- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 176108, 7 pages
Inheritance of Evolved Glyphosate Resistance in a North Carolina Palmer Amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) Biotype
1Department of Crop Science, North Carolina State University, Box 7620, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
2Department of Bioagricultural Sciences and Pest Management, Colorado State University, 1179 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
3School of Agriculture, Food & Wine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
4Department of Horticulture Science, North Carolina State University, Box 7609, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
5Crop and Soil Sciences, University of Georgia Southeast District, P.O. Box 8112, Statesboro, GA 30460, USA
Received 27 June 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editor: Kent Burkey
Copyright © 2012 Aman Chandi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Dill, C. A. CaJacob, and S. R. Padgette, “Glyphosate-resistant crops: adoption, use and future considerations,” Pest Management Science, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 326–331, 2008.
- S. O. Duke and S. B. Powles, “Glyphosate: a once-in-a-century herbicide,” Pest Management Science, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 319–325, 2008.
- A. D. Baylis, “Why glyphosate is a global herbicide: strengths, weaknesses and prospects,” Pest Management Science, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 299–308, 2000.
- S. B. Powles, “Evolved glyphosate-resistant weeds around the world: lessons to be learnt,” Pest Management Science, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 360–365, 2008.
- I. Heap, “The International Survey of Herbicide Resistant Weeds,” 2012, http://www.weedscience.org/.
- T. M. Webster, “Weed survey—Southern states: broadleaf crops subsection,” Proceedings Southern Weed Science Society, vol. 58, pp. 291–294, 2005.
- A. S. Culpepper, J. R. Whitaker, A. W. MacRae, and A. C. York, “Weed science: distribution of glyphosate-resistant palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) in Georgia and North Carolina during 2005 and 2006,” Journal of Cotton Science, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 306–310, 2008.
- A. S. Culpepper, T. L. Grey, W. K. Vencill et al., “Glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) confirmed in Georgia,” Weed Science, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 620–626, 2006.
- J. K. Norsworthy, G. M. Griffith, R. C. Scott, K. L. Smith, and L. R. Oliver, “Confirmation and control of glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) in Arkansas,” Weed Technology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2008.
- L. E. Steckel, C. L. Main, A. T. Ellis, and T. C. Mueller, “Palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) in Tennessee has low level glyphosate resistance,” Weed Technology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 119–123, 2008.
- A. J. Diggle and P. Neve, “The population dynamics and genetics of herbicide resistance—a modeling approach,” in Herbicide Resistance and World Grains, pp. 61–100, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2001.
- M. Jasieniuk, A. L. Brule-Babel, and I. N. Morrison, “Inheritance of trifluralin resistance in green foxtail (Setaria viridis),” Weed Science, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 123–127, 1994.
- J. Gressel and L. A. Segel, “Interrelating factors controlling the rate of appearance of resistance: the outlook for the future,” in Herbicide Resistance In Plants, pp. 325–347, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- B. D. Maxwell, M. L. Roush, and S. R. Radosevich, “Predicting the evolution and dynamics of herbicide resistance in weed populations,” Weed Technology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 2–13, 1990.
- M. L. Roush, S. R. Radosevich, and B. Maxwell, “Future outlook for herbicide-resistance research,” Weed Technology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 208–214, 1990.
- C. Preston and C. A. Mallory-Smith, “Biochemical mechanisms, inheritance, and molecular genetics of herbicide resistance in weeds,” in Herbicide Resistance and World Grains, pp. 23–60, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2001.
- M. Simarmata, S. Bughrara, and D. Penner, “Inheritance of glyphosate resistance in rigid ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) from California,” Weed Science, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 615–619, 2005.
- R. Busi, M. M. Vila-Aiub, and S. B. Powles, “Genetic control of a cytochrome P450 metabolism-based herbicide resistance mechanism in Lolium rigidum,” Heredity, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 817–824, 2011.
- J. Hirschberg and L. McIntosh, “Molecular basis of herbicide resistance in Amaranthus hybridus,” Science, vol. 222, no. 4630, pp. 1346–1349, 1983.
- P. Boutsalis and S. B. Powles, “Inheritance and mechanism of resistance to herbicides inhibiting acetolactate synthase in Sonchus oleraceus L,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 242–247, 1995.
- K. J. Betts, N. J. Ehlke, D. L. Wyse, J. W. Gronwald, and D. A. Somers, “Mechanism of inheritance of diclofop resistance in Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum),” Weed Science, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 184–189, 1992.
- C. A. Mallory-Smith, D. C. Thill, M. J. Dial, and R. S. Zemetra, “Inheritance of sulfonylurea herbicide resistance in Lactuca spp,” Weed Technology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 787–790, 1990.
- F. J. Tardif, C. Preston, J. A. M. Holtum, and S. B. Powles, “Resistance to acetyl-coenzyme a carboxylase-inhibiting herbicides endowed by a single major gene encoding a resistant target site in a biotype of Lolium rigidum,” Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 1996.
- B. G. Murray, I. N. Morrison, and A. L. Brule-Babel, “Inheritance of acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibitor resistance in wild oat (Avena fatua),” Weed Science, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 233–238, 1995.
- L. Zeng and W. V. Baird, “Genetic basis of dinitroaniline herbicide resistance in a highly resistant biotype of goosegrass (Eleusine indica),” Journal of Heredity, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 427–432, 1997.
- D. F. Lorraine-Colwill, S. B. Powles, T. R. Hawkes, and C. Preston, “Inheritance of evolved glyphosate resistance in Lolium rigidum (Gaud.),” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 545–550, 2001.
- A. M. Wakelin and C. Preston, “Inheritance of glyphosate resistance in several populations of rigid ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) from Australia,” Weed Science, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 212–219, 2006.
- I. A. Zelaya, M. D. K. Owen, and M. J. VanGessel, “Inheritance of evolved glyphosate resistance in Conyza canadensis (L.) Cronq,” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 58–70, 2004.
- C. H. Ng, W. Ratnam, S. Surif, and B. S. Ismail, “Inheritance of glyphosate resistance in goosegrass (Eleusine indica),” Weed Science, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 564–570, 2004.
- T. A. Gaines, Molecular genetics of glyphosate resistance in palmer amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri L.) [Ph.D. dissertation], Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, 2009.
- T. A. Gaines, W. Zhang, D. Wang et al., “Gene amplification confers glyphosate resistance in Amaranthus palmeri,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1029–1034, 2010.
- D. A. Giacomini, S. Ward, T. A. Gaines, and P. Westra, “Inheritance of EPSPS gene amplification in Palmer amaranth,” Proceedings Weed Science Society of America, 2011, Abstract no. 85.
- J. R. Whitaker, Distribution, biology, and management of glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth in North Carolina [Ph.D. dissertation], North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2009.
- B. E. Tabashnik, “Determining the mode of inheritance of pesticide resistance with backcross experiments,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 703–712, 1991.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2 -ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.