- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Hepatitis Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 832021, 4 pages
Hepatitis C Virus Core Antigen Test in Monitoring of Dialysis Patients
1Nephrology and Dialysis, ARNAS Civico and Di Cristina Hospital, Via Francesco Cilea 43, 90144 Palermo, Italy
2Microbiology and Virology, ARNAS Civico and Di Cristina Hospital, Palermo, Italy
Received 16 July 2012; Revised 10 November 2012; Accepted 11 November 2012
Academic Editor: Mikio Zeniya
Copyright © 2012 Gioacchino Li Cavoli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Recommendations for preventing transmission of infections among chronic haemodialysis patients,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 50, pp. 1–43, 2001.
- L. Finelli, J. T. Miller, J. I. Tokars, M. J. Alter, and M. J. Arduino, “National surveillance of dialysis-associated diseases in the United States, 2002,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 52–61, 2005.
- R. S. Ross, S. Viazov, R. Clauberg et al., “Lack of de novo hepatitis C virus infections and absence of nosocomial transmissions of GB virus C in a large cohort of German haemodialysis patients,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 230–238, 2009.
- S. Nakai, K. Suzuki, I. Masakane et al., “Overview of regular dialysis treatment in Japan (as of 31 December 2008),” Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 505–540, 2010.
- D. R. Scott, J. K. W. Wong, T. S. Spicer et al., “Adverse impact of hepatitis C virus infection on renal replacement therapy and renal transplant patients in Australia and New Zealand,” Transplantation, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1165–1171, 2010.
- S. Laperche, N. Le Marrec, A. Girault et al., “Simultaneous detection of hepatitis C virus (HCV) core antigen and anti-HCV antibodies improves the early detection of HCV infection,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 3877–3883, 2005.
- “KDIGO clinical practice guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of hepatitis C in chronic kidney disease,” Kidney International, vol. 73, pp. S1–S99, 2008.
- P. Veillon, C. Payan, G. Picchio, M. Maniez-Montreuil, P. Guntz, and F. Lunel, “Comparative evaluation of the total hepatitis C virus core antigen, branched-DNA, and amplicor monitor assays in determining viremia for patients with chronic hepatitis C during interferon plus ribavirin combination therapy,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 3212–3220, 2003.
- F. Fabrizi, G. Lunghi, F. Aucella et al., “Novel assay using total hepatitis C virus (HCV) core antigen quantification for diagnosis of HCV infection in dialysis patients,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 414–420, 2005.
- N. Bouzgarrou, I. Fodha, S. Ben Othman et al., “Evaluation of a total core antigen assay for the diagnosis of hepatitis C virus infection in hemodialysis patients,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 502–508, 2005.
- M. Miedouge, K. Saune, N. Kamar, M. Rieu, L. Rostaing, and J. Izopet, “Analytical evaluation of HCV core antigen and interest for HCV screening in haemodialysis patients,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 2010.
- C. O. Stehman-Breen, S. Emerson, D. Gretch, and R. J. Johnson, “Risk of death among chronic dialysis patients infected with hepatitis C virus,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 629–634, 1998.
- E. Nakayama, T. Akiba, F. Marumo, and C. Sato, “Prognosis of anti-hepatitis C virus antibody-positive patients on regular hemodialysis therapy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1896–1902, 2000.
- M. Espinosa, A. Martin-Malo, M. A. A. De Lara, and P. Aljama, “Risk of death and liver cirrhosis in anti-HCV-positive long-term haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1669–1674, 2001.
- D. A. Goodkin, J. L. Bragg-Gresham, K. G. Koenig et al., “Association of comorbid conditions and mortality in hemodialysis patients in Europe, Japan, and the United States: the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS),” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3270–3277, 2003.
- F. Fabrizi, B. Takkouche, G. Lunghi, V. Dixit, P. Messa, and P. Martin, “The impact of hepatitis C virus infection on survival in dialysis patients: meta-analysis of observational studies,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 697–703, 2007.
- M. Ohsawa, K. Kato, K. Tanno, et al., “Seropositivity for anti-HCV core antigen is independently associated with increased all-cause, cardiovascular, and liver disease-related mortality in hemodialysis patients,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 491–499, 2011.
- A. Di Napoli, P. Pezzotti, D. Di Lallo, N. Petrosillo, C. Trivelloni, and S. Di Giulio, “Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus among long-term dialysis patients: a 9-year study in an Italian region,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 629–637, 2006.
- F. Fabrizi, V. Dixit, P. Messa, and P. Martin, “Hepatitis C- related liver disease in dialysis patients,” in Hepatitis C in Renal Disease, Hemodialysis and Transplantation. Contributions to Nephrology, J. M. Morales, Ed., vol. 176, pp. 42–53, Karger, Basel, Switzerland, 2012.
- M. Ohsawa, K. Kato, K. Itai et al., “Standardized prevalence ratios for chronic hepatitis C virus infection among adult Japanese hemodialysis patients,” Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2010.
- A. Kato, T. Takita, M. Furuhashi, T. Fujimoto, H. Suzuki, and Y. Maruyama, “Association of HCV core antigen seropositivity with long-term mortality in patients on regular hemodialysis,” Nephron Extra, vol. 2, pp. 76–86, 2012.