- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 125038, 9 pages
Gastric Cancer in the Young: Is It a Different Clinical Entity? A Retrospective Cohort Study
1Department of Surgery, Clinica Chirurgica, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Presidio Policlinico di Monserrato, Blocco G, SS 554, km 4,500, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
2Clinica Chirurgica, University of Cagliari, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Presidio Policlinico di Monserrato, Blocco G, SS 554 km 4, 500-09042 Monserrato, Italy
Received 18 November 2013; Revised 30 December 2013; Accepted 30 December 2013; Published 13 February 2014
Academic Editor: Antoni Castells
Copyright © 2014 Adolfo Pisanu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- Y. Bai and Z.-S. Li, “Endoscopic, clinicopathological features and prognosis of very young patients with gastric cancer,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1626–1629, 2011.
- W. F. Anderson, M. C. Camargo, J. F. Fraumeni Jr., P. Correa, P. S. Rosenberg, and C. S. Rabkin, “Age-specific trends in incidence of noncardia gastric cancer in US adults,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 303, no. 17, pp. 1723–1728, 2010.
- L. H. Kuller, “Age-adjusted death rates: a hazard to epidemiology?” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 91–92, 1999.
- W. B. Al-Refaie, C.-Y. Hu, P. W. T. Pisters, and G. J. Chang, “Gastric adenocarcinoma in young patients: a population-based appraisal,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 2800–2807, 2011.
- H. W. Chung, S. H. Noh, and J.-B. Lim, “Analysis of demographic characteristics in 3242 young age gastric cancer patients in Korea,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 256–263, 2010.
- J. F. Lai, S. Kim, C. Li et al., “Clinicopathologic characteristics and prognosis for young gastric adenocarcinoma patients after curative resection,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1464–1469, 2008.
- A. Ramos-de la Medina, N. Salgado-Nesme, G. Torres-Villalobos, and H. Medina-Franco, “Clinicopathologic characteristics of gastric cancer in a young patient population,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 240–244, 2004.
- J.-H. Choi, H. C. Chung, N. C. Yoo et al., “Gastric cancer in young patients who underwent curative resection: comparative study with older patients,” The American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 1996.
- J. Parsonnet, G. D. Friedman, D. P. Vandersteen et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 325, no. 16, pp. 1127–1131, 1991.
- R. Santoro, F. Carboni, P. Lepiane, G. M. Ettorre, and E. Santoro, “Clinicopathological features and prognosis of gastric cancer in young European adults,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 94, no. 6, pp. 737–742, 2007.
- A. Pisanu, A. Montisci, S. Piu, and A. Uccheddu, “Curative surgery for gastric cancer in the elderly: treatment decisions, surgical morbidity, mortality, prognosis and quality of life,” Tumori, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 478–484, 2007.
- Japanese Gastric Cancer Association, “Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma: 2nd English edition,” Gastric Cancer, vol. 1, pp. 10–24, 1998.
- R. Kath, J. Fiehler, C. P. Schneider, and K. Höffken, “Gastric cancer in very young adults: apropos four patients and a review of the literature,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 233–237, 2000.
- J. P. Vandenbroucke, E. Von Elm, D. G. Altman et al., “Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1628–1654, 2007.
- X. Kong, J.-L. Wang, H.-M. Chen, and J.-Y. Fang, “Comparison of the clinicopathological characteristics of young and Elderly patients with gastric carcinoma: a meta analysis,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 106, pp. 346–352, 2012.
- C. W. Schildberg, R. Croner, V. Schellerer et al., “Differences in the treatment of young gastric cancer patients: patients under 50 years have better 5-year survival than older patients,” Advances in Medical Sciences, vol. 57, pp. 259–265, 2012.
- P. Piso, H. Bektas, U. Werner et al., “Comparison between treatment results for gastric cancer in younger and elderly patients,” Zentralblatt fur Chirurgie, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 270–274, 2002.
- A. C. de Vries and E. J. Kuipers, “Gastric cancer in young patients: clues on a possible separate entity requiring a watchful approach,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1581–1582, 2011.
- J. H. Nam, I. J. Choi, S.-J. Cho et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and histological changes in siblings of young gastric cancer patients,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1157–1163, 2011.
- M. Hirahashi, T. Yao, T. Matsumoto et al., “Intramucosal gastric adenocarcinoma of poorly differentiated type in the young is characterized by Helicobacter pylori infection and antral lymphoid hyperplasia,” Modern Pathology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 29–34, 2007.
- R. Nakamura, Y. Saikawa, T. Takahashi et al., “Retrospective analysis of prognostic outcome of gastric cancer in young patients,” International Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 328–334, 2011.
- M.-Z. Qiu, Z.-Q. Wang, D.-S. Zhang et al., “Clinicopathological characteristics and prognostic analysis of gastric cancer in the young adult in China,” Tumor Biology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 509–514, 2011.
- J. B. Koea, M. S. Karpeh, and M. F. Brennan, “Gastric cancer in young patients: demographic, clinicopathological, and prognostic factors in 92 patients,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 346–351, 2000.
- A. Tavares, A. Gandra, F. Viveiros, C. Cidade, and J. Maciel, “Analysis of clinicopathologic characteristics and prognosis of gastric cancer in young and older patients,” Pathology and Oncology Research, vol. 19, pp. 111–117, 2013.
- P. Guilford, B. Humar, and V. Blair, “Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: translation of CDH1 germline mutations into clinical practice,” Gastric Cancer, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2010.