- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 342986, 6 pages
Impact of Rechallenge with Imatinib in Patients with Advanced Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor after Failure of Imatinib and Sunitinib
1Department of Gastroenterology, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, 1-1 Kanokoden, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8681, Japan
2Digestive and General Surgery 2 Division, Niigata University Hospital, 754 Ichibancho, Asahimachidori, Chuo-ku, Niigata-shi, Niigata 951-8510, Japan
3Department of Cancer Chemotherapy, Hokkaido University Hospital, Cancer Center, Kita 14-jo Nishi 5-chome, Kita-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido 060-8648, Japan
4Department of Surgery, Osaka University, School of Medicine, 2-2 Yamadaoka, Suita-shi, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 7 May 2013; Accepted 27 December 2013; Published 22 January 2014
Academic Editor: Paul Enck
Copyright © 2014 Akira Sawaki et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Miettinen and J. Lasota, “Gastrointestinal stromal tumors—definition, clinical, histological, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetic features and differential diagnosis,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 438, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- M. Sarlomo-Rikala, A. J. Kovatich, A. Barusevicius, and M. Miettinen, “CD117: a sensitive marker for gastrointestinal stromal tumors that is more specific than CD34,” Modern Pathology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 728–734, 1998.
- S. Hirota, K. Isozaki, Y. Moriyama et al., “Gain-of-function mutations of c-kit in human gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Science, vol. 279, no. 5350, pp. 577–580, 1998.
- K. Sircar, B. R. Hewlett, J. D. Huizinga, K. Chorneyko, I. Berezin, and R. H. Riddell, “Interstitial cells of cajal as precursors of gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 377–389, 1999.
- L. Wang, H. Vargas, and S. W. French, “Cellular origin of gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a study of 27 cases,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 124, no. 10, pp. 1471–1475, 2000.
- R. P. DeMatteo, J. J. Lewis, D. Leung, S. S. Mudan, J. M. Woodruff, and M. F. Brennan, “Two hundred gastrointestinal stromal tumors: recurrence patterns and prognostic factors for survival,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2000.
- J.-P. E. N. Pierie, U. Choudry, A. Muzikansky, B. Y. Yeap, W. W. Souba, and M. J. Ott, “The effect of surgery and grade on outcome of gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 136, no. 4, pp. 383–389, 2001.
- M. C. Heinrich, C. L. Corless, G. D. Demetri et al., “Kinase mutations and imatinib response in patients with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 4342–4349, 2003.
- M. C. Heinrich, C. L. Corless, A. Duensing et al., “PDGFRA activating mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Science, vol. 299, no. 5607, pp. 708–710, 2003.
- G. D. Demetri, M. Von Mehren, C. D. Blanke et al., “Efficacy and safety of imatinib mesylate in advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 7, pp. 472–480, 2002.
- H. Joensuu, C. Fletcher, S. Dimitrijevic, S. Silberman, P. Roberts, and G. Demetri, “Management of malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumours,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 655–664, 2002.
- J. Verweij, P. G. Casali, J. Zalcberg et al., “Progression-free survival in gastrointestinal stromal tumours with high-dose imatinib: randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 364, no. 9440, pp. 1127–1134, 2004.
- T. J. Abrams, L. B. Lee, L. J. Murray, et al., “SU11248 inhibits KIT and platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta in preclinical models of human small cell lung cancer,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 2, pp. 471–478, 2003.
- D. B. Mendel, A. Douglas Laird, X. Xin et al., “In vivo antitumor activity of SU11248, a novel tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor receptors: determination of a pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic relationship,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 1 I, pp. 327–337, 2003.
- L. J. Murray, T. J. Abrams, K. R. Long et al., “SU11248 inhibits tumor growth and CSF-1R-dependent osteolysis in an experimental breast cancer bone metastasis model,” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 757–766, 2003.
- A.-M. O'Farrell, T. J. Abrams, H. A. Yuen et al., “SU11248 is a novel FLT3 tyrosine kinase inhibitor with potent activity in vitro and in vivo,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 3597–3605, 2003.
- K. L. Osusky, D. E. Hallahan, A. Fu, F. Ye, Y. Shyr, and L. Geng, “The receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor SU11248 impedes endothelial cell migration, tubule formation, and blood vessel formation in vivo, but has little effect on existing tumor vessels,” Angiogenesis, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 225–233, 2004.
- A. J. Schueneman, E. Himmelfarb, L. Geng et al., “SU11248 maintenance therapy prevents tumor regrowth after fractionated irradiation of murine tumor models,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 14, pp. 4009–4016, 2003.
- G. D. Demetri, A. T. van Oosterom, C. R. Garrett et al., “Efficacy and safety of sunitinib in patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumour after failure of imatinib: a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 368, no. 9544, pp. 1329–1338, 2006.
- G. D. Demetri, P. Reichardt, Y. K. Kang, et al., “Efficacy and safety of regorafenib for advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumours after failure of imatinib and sunitinib (GRID): an international, multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial,” The Lancet, vol. 381, pp. 295–302, 2013.
- P. G. Casali, L. Jost, P. Reichardt, M. Schlemmer, and J.-Y. Blay, “Gastrointestinal stromal tumours: ESMO Clinical Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. iv64–iv67, 2009.
- R. S. Benjamin, H. Choi, H. A. Macapinlac et al., “We should desist using RECIST, at least in GIST,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 1760–1764, 2007.
- H. Choi, C. Charnsangavej, S. C. Faria et al., “Correlation of computed tomography and positron emission tomography in patients with metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor treated at a single institution with imatinib mesylate: Proposal of new computed tomography response criteria,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 1753–1759, 2007.
- J.-L. Lee, M.-H. Ryu, H. M. Chang et al., “Clinical outcome in gastrointestinal stromal tumor patients who interrupted imatinib after achieving stable disease or better response,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 704–711, 2006.
- J.-Y. Blay, A. Le Cesne, I. Ray-Coquard et al., “Prospective multicentric randomized phase III study of imatinib in patients with advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors comparing interruption versus continuation of treatment beyond 1 year: the French sarcoma group,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1107–1113, 2007.
- J. Domont, J. Blay, I. L. Ray-Coquard, et al., “Influence of imatinib interruption and imatinib rechallenge on the residual tumor volume in patients with advanced GIST: result of the BFR14 prospective French Sarcoma Group randomized phase III trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, Article ID 10054, 2011.
- B. Liegl, I. Kepten, C. Le et al., “Heterogeneity of kinase inhibitor resistance mechanisms in GIST,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 216, no. 1, pp. 64–74, 2008.
- M. C. Heinrich, C. L. Corless, C. D. Blanke et al., “Molecular correlates of imatinib resistance in gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 29, pp. 4764–4774, 2006.
- N. P. Agaram, P. Besmer, G. C. Wong et al., “Pathologic and molecular heterogeneity in imatinib-stable or imatinib-responsive gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 170–181, 2007.
- H. Prenen, J. Cools, N. Mentens et al., “Efficacy of the kinase inhibitor SU11248 against gastrointestinal stromal tumor mutants refractory to imatinib mesylate,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 2622–2627, 2006.
- E. Wardelmann, S. Merkelbach-Bruse, K. Pauls et al., “Polyclonal evolution of multiple secondary KIT mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors under treatment with imatinib mesylate,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1743–1749, 2006.