- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 754658, 7 pages
Diversity in Drought Traits among Commercial Southeastern US Peanut Cultivars
Crop Science Department, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Received 13 August 2011; Accepted 12 September 2011
Academic Editor: David Clay
Copyright © 2011 Mura Jyostna Devi and Thomas R. Sinclair. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. R. Cowan, “Transport of water in the soil-plant-atmosphere system,” Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 2, pp. 221–239, 1965.
- F. Tardieu, J. Zhang, N. Katerji, O. Bethenod, S. Palmer, and W. J. Davies, “Xylem ABA controls the stomatal conductance of fieldgrown maized subjected to soil compaction or soil drying,” Plant, Cell and Environment, vol. 15, pp. 193–197, 1992.
- T. R. Sinclair and J. M. Bennett, “Water,” in Principles of Ecology in Plant Production, T. R. Sinclair and F. P. Gardner, Eds., pp. 103–120, CAB International, 1998.
- A. L. Fletcher, T. R. Sinclair, and L. H. Allen Jr., “Transpiration responses to vapor pressure deficit in well watered “slow-wilting” and commercial soybean,” Environmental and Experimental Botany, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2007.
- T. R. Sinclair, M. A. Zwieniecki, and N. M. Holbrook, “Low leaf hydraulic conductance associated with drought tolerance in soybean,” Physiologia Plantarum, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 446–451, 2008.
- W. Sadok and T. R. Sinclair, “Genetic variability of transpiration response to vapor pressure deficit among soybean cultivars,” Crop Science, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 955–960, 2009.
- M. Gholipoor, P. V. V. Prasad, R. N. Mutava, and T. R. Sinclair, “Genetic variability of transpiration response to vapor pressure deficit among sorghum genotypes,” Field Crops Research, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2010.
- J. Kholova, C. T. Hash, P. L. Kumar, R. S. Yadav, M. Koová, and V. Vadez, “Terminal drought-tolerant pearl millet [Pennisetum glaucum (L.) R. Br.] have high leaf ABA and limit transpiration at high vapour pressure deficit,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1431–1440, 2010.
- M. Jyostna Devi, T. R. Sinclair, and V. Vadez, “Genotypic variation in peanut for transpiration response to vapor pressure deficit,” Crop Science, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 191–196, 2010.
- J. T. Ritchie, “Soil water availability,” Plant and Soil, vol. 58, no. 1–3, pp. 327–338, 1981.
- T. R. Sinclair and M. M. Ludlow, “Influence of soil water supply on the plant water balance of four tropical grain legumes,” Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 329–341, 1986.
- J. D. Ray and T. R. Sinclair, “Stomatal closure of maize hybrids in response to drying soil,” Crop Science, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 803–807, 1997.
- J. D. Ray and T. R. Sinclair, “The effect of pot size on growth and transpiration of maize and soybean during water deficit stress,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 49, no. 325, pp. 1381–1386, 1998.
- R. Serraj, T. R. Sinclair, and L. C. Purcell, “Symbiotic N2 fixation response to drought,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 50, no. 331, pp. 143–155, 1999.
- P. Bhatnagar-Mathur, M. J. Devi, D. S. Reddy et al., “Stress-inducible expression of at DREB1A in transgenic peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) increases transpiration efficiency under water-limiting conditions,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 2071–2082, 2007.
- P. Bhatnagar-Mathur, V. Vadez, M. Jyostna Devi, M. Lavanya, G. Vani, and K. K. Sharma, “Genetic engineering of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) with the P5CSF129A gene for osmoregulation with implications on drought tolerance,” Molecular Breeding, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 591–606, 2009.
- W. S. Meyer and G. C. Green, “Plant indicators of wheat and soybean crop water stress,” Irrigation Science, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 167–176, 1981.
- T. Gollan, J. B. Passioura, and R. Munns, “Soil water status affects the stomatal conductance of fully turgid wheat and sunflower leaves,” Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 13, pp. 459–464, 1986.
- W. D. Rosenthal, G. F. Arkin, and W. R. Jordan, “Water deficit effects on transpiration and leaf growth,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 79, pp. 1019–1026, 1987.
- B. I. L. Kuppers, M. Kuppers, and E. D. Schulze, “Soil drying and its effect on leaf conductance and CO2 assimilation of Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp I. The response to climatic factors and to the rate of soil drying in young plants,” Oecologia, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 99–104, 1988.
- R. Weisz, J. Kaminski, and Z. Smilowitz, “Water deficit effects on potato leaf growth and transpiration: utilizing fraction extractable soil water for comparison with other crops,” American Potato Journal, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 829–840, 1994.
- V. O. Sadras and S. P. Milroy, “Soil-water thresholds for the responses of leaf expansion and gas exchange: a review,” Field Crops Research, vol. 47, no. 2-3, pp. 253–266, 1996.
- M. Jyostna Devi, T. R. Sinclair, V. Vadez, and L. Krishnamurthy, “Peanut genotypic variation in transpiration efficiency and decreased transpiration during progressive soil drying,” Field Crops Research, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 280–285, 2009.
- “Inoculation methods for field experimenters and farmers,” in Nitrogen Fixation in Legumes, J. Brockwell, Ed., pp. 211–221, 1982.
- T. Henzler and E. Steudle, “Reversible closing of water channels in Chara internodes provides evidence for a composite transport model of the plasma membrane,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 46, no. 283, pp. 199–209, 1995.
- M. Tazawa, E. Ohkuma, M. Shibasaka, and S. Nakashima, “Mercurial-sensitive water transport in barley roots,” Journal of Plant Research, vol. 110, no. 1100, pp. 435–442, 1997.
- W. H. Zhang and S. D. Tyerman, “Inhibition of water channels by HgCl2 in intact wheat root cells,” Plant Physiology, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 849–857, 1999.
- C. Maurel and M. J. Chrispeels, “Aquaporins. A molecular entry into plant water relations,” Plant Physiology, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 135–138, 2001.
- I. F. Ionenko, A. V. Anisimov, and N. R. Dautova, “Effect of temperature on water transport through aquaporins,” Biologia Plantarum, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 488–494, 2010.