productivity,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1309–1317, 2003.
- J. Dent, H. B. El-Serag, M. A. Wallander, and S. Johansson, “Epidemiology of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a systematic review,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 710–717, 2005.
- A. Gjonça and M. Bobak, “Albanian paradox, another example of protective effect of Mediterranean lifestyle?” The Lancet, vol. 350, no. 9094, pp. 1815–1817, 1997.
- L. Shapo, J. Pomerleau, M. McKee, R. Coker, and A. Ylli, “Body weight patterns in a country in transition: a population-based survey in Tirana City, Albania,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 471–477, 2003.
- J. E. Richter, G. W. Falk, and M. F. Vaezi, “Helicobacter pylori and gastroesophageal reflux disease: the bug may not be all bad,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 1800–1802, 1998.
- K. L. Goh, C. S. Chang, K. M. Fock, et al., “Gastroesophageal reflux disease in Asia,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 2000.
- B. Resuli, S. Prifti, S. Guma, and M. Stone, “Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in an Albanian population ,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 75, no. 883, p. 318, 1999.
- V. Stanghellini, “Three-month prevalence rates of gastrointestinal symptoms and the influence of demographic factors: results from the Domestic/ International Gastroenterology Surveillance Study (DIGEST),” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 33, no. 34, pp. 20–28, 1999.
- T. D. Bolin, M. G. Korman, J. Hansky, and R. Stanton, “Heartburn: community perceptions,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2000.
- G. R. Locke, N. J. Talley, S. L. Fett, A. R. Zinsmeister, and L. J. Melton, “Prevalence and clinical spectrum of gastroesophageal reflux: a population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota,” Gastroenterology, vol. 112, no. 5, pp. 1448–1456, 1997.
- C. Farup, L. Kleinman, S. Sloan et al., “The impact of nocturnal symptoms associated with gastroesophageal reflux disease on health-related quality of life,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2001.
- T. Kennedy and R. Jones, “The prevalence of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms in a UK population and the consultation behaviour of patients with these symptoms,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1589–1594, 2000.
- M. Haque, J. W. Wyeth, N. H. Stace, N. J. Talley, and R. Green, “Prevalence, severity and associated features of gastro-oesophageal reflux and dyspepsia: a population-based study,” New Zealand Medical Journal, vol. 113, no. 1110, pp. 178–181, 2000.
- G. R. Locke, N. J. Talley, S. L. Fett, A. R. Zinsmeister, and L. J. Melton, “Risk factors associated with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 642–649, 1999.
- B. C. Jacobson, S. C. Somers, C. S. Fuchs, C. P. Kelly, and C. A. Camargo Jr., “Body-mass index and symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux in women,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 22, pp. 2340–2348, 2006.
- J. Lagergren, R. Bergström, and O. Nyrén, “No relation between body mass and gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms in a Swedish population based study,” Gut, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 26–29, 2000.
- B. Kraja, G. Burazeri, and S. Prifti, “Anthropometric indices and gastro-esophageal reflux disease in adult population in Tirana, Albania,” Medicinski arhiv, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 139–141, 2008.
- H. B. El-Serag, G. A. Ergun, J. Pandolfino, S. Fitzgerald, T. Tran, and J. R. Kramer, “Obesity increases oesophageal acid exposure,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 749–755, 2007.
- M. Nocon, J. Labenz, and S. N. Willich, “Lifestyle factors and symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux—a population-based study,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 169–174, 2006.
- M. Nilsson, R. Johnsen, W. Ye, K. Hveem, and J. Lagergren, “Lifestyle related risk factors in the aetiology of gastrooesophageal reflux,” Gut, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 1730–1735, 2004.
- S. Nandurkar, G. R. Locke, S. Fett, A. R. Zinsmeister, A. J. Cameron, and N. J. Talley, “Relationship between body mass index, diet, exercise and gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms in a community,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 497–505, 2004.
- T. Djärv, A. Wikman, H. Nordenstedt, A. Johar, J. Lagergren, and P. Lagergren, “Physical activity, obesity and gastroesophageal reflux disease in the general population,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 28, pp. 3710–3714, 2012.
- A. Meining and M. Classen, “The role of diet and lifestyle measures in the pathogenesis and treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 2692–2697, 2000.
- P. Jozkozv, D. Wasko-Czopnik, M. Medras, and L. Paradowski, “Gastroesophageal reflux disease and physical activity,” Sports Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 385–391, 2006.
- J. E. Pandolfino, L. K. Bianchi, T. J. Lee, I. Hirano, and P. J. Kahrilas, “Esophagogastric junction morphology predicts susceptibility to exercise-induced reflux,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 1430–1436, 2004.