- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 709052, 8 pages
The Dynamics of Glutathione Species and Ophthalmate Concentrations in Plasma from the VX2 Rabbit Model of Secondary Liver Tumors
1Division of Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery, Department of Surgery, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals, Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Lakeside 7510, PS 5047, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
2Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals, Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Lakeside 7510, PS 5047, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Received 26 June 2010; Accepted 11 January 2011
Academic Editor: Christos G. Dervenis
Copyright © 2011 R. Abbas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Fact Sheet No 297,” February 2009, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/.
- H. B. El-Serag, “Hepatocellular carcinoma: recent trends in the United States,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, pp. S27–S34, 2004.
- M. Fuss and C. R. Thomas Jr., “Stereotactic body radiation therapy: an ablative treatment option for primary and secondary liver tumors,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 130–138, 2004.
- M. Sherman, K. M. Peltekian, and C. Lee, “Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic carriers of hepatitis B virus: incidence and prevalence of hepatocellular carcinoma in a North American urban population,” Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 432–438, 1995.
- H. Oka, A. Tamori, T. Kuroki, K. Kobayashi, and S. Yamamoto, “Prospective study of α-fetoprotein in cirrhotic patients monitored for development of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 61–66, 1994.
- D. Pateron, N. Ganne, J. C. Trinchet et al., “Prospective study of screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in Caucasian patients with cirrhosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 1994.
- B. J. McMahon, L. Bulkow, A. Harpster et al., “Screening for hepatocellular carcinoma in Alaska natives infected with chronic hepatitis B: a 16-year population-based study,” Hepatology, vol. 32, no. 4 I, pp. 842–846, 2000.
- M. Soresi, C. Magliarisi, P. Campagna et al., “Usefulness of alpha-fetoprotein in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Anticancer Research, vol. 23, no. 2C, pp. 1747–1753, 2003.
- O. Nehls, M. Gregor, and B. Klump, “Serum and bile markers for cholangiocarcinoma,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 139–154, 2004.
- S. Maestranzi, R. Przemioslo, H. Mitchell, and R. A. Sherwood, “The effect of benign and malignant liver disease on the tumour markers CA19-9 and CEA,” Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 99–103, 1998.
- J. Bruix, M. Sherman, J. M. Llovet, et al., “Clinical management of hepatocellular carcinoma. Conclusions of the barcelona-2000 EASL conference. European Association for the Study of the Liver,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 421–430, 2001.
- G. Mantovani, C. Madeddu, A. Macciò et al., “Cancer-related anorexia/cachexia syndrome and oxidative stress: an innovative approach beyond current treatment,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1651–1659, 2004.
- G. Mantovani, A. Macciò, C. Madeddu et al., “Quantitative evaluation of oxidative stress, chronic inflammatory indices and leptin in cancer patients: correlation with stage and performance status,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 84–91, 2002.
- L. Lusini, S. A. Tripodi, R. Rossi et al., “Altered glutathione anti-oxidant metabolism during tumor progression in human renal-cell carcinoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 55–59, 2001.
- J. Navarro, E. Obrador, J. Carretero et al., “Changes in glutathione status and the antioxidant system in blood and in cancer cells associate with tumour growth in vivo,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 3-4, pp. 410–415, 1999.
- P. Jaruga, T. H. Zastawny, J. Skokowski, M. Dizdaroglu, and R. Olinski, “Oxidative DNA base damage and antioxidant enzyme activities in human lung cancer,” FEBS Letters, vol. 341, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 1994.
- T. Soga, R. Baran, M. Suematsu et al., “Differential metabolomics reveals ophthalmic acid as an oxidative stress biomarker indicating hepatic glutathione consumption,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 281, no. 24, pp. 16768–16776, 2006.
- R. S. Kombu, G. F. Zhang, R. Abbas et al., “Dynamics of glutathione and ophthalmate traced with H-enriched body water in rats and humans,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 297, no. 1, pp. E260–E269, 2009.
- R. E. Shope, “Hurst EW Infectious papillomatosis of rabbits with note on histopathology,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 58, pp. 607–624, 1933.
- J. H. Chen, Y. C. Lin, Y. S. Huang, T. J. Chen, W. Y. Lin, and K. W. Han, “Induction of VX2 carcinoma in rabbit liver: comparison of two inoculation methods,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 79–84, 2004.
- B. Liang, C.-S. Zheng, G.-S. Feng et al., “Correlation of hypoxia-inducible factor 1± with angiogenesis in liver tumors after transcatheter arterial embolization in an animal model,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 806–812, 2010.
- B. D. Weinberg, E. Blanco, S. F. Lempka, J. M. Anderson, A. A. Exner, and J. Gao, “Combined radiofrequency ablation and doxorubicin-eluting polymer implants for liver cancer treatment,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 205–213, 2007.
- M. Vali, J. A. Vossen, M. Buijs et al., “Targeting of VX2 rabbit liver tumor by selective delivery of 3-bromopyruvate: a biodistribution and survival study,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 327, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2008.
- J. Deng, S. Virmani, G. Y. Yang et al., “Intraprocedural diffusion-weighted PROPELLER MRI to guide percutaneous biopsy needle placement within rabbit VX2 liver tumors,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 366–373, 2009.
- P. Rous, J. Kidd, and W. E. Smith, “Experiment on the cause of rabbit carcinoma derived from virus-induced papillomas. II. Loss by the VX2 carcinoma of the power to immunize hosts against the papilloma virus,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 96, pp. 159–174, 1952.
- S. Toyokuni, K. Okamoto, J. Yodoi, and H. Hiai, “Persistent oxidative stress in cancer,” FEBS Letters, vol. 358, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 1995.
- J. A. Marrero and A. S. F. Lok, “Newer markers for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, pp. S113–S119, 2004.