- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 316013, 7 pages
Are Pyogenic Liver Abscesses Still a Surgical Concern? A Western Experience
1Hepatobiliary Surgery Department, CHU de Caen, 14000 Caen, France
2Medical Statistics, CHU de Caen, 14000 Caen, France
3Radiology Department, CHU de Caen, 14000 Caen, France
4Infectious Diseases, CHU de Caen, 14000 Caen, France
Received 12 September 2011; Revised 25 December 2011; Accepted 30 December 2011
Academic Editor: Olivier Farges
Copyright © 2012 Barbara Alkofer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. F. Chou, S. M. Sheen-Chen, Y. S. Chen, and M. C. Chen, “Single and multiple pyogenic liver abscesses: clinical course, etiology, and results of treatment,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 384–389, 1997.
- O. Farges, T. Leese, and H. Bismuth, “Pyogenic liver abscess: an improvement in prognosis,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 862–865, 1988.
- G. D. Branum, G. S. Tyson, M. A. Branum, and W. C. Meyers, “Hepatic abscess: changes in etiology, diagnosis, and management,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 212, no. 6, pp. 655–662, 1990.
- S. C. Stain, A. E. Yellin, A. J. Donovan, and H. W. Brien, “Pyogenic liver abscess: modern treatment,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 126, no. 8, pp. 991–996, 1991.
- H. J. Mischinger, H. Hauser, H. Rabl et al., “Pyogenic liver abscess: studies of therapy and analysis of risk factors,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 852–858, 1994.
- F. F. Chou, S. M. Sheen-Chen, Y. S. Chen, T. Y. Lee, and T. V. Berne, “The comparison of clinical course and results of treatment between gas- forming and non-gas-forming pyogenic liver abscess,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 401–406, 1995.
- C. J. Huang, H. A. Pitt, P. A. Lipsett et al., “Pyogenic hepatic abscess: changing trends over 42 years,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 223, no. 5, pp. 600–609, 1996.
- K. M. Chu, S. T. Fan, E. C. S. Lai, C. M. Lo, and J. Wong, “Pyogenic liver abscess an audit of experience over the past decade,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 148–152, 1996.
- T. S. Yeh, Y. Y. Jan, L. B. Jeng et al., “Pyogenic liver abscesses in patients with malignant disease: a report of 52 cases treated at a single institution,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 133, no. 3, pp. 242–245, 1998.
- K. T. Lee, S. R. Wong, and P. C. Sheen, “Pyogenic liver abscess: an audit of 10 years' experience and analysis of risk factors,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 459–465, 2001.
- J. A. Alvarez Pérez, J. J. González, R. F. Baldonedo et al., “Clinical course, treatment, and multivariate analysis of risk factors for pyogenic liver abscess,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 181, no. 2, pp. 177–186, 2001.
- Y. M. Tan, A. Y. F. Chung, P. K. H. Chow et al., “An appraisal of surgical and percutaneous drainage for pyogenic liver abscesses larger than 5 cm,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 241, no. 3, pp. 485–490, 2005.
- G. Ferraioli, A. Garlaschelli, D. Zanaboni et al., “Percutaneous and surgical treatment of pyogenic liver abscesses: observation over a 21-year period in 148 patients,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 690–696, 2008.
- S. C. Chen, Y. T. Lee, K. C. Lai et al., “Risk factors for developing metastatic infection from pyogenic liver abscesses,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 136, no. 7-8, pp. 119–126, 2006.
- K. H. Lok, K. F. Li, K. K. Li, and M. L. Szeto, “Pyogenic liver abscess: clinical profile, microbiological characteristics, and management in a Hong Kong hospital,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 483–490, 2008.
- C. B. Hsieh, C. Tzao, C. Y. Yu et al., “APACHE II score and primary liver cancer history had risk of hospital mortality in patients with pyogenic liver abscess,” Digestive and Liver Disease, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 498–502, 2006.
- J. J. Ruiz-Hernández, M. León-Mazorra, A. Conde-Martel, J. Marchena-Gómez, M. Hemmersbach-Miller, and P. Betancor-León, “Pyogenic liver abscesses: mortality-related factors,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 853–858, 2007.
- A. A. Bissada and J. Bateman, “Pyogenic liver abscess: a 7-year experience in a large community hospital,” Hepato-Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 317–320, 1991.
- C. H. Liu, D. A. Gervais, P. F. Hahn, R. S. Arellano, R. N. Uppot, and P. R. Mueller, “Percutaneous hepatic abscess drainage: do multiple abscesses or multiloculated abscesses preclude drainage or affect outcome?” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1059–1065, 2009.
- E. H. Ochsner, “Unilocular cyst of the liver,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 107, pp. 829–831, 1938.
- J. L. Cohen, F. M. Martin, R. L. Rossi, and D. J. Schoetz, “Liver abscess. The need for complete gastrointestinal evaluation,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 561–564, 1989.
- L. Chiche, S. Dargère, V. Le Pennec, C. Dufay, and B. Alkofer, “Pyogenic-liver abscess: diagnosis and management,” Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1077–1091, 2008.
- R. K. Seeto and D. C. Rockey, “Pyogenic liver abscess. Changes in etiology, management, and outcome,” Medicine, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 99–113, 1996.
- F. J. Miller, D. T. Ahola, P. A. Bretzman, and D. J. Fillmore, “Percutaneous management of hepatic abscess: a perspective by interventional radiologists,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 241–247, 1997.
- N. W. Pearce, R. Knight, H. Irving et al., “Non-operative management of pyogenic liver abscess,” HPB, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 2003.
- Seung Yon Baek, M. G. Lee, Kyoung Sik Cho, Seung Chul Lee, K. B. Sung, and Yong Ho Auh, “Therapeutic percutaneous aspiration of hepatic abscesses: effectiveness in 25 patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 799–802, 1993.
- A. Giorgio, G. De Stefano, A. Di Sarno, G. Liorre, and G. Ferraioli, “Percutaneous needle aspiration of multiple pyogenic abscesses of the liver: 13-Year single-center experience,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 187, no. 6, pp. 1585–1590, 2006.
- S. C. Chen, S. J. Tsai, Y. T. Lee et al., “Predictors of mortality in patients with pyogenic liver abscess,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 196–203, 2008.
- Y. F. A. Chung, “Pyogenic liver abscess—predicting failure to improve outcome,” Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 183–184, 2008.
- R. Rintoul, M. G. O'Riordain, I. F. Laurenson, J. L. Crosbie, P. L. Allan, and O. J. Garden, “Changing management of pyogenic liver abscess,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 1215–1218, 1996.
- M. S. Barakate, M. S. Stephen, R. C. Waugh et al., “Pyogenic liver abscess: a review of 10 years' experience in management,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 205–209, 1999.
- Y. F. A. Chung, Y. M. Tan, H. F. Lui et al., “Management of pyogenic liver abscesses—percutaneous or open drainage?” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 1158–1165, 2007.
- K. T. Lee, P. C. Sheen, J. S. Chen, and C. G. Ker, “Pyogenic liver abscess: multivariate analysis of risk factors,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 372–377, 1991.
- C. C. Yang, C. Y. Chen, X. Z. Lin, T. T. Chang, J. S. Shin, and C. Y. Lin, “Pyogenic liver abscess in Taiwan: emphasis on gas-forming liver abscess in diabetics,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 1911–1915, 1993.
- S. C. Chen, C. C. Huang, S. J. Tsai et al., “Severity of disease as main predictor for mortality in patients with pyogenic liver abscess,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 164–172, 2009.