- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 108073, 5 pages
Pelvic Radiation Disease Management by Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Prospective Study of 44 Patients
1Aix-Marseille University, UMR 911, Campus Santé Timone, 13005 Marseille, France
2Department of Digestive Surgery, AP-HM Timone Hospital, Pôle DACCORD, 13385 Marseille, France
3Atelier Provençal d'écriture Médicale, France
4Hyperbaric Medicine, Sainte Marguerite Hospital, Aix-Marseille University, UMR MD2, 13385 Marseille, France
5Department of Gastroenterology, AP-HM Timone Hospital, Pôle DACCORD, 13385 Marseille, France
Received 22 June 2013; Revised 8 October 2013; Accepted 4 November 2013; Published 27 January 2014
Academic Editor: Lorenzo Fuccio
Copyright © 2014 Mehdi Ouaïssi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Zelefsky, K. E. Wallner, C. C. Ling et al., “Comparison of the 5-year outcome and morbidity of three-dimensional conformai radiotherapy versus transperineal permanent iodine-125 implantation for early-stage prostatic cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 517–522, 1999.
- S. Girnius, N. Cersonsky, L. Gesell, S. Cico, and W. Barrett, “Treatment of refractory radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitis with hyperbaric oxygen therapy,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 588–592, 2006.
- H. J. N. Andreyev, “Gastrointestinal problems after pelvic radiotherapy: the past, the present and the future,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 790–799, 2007.
- H. J. N. Andreyev, A. Wotherspoon, J. W. Denham, and M. Hauer-Jensen, “Defining pelvic-radiation disease for the survivorship era,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 310–312, 2010.
- W. M. Mendenhall, B. T. McKibben, B. S. Happe, R. C. Nichols, R. H. Henderson, and N. P. Mendenhall, “Management of radiation proctitis,” American Journal of Clinical Oncology. In press.
- M. H. Bennett, J. Feldmeier, N. Hampson, R. Smee, and C. Milross, “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for late radiation tissue injury,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 5, no. 3, 2005.
- J. Charneau, G. Bouachour, B. Person, P. Burtin, J. Ronceray, and J. Boyer, “Severe hemorrhagic radiation proctitis advancing to gradual cessation with hyperbaric oxygen,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 373–375, 1991.
- J. J. Feldmeier and N. B. Hampson, “A systematic review of the literature reporting the application of hyperbaric oxygen prevention and treatment of delayed radiation injuries: an evidence based approach,” Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 4–30, 2002.
- P. Rubin, L. S. Constine, L. F. Fajardo, T. L. Phillips, and T. H. Wasserman, “Overview: late effects of normal tissues (LENT) scoring system,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1041–1042, 1995.
- H. B. Stone, C. N. Coleman, M. S. Anscher, and W. H. McBride, “Effects of radiation on normal tissue: consequences and mechanisms,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 529–536, 2003.
- D. V. Gopal, “Diseases of the rectum and anus: a clinical approach to common disorders,” Clinical Cornerstone, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 34–46, 2002.
- R. M. Leach, P. J. Rees, and P. Wilmshurst, “ABC of oxygen: hyperbaric oxygen therapy,” British Medical Journal, vol. 317, no. 7166, pp. 1140–1143, 1998.
- M. J. Johnston, G. M. Robertson, and F. A. Frizelle, “Management of late complications of pelvic radiation in the rectum and anus: a review,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 247–259, 2003.
- D. Hayne and A. E. Smith, “Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of chronic refractory radiation proctitis: a randomized and controlled double-blind crossover trial with long-term follow-up,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 134–143, 2008.
- T. C. S. Woo, D. Joseph, and H. Oxer, “Hyperbaric oxygen treatment for radiation proctitis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 619–622, 1997.
- J. J. Feldmeier, R. D. Heimbach, D. A. Davolt, M. J. Brakora, P. J. Sheffield, and A. T. Porter, “Does hyperbaric oxygen have a cancer-causing or -promoting effect? A review of the pertinent literature,” Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 467–475, 1994.
- R. Mayer, H. Klemen, F. Quehenberger et al., “Hyperbaric oxygen—an effective tool to treat radiation morbidity in prostate cancer,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 2001.
- R. D. Ennis, “Hyperbaric oxygen for the treatment of radiation cystitis and proctitis,” Current urology reports, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 229–231, 2002.
- C. Plafki, P. Peters, M. Almeling, W. Welslau, and R. Busch, “Complications and side effects of hyperbaric oxygen therapy,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 119–124, 2000.
- N. Oscarsson, P. Arnell, P. Lodding, S. E. Ricksten, and H. Seeman-Lodding, “Hyperbaric oxygen treatment in radiation-induced cystitis and proctitis: a prospective cohort study on patient-perceived quality of recovery,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 15, no. 87, pp. 670–675, 2013.
- C. Oliai, B. Fisher, A. Jani et al., “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation-induced cystitis and proctitis,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 1, no. 84, pp. 733–740, 2012.
- F. Mornex, M. Bolla, J. J. Pavy, and J. J. Mazeron, “Late effects of ionizing radiations on normal tissues,” Cancer Radiothérapie, vol. 1, no. 6, p. 621, 1997.