- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 436985, 7 pages
Prognostic and Predictive Value of CpG Island Methylator Phenotype in Patients with Locally Advanced Nonmetastatic Sporadic Colorectal Cancer
1Department of Colorectal Surgery, Fudan University, 270 Dong An Road, Shanghai 200032, China
2Department of Oncology, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University, 270 Dong An Road, Shanghai 200032, China
Received 11 November 2013; Accepted 17 December 2013; Published 14 January 2014
Academic Editor: Qi Li
Copyright © 2014 Yuwei Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Siegel, D. Naishadham, and A. Jemal, “Cancer statistics, 2013,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 11–30, 2013.
- M. Toyota, N. Ahuja, M. Ohe-Toyota, J. G. Herman, S. B. Baylin, and J.-P. J. Issa, “CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 15, pp. 8681–8686, 1999.
- N. Hawkins, M. Norrie, K. Cheong et al., “CpG island methylation in sporadic colorectal cancers and its relationship to microsatellite instability,” Gastroenterology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 1376–1387, 2002.
- D. J. Weisenberger, K. D. Siegmund, M. Campan et al., “CpG island methylator phenotype underlies sporadic microsatellite instability and is tightly associated with BRAF mutation in colorectal cancer,” Nature Genetics, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 787–793, 2006.
- A. Goel, T. Nagasaka, C. N. Arnold et al., “The CpG island methylator phenotype and chromosomal instability are inversely correlated in sporadic colorectal cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 1, pp. 127–138, 2007.
- A. M. Jubb, S. M. Bell, and P. Quirke, “Methylation and colorectal cancer,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 195, no. 1, pp. 111–134, 2001.
- S. B. Edge and C. C. Compton, “The american joint committee on cancer: the 7th edition of the AJCC cancer staging manual and the future of TNM,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1471–1474, 2010.
- G. Cai, Y. Xu, H. Lu et al., “Clinicopathologic and molecular features of sporadic microsatellite- and chromosomal-stable colorectal cancers,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 365–373, 2008.
- L. A. E. Hughes, C. A. J. Khalid-de Bakker, K. M. Smits et al., “The CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancer: progress and problems,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1825, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2012.
- J. R. Jass, “Classification of colorectal cancer based on correlation of clinical, morphological and molecular features,” Histopathology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 113–130, 2007.
- W. S. Samowitz, H. Albertsen, J. Herrick et al., “Evaluation of a large, population-based sample supports a CpG island methylator phenotype in colon cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 837–845, 2005.
- R. L. Ward, K. Cheong, S.-L. Ku, A. Meagher, T. O'Connor, and N. J. Hawkins, “Adverse prognostic effect of methylation in colorectal cancer is reversed by microsatellite instability,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 20, pp. 3729–3736, 2003.
- S. Lee, N.-Y. Cho, E. J. Yoo, J. H. Kim, and G. H. Kang, “CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancers: comparison of the new and classic CPG island methylator phenotype marker panels,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 132, no. 10, pp. 1657–1665, 2008.
- L. Barault, C. Charon-Barra, V. Jooste et al., “Hypermethylator phenotype in sporadic colon cancer: study on a population-based series of 582 cases,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 20, pp. 8541–8546, 2008.
- S. Lee, N.-Y. Cho, M. Choi, E. J. Yoo, J.-H. Kim, and G. H. Kang, “Clinicopathological features of CpG island methylator phenotype-positive colorectal cancer and its adverse prognosis in relation to KRAS/BRAF mutation,” Pathology International, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 104–113, 2008.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Shin, H. J. Kwon, N. Y. Cho, and G. H. Kang, “Prognostic implications of CpG island hypermethylator phenotype in colorectal cancers,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 455, no. 6, pp. 485–494, 2009.
- S. Ogino, K. Nosho, G. J. Kirkner et al., “CpG island methylator phenotype, microsatellite instability, BRAF mutation and clinical outcome in colon cancer,” Gut, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 90–96, 2009.
- S. Ogino, J. A. Meyerhardt, T. Kawasaki et al., “CpG island methylation, response to combination chemotherapy, and patient survival in advanced microsatellite stable colorectal carcinoma,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 450, no. 5, pp. 529–537, 2007.
- L. Shen, P. J. Catalano, A. B. Benson III, P. O'Dwyer, S. R. Hamilton, and J.-P. J. Issa, “Association between DNA methylation and shortened survival in patients with advanced colorectal cancer treated with 5-fluorouracil-based chemotherapy,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 20, pp. 6093–6098, 2007.
- R. Jover, T. Nguyen, L. Prezcarbonell et al., “5-fluorouracil adjuvant chemotherapy does not increase survival in patients with CpG island methylator phenotype colorectal cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 140, no. 4, pp. 1174–1181, 2011.
- M. Van Rijnsoever, H. Elsaleh, D. Joseph, K. McCaul, and B. Iacopetta, “CpG island methylator phenotype is an independent predictor of survival benefit from 5-fluorouracil in stage III colorectal cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 2898–2903, 2003.
- B.-H. Min, J. M. Bae, E. J. Lee et al., “The CpG island methylator phenotype may confer a survival benefit in patients with stage II or III colorectal carcinomas receiving fluoropyrimidine-based adjuvant chemotherapy,” BMC Cancer, vol. 11, article 344, 2011.
- A. Rashid, L. Shen, J. S. Morris, J.-P. J. Issa, and S. R. Hamilton, “CpG island methylation in colorectal adenomas,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 1129–1135, 2001.
- M. Toyota, N. Ahuja, H. Suzuki et al., “Aberrant methylation in gastric cancer associated with the CpG island methylator phenotype,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 21, pp. 5438–5442, 1999.
- H. Yamamoto, Y. Min, F. Itoh et al., “Differential involvement of the hypermethylator phenotype in hereditary and sporadic colorectal cancers with high-frequency microsatellite instability,” Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 322–325, 2002.
- H. Kim, Y. H. Kim, S. E. Kim, N.-G. Kim, S. H. Noh, and H. Kim, “Concerted promoter hypermethylation of hMLHI, p16INK4A, and E-cadherin in gastric carcinomas with microsatellite instability,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 200, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2003.