- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 684172, 7 pages
Biliary Leak in Post-Liver-Transplant Patients: Is There Any Place for Metal Stent?
1Endoscopy Unit, Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, 05653120 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
3Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
4Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Received 7 October 2011; Accepted 29 February 2012
Academic Editor: Daniel Casanova
Copyright © 2012 Fernanda P. Martins et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. D. Williams and P. V. Draganov, “Endoscopic management of biliary strictures after liver transplantation,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 30, pp. 3725–3733, 2009.
- A. Amador, R. Charco, J. Marti et al., “One thousand liver transplants: the hospital clinic experience,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 3916–3918, 2005.
- R. Rerknimitr, S. Sherman, E. L. Fogel et al., “Biliary tract complications after orthotopic liver transplantation with choledochocholedochostomy anastomosis: endoscopic findings and results of therapy,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 224–231, 2002.
- J. H. Tabibian, E. H. Asham, L. Goldstein et al., “Endoscopic treatment with multiple stents for post-liver-transplantation nonanastomotic biliary strictures,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 1236–1243, 2009.
- J. N. Shah, N. A. Ahmad, K. Shetty et al., “Endoscopic management of biliary complications after adult living donor liver transplantation,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1291–1295, 2004.
- J. W. Ostroff, “Management of biliary complications in the liver transplant patient,” Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 264–272, 2010.
- M. Traina, I. Tarantino, L. Barresi et al., “Efficacy and safety of fully covered self-expandable metallic stents in biliary complications after liver transplantation: a preliminary study,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1493–1498, 2009.
- G. S. Sandha, M. J. Bourke, G. B. Haber, and P. P. Kortan, “Endoscopic therapy for bile leak based on a new classification: results in 207 patients,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 567–574, 2004.
- A. J. Kaffes, L. Hourigan, N. de Luca, K. Byth, S. J. Williams, and M. J. Bourke, “Impact of endoscopic intervention in 100 patients with suspected postcholecystectomy bile leak,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 269–275, 2005.
- M. E. Ryan, J. E. Geenen, G. A. Lehman et al., “Endoscopic intervention for biliary leaks after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a multicenter review,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 261–266, 1998.
- P. R. Pfau, M. L. Kochman, J. D. Lewis et al., “Endoscopic management of postoperative biliary complications in orthotopic liver transplantation,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2000.
- M. Kahaleh, B. Behm, B. W. Clarke et al., “Temporary placement of covered self-expandable metal stents in benign biliary strictures: a new paradigm? (with video),” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 446–454, 2008.
- M. Kahaleh, V. Sundaram, S. L. Condron et al., “Temporary placement of covered self-expandable metallic stents in patients with biliary leak: midterm evaluation of a pilot study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2007.
- A. Y. Wang, K. Ellen, C. L. Berg, T. M. Schmitt, and M. Kahaleh, “Fully covered self-expandable metallic stents in the management of complex biliary leaks: preliminary data—a case series 1,” Endoscopy, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 781–786, 2009.
- T. H. Baron and J. J. Poterucha, “Insertion and removal of covered expandable metal stents for closure of complex biliary leaks,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 381–386, 2006.
- M. Kahaleh, J. Tokar, T. Le, and P. Yeaton, “Removal of self-expandable metallic Wallstents,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 640–644, 2004.
- H. Ho, A. Mahajan, S. Gosain et al., “Management of complications associated with partially covered biliary metal stents,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 516–522, 2010.
- I. Tarantino, L. Barresi, I. Petridis, R. Volpes, M. Traina, and B. Gridelli, “Endoscopic treatment of biliary complications after liver transplantation,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 26, pp. 4185–4189, 2008.
- L. M. Marin-Gomez, S. Sobrino-Rodriguez, J. M. Alamo-Martinez et al., “Use of fully covered self-expandable stent in biliary complications after liver transplantation: a case series,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 2975–2977, 2010.
- F. Garcia-Pajares, G. Sanchez-Antolin, S. L. Pelayo, et al., “Covered metal stents for the treatment of biliary complications after orthotopic liver transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 2966–2969, 2010.
- H. Isayama, Y. Nakai, Y. Toyokawa et al., “Measurement of radial and axial forces of biliary self-expandable metallic stents,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2009.
- U. Chaput, O. Scatton, P. Bichard et al., “Temporary placement of partially covered self-expandable metal stents for anastomotic biliary strictures after liver transplantation: a prospective, multicenter study,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 1167–1174, 2010.