- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 951034, 8 pages
PCR-Based Detection and Genotyping of Helicobacter pylori in Endoscopic Biopsy Samples from Brazilian Patients
1Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13081-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Nursing Course, Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul (UFMS), 79620-080 Três Lagoas, MS, Brazil
3Gastrocentro, State University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-878 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 23 August 2012; Revised 16 December 2012; Accepted 23 December 2012
Academic Editor: Vikram Kate
Copyright © 2013 Silvia M. Ferreira Menoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Y. Graham, H. M. Malaty, D. G. Evans, D. J. Evans, P. D. Klein, and E. Adam, “Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori in an asymptomatic population in the United States: effect of age, race, and socioeconomic status,” Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1495–1501, 1991.
- J. M. Scheiman and A. F. Cutler, “Helicobacter pylori and gastric cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 222–226, 1999.
- C. P. Dooley, H. Cohen, P. L. Fitzgibbons et al., “Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection and histologic gastritis in asymptomatic persons,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 321, no. 23, pp. 1562–1566, 1989.
- N. S. Taylor, J. G. Fox, N. S. Akopyants et al., “Long-term colonization with single and multiple strains of Helicobacter pylori assessed by DNA fingerprinting,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 918–923, 1995.
- F. Megraud, “Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 73–88, 1993.
- J. C. Atherton, “The clinical relevance of strain types of Helicobacter pylori,” Gut, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 701–703, 1997.
- M. Radić, D. M. Kaliterna, and J. Radić, “Helicobacter pylori infection and systemic sclerosis-is there a link?” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 337–340, 2011.
- V. Bassi, C. Santinelli, A. Iengo, and C. Romano, “Identification of a Correlation between Helicobacter pylori Infection and Graves' Disease,” Helicobacter, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 558–562, 2010.
- R. Jesnowski, B. Isaksson, C. Möhrcke et al., “Helicobacter pylori in autoimmune pancreatitis and pancreatic carcinoma,” Pancreatology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 462–466, 2010.
- M. F. Go and D. Y. Graham, “How does Helicobacter pylori cause duodenal ulcer disease: the bug, the host, or both?” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 9, supplement 1, pp. S8–S10, 1994.
- A. Labigne and H. De Reuse, “Determinants of Helicobacter pylori pathogenicity,” Infectious Agents and Disease, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 191–202, 1996.
- B. E. Dunn, H. Cohen, and M. J. Blaser, “Helicobacter pylori,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 720–741, 1997.
- L. G. Davis, M. D. Dibner, and J. F. Battey, Basic Metthods in Molecular Biology, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- D. S. Latchman, PCR Applications in Pathology. Principles and Practice, Oxford University Press, 1995.
- R. K. Saiki, S. Scharf, and F. Faloona, “Enzymatic amplification of β-globin genomic sequences and restriction site analysis for diagnosis of sickle cell anemia,” Science, vol. 230, no. 4732, pp. 1350–1354, 1985.
- C. Li, T. Ha, D. S. Chi et al., “Differentiation of Helicobacter pylori strains directly from gastric biopsy specimens by PCR-based restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis without culture,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 3021–3025, 1997.
- E. Kague, C. M. Thomazini, M. I. D. C. M. Pardini, F. De Carvalho, C. V. Leite, and N. A. Pinheiro, “Methylation status of CDH1 gene in samples of gastric mucous from Brazilian patients with chronic gastritis infected by Helicobacter pylori,” Arquivos de Gastroenterologia, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2010.
- N. Dorrell, J. E. Crabtree, and B. W. Wren, “Host-bacterial interactions and the pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 379–380, 1998.
- N. C. Quaglia, A. Dambrosio, G. Normanno, and G. V. Celano, “Evaluation of a Nested-PCR assay based on the phosphoglucosamine mutase gene (glmM) for the detection of Helicobacter pylori from raw milk,” Food Control, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 2009.
- L.-J. Van Doorn, C. Figueiredo, R. Sanna et al., “Expanding allelic diversity of Helicobacter pylori vacA,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 2597–2603, 1998.
- A. A. Van Zwet, J. C. Thijs, A. M. D. Kooistra-Smid, J. Schirm, and J. A. M. Snijder, “Sensitivity of culture compared with that of polymerase chain reaction for detection of Helicobacter pylori from antral biopsy samples,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1918–1920, 1993.
- L. Engstrand, C. Pahlson, S. Gustavsson, and A. Schwan, “Monoclonal antibodies for rapid identification of Campylobacter pyloridis,” The Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8520, pp. 1402–1403, 1986.
- H. Lamouliatte, J. Hua, C. Birac, R. Caular, and F. Mégraud, “Posttreatment follow-up of anti-Helicobacter pylori regimen: standard bacteriology or PCR?” Acta Gastro-Enterologica Belgica, vol. 56, supplement, pp. 104–119, 1993.
- F. Mégraud, “Advantages and disadvantages of current diagnostic tests for the detection of Helicobacter pylori,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, Supplement, vol. 31, no. 215, pp. 57–62, 1996.
- R. P. H. Logan and D. E. Berg, “Genetic diversity of Helicobacter pylori,” The Lancet, vol. 348, no. 9040, pp. 1462–1463, 1996.
- T. L. Cover, “The vacuolating cytotoxin of Helicobacter pylori,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 241–246, 1996.
- K. J. Forbes, Z. Fang, and T. H. Pennington, “Allelic variation in the Helicobacter pyloriflagellin genes flaA and flaB: its consequences for strain typing schemes and population structure,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 257–266, 1995.
- N. Akopyanz, N. O. Bukanov, T. U. Westblom, and D. E. Berg, “PCR-based RFLP analysis of DNA sequence diversity in the gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 20, no. 23, pp. 6221–6225, 1992.
- D. E. Taylor, M. Eaton, N. Chang, and S. M. Salama, “Construction of a Helicobacter pylori genome map and demonstration of diversity at the genome level,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 174, no. 21, pp. 6800–6806, 1992.
- N. Akopyanz, N. O. Bukanov, T. U. Westblom, S. Kresovich, and D. E. Berg, “DNA diversity among clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori detected by PCR-based RAPD fingerprinting,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 5137–5142, 1992.
- M. Desai, D. Linton, R. J. Owen, and J. Stanley, “Molecular typing of Helicobacter pylori isolates from asymptomatic, ulcer and gastritis patients by urease gene polymorphism,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 151–160, 1994.
- M. J. Blaser, “Intrastrain differences in Helicobacter pylori: a key question in mucosal damage?” Annals of Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 559–563, 1995.
- “NIH Consensus Conference. Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer disease. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Helicobacter pylori in Peptic Ulcer Disease,” JAMA, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1994.
- C. L. Clayton, H. Kleanthous, D. D. Morgan, L. Puckey, and S. Tabaqchali, “Rapid fingerprinting of Helicobacter pylori by polymerase chain reaction and restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1420–1425, 1993.
- P. A. Foxall, L. T. Hu, and H. L. T. Mobley, “Use of polymerase chain reaction-amplified Helicobacter pylori urease structural genes for differentiation of isolates,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 739–741, 1992.
- S. Fujimoto, B. Marshall, and M. J. Blaser, “PCR-based restriction fragment length polymorphism typing of Helicobacter pylori,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 331–334, 1994.
- C. R. Lopez, R. J. Owen, and M. Desai, “Differentiation between isolates of Helicobacter pylori by PCR-RFLP analysis of urease A and B genes and comparison with ribosomal RNA gene patterns,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 1993.
- R. A. Moore, A. Kureishi, S. Wong, and L. E. Bryan, “Categorization of clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori on the basis of restriction digest analyses of polymerase chain reaction-amplified ureC genes,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1334–1335, 1993.