- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 617234, 11 pages
Correlates of Cervical Cancer Screening among Vietnamese American Women
1Department of Public Health, College of Health Professions, Temple University, 1301 Cecil B Moore Avenue, 913 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
2Center for Asian Health, College of Health Professions, Temple University, 1415 N. Broad Street, Suite 116, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
3Fox Chase Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention and Control Program, 333 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
4Biostatistics Program, Cancer Prevention Research Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, P.O. Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
5Asian Community Health Coalition, 1106 Buttonwood Street, Unit A, Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA
6Vietnamese Women Association of Eastern Region, 3 Coventry Circle East, Marlton, NJ 08053, USA
Received 23 April 2012; Revised 17 July 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Kimlin Ashing-Giwa
Copyright © 2012 Grace X. Ma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Pew Research Center, Pew Social & Demographic Trends, Pew Research Center, 2012.
- U.S. Census Bureau, “2010 American Community Survey,” 2010, http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_10_1YR_B02006&prodType=table.
- J. S. Barnes, Census 2000 Brief, DIANE Publishing, 2000.
- A. D. Schmidley, Profile of the Foreign-Born Population in the United States, 2000, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, 2001.
- B. A. Miller, K. C. Chu, B. F. Hankey, and L. A. G. Ries, “Cancer incidence and mortality patterns among specific Asian and Pacific Islander populations in the U.S.,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 227–256, 2008.
- M. Kagawa-Singer and N. Pourat, “Asian American and Pacific Islander breast and cervical carcinoma screening rates and healthy people 2000 objectives,” Cancer, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 696–705.
- S. L. Parker, T. Tong, S. Bolden, and P. A. Wingo, “Cancer statistics, 1997,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 5–27, 1997.
- M. McCracken, M. Olsen, M. S. Chen Jr. et al., “Cancer incidence, mortality, and associated risk factors among Asian Americans of Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean, and Japanese ethnicities,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 190–205, 2007.
- S. S. Coughlin and R. J. Uhler, “Breast and cervical cancer screening practices among Asian and Pacific Islander women in the United States, 1994–1997,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 597–603, 2000.
- G. X. Ma, S. E. Shive, M. Q. Wang, and Y. Tan, “Cancer screening behaviors and barriers in Asian Americans,” American Journal of Health Behavior, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 650–660, 2009.
- H. H. Do, V. M. Taylor, N. Burke, Y. Yasui, S. M. Schwartz, and J. C. Jackson, “Knowledge about cervical cancer risk factors, traditional health beliefs, and pap testing among vietnamese american women,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 109–114, 2007.
- B. J. Gor, J. A. Chilton, P. T. Camingue, and R. A. Hajek, “Young Asian Americans' knowledge and perceptions of cervical cancer and the human papillomavirus,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2011.
- G. X. Ma, J. I. Toubbeh, M. Q. Wang, S. E. Shive, L. Cooper, and A. Pham, “Factors associated with cervical cancer screening compliance and noncompliance among Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Cambodian women,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 541–551, 2009.
- N. A. Ponce, N. Chawla, S. H. Babey et al., “Is there a language divide in pap test use?” Medical Care, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 998–1004, 2006.
- H. S. Juon, C. Seung-Lee, and A. C. Klassen, “Predictors of regular pap smears among Korean-American women,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 585–592, 2003.
- V. M. Taylor, S. M. Schwartz, Y. Yasui et al., “Pap testing among vietnamese women: health care system and physician factors,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 437–450, 2004.
- K. Baicker, A. Chandra, and J. S. Skinner, “Geographic variation in health care and the problem of measuring racial disparities,” Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 1, supplement, pp. S42–S53, 2005.
- T. M. Becker, D. K. Espey, H. W. Lawson, M. Saraiya, M. A. Jim, and A. G. Waxman, “Regional differences in cervical cancer incidence among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999–2004,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 1234–1243, 2008.
- C. Y. Fang, G. X. Ma, Y. Tan, and N. Chi, “A multifaceted intervention to increase cervical cancer screening among underserved Korean women,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1298–1302, 2007.
- G. X. Ma, S. E. Shive, Y. Tan, and R. M. Feeley, “The impact of acculturation on smoking in Asian American homes,” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 267–280, 2004.
- G. X. Ma, Y. Tan, J. I. Toubbeh, X. Su, S. E. Shive, and Y. Lan, “Acculturation and smoking behavior in Asian-American populations,” Health Education Research, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 615–625, 2004.
- G. Ma, W. Gao, C. Fang, et al., “Health Belief Model and the impact on cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese Americans,” under review.
- J. Dang, J. Lee, J. H. Tran et al., “The role of medical interpretation on breast and cervical cancer screening among Asian American and Pacific Islander women,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 253–262, 2010.
- J. Mock, S. J. McPhee, T. Nguyen et al., “Effective lay health worker outreach and media-based education for promoting cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese American women,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 1693–1700, 2007.
- J. M. Moskowitz, G. Kazinets, J. M. Wong, and I. B. Tager, ““Health is strength”: a community health education program to improve breast and cervical cancer screening among Korean American Women in Alameda County, California,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 173–183, 2007.
- V. M. Taylor, Y. Yasui, T. T. Nguyen et al., “Pap smear receipt among Vietnamese immigrants: the importance of health care factors,” Ethnicity and Health, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 575–589, 2009.
- C. R. Gresenz, J. Rogowski, and J. J. Escarce, “Community demographics and access to health care among US hispanics,” Health Services Research, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1542–1562, 2009.
- S. J. McPhee, J. A. Bird, T. Davis, N. T. Ha, C. N. H. Jenkins, and B. Le, “Barriers to breast and cervical cancer screening among Vietnamese-American women,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 205–213, 1997.
- S. J. McPhee, S. Stewart, K. C. Brock, J. A. Bird, C. N. H. Jenkins, and G. Q. Pham, “Factors associated with breast and cervical cancer screening practices among Vietnamese American women,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 510–521, 1997.
- T. T. Nguyen, S. J. McPhee, T. Nguyen, T. Lam, and J. Mock, “Predictors of cervical pap smear screening awareness, intention, and receipt among Vietnamese-American women,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 207–214, 2002.
- I. K. Ho and K. T. Dinh, “Cervical cancer screening among Southeast Asian American women,” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 49–60, 2011.
- V. M. Taylor, T. T. Nguyen, J. C. Jackson, and S. J. McPhee, “Cervical cancer control research in Vietnamese American communities,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2924–2930, 2008.
- G. J. Yoo, M. N. Le, S. Vong, R. Lagman, and A. G. Lam, “Cervical cancer screening: attitudes and behaviors of young Asian American women,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 740–746, 2011.
- C. Y. Fang, G. X. Ma, and Y. Tan, “Overcoming barriers to cervical cancer screening among Asian American women,” North American Journal of Medicine and Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 77–83, 2011.
- V. Ho, J. M. Yamal, E. N. Atkinson, K. Basen-Engquist, G. Tortolero-Luna, and M. Follen, “Predictors of breast and cervical screening in Vietnamese women in Harris County, Houston, Texas,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 119–131, 2005.
- K. D. Beydag, “Knowledge and applications of the midwives and nurses at an educational hospital on the early diagnosis of cervix cancer,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 481–485, 2011.
- C. Xu, W. Zhang, M. Wu, and S. Zhang, “Knowledge of cervical cancer among 25-54-year-old women in Beijing,” Journal of Cancer Education, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 555–559, 2011.
- S. P. Tanjasiri, J. H. Tran, M. Kagawa-Singer et al., “Exploring access to cancer control services for Asian-American and Pacific Islander communities in Southern California,” Ethnicity and Disease, vol. 14, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S14–S19, 2004.
- J. K. Yi, “Acculturation and pap smear screening practices among college-aged Vietnamese women in the United States,” Cancer Nursing, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 335–341, 1998.
- T. U. N. Nguyen and M. Kagawa-Singer, “Overcoming barriers to cancer care through health navigation programs,” Seminars in Oncology Nursing, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 270–278, 2008.