- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 348754, 7 pages
Nitrogen Fertilizer and Growth Regulator Impacts on Tuber Deformity, Rot, and Yield for Russet Potatoes
1Department of Crop and Soil Environmental Sciences, Eastern Shore Agricultural Research and Extension Center,
Virginia Tech, Painter, VA 23420, USA
2Department of Plant Pathology, Physiology and Weed Science, Eastern Shore Agricultural Research and Extension Center, Virginia Tech, Painter, VA 23420, USA
3Department of Horticulture, Eastern Shore Agricultural Research and Extension Center, Virginia Tech, Painter, VA 23420, USA
Received 8 January 2012; Revised 10 April 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editor: H. Allen Torbert
Copyright © 2012 Mark S. Reiter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- United States Department of Agriculture—National Agricultural Statistics Service, Quick Stats. U.S. & All States Data—Crops, USDA-NASS, Washington, DC, USA, 2012, http://www.nass.usda.gov/Quickstats/.
- G. Stanford and S. J. Smith, “Nitrogen mineralization potentials of soils,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 36, pp. 465–472, 1972.
- J. A. Van Veen, J. N. Ladd, J. K. Martin, and M. Amato, “Turnover of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus through the microbial biomass in soils incubated with 14-C-, 15N- and 32P-labelled bacterial cells,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 559–565, 1987.
- J. F. Power and J. W. Doran, “Nitrogen use in organic farming,” in Nitrogen in Crop Production, R. D. Hauck, Ed., chapter 40, pp. 585–598, American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1984.
- S. Jamaati-E-Somarin, A. Tobeh, K. Hashemimajd, M. Hassanzadeh, M. Saeidi, and R. Zabihi-E-Mahmoodabad, “Effects of nitrogen fertilizer and plant density on N-P-K uptake by potato tuber,” Indian Journal of Horticulture, vol. 67, pp. 329–333, 2010.
- C. M. Worthington, K. M. Portier, J. M. White et al., “Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) yield and internal heat necrosis incidence under controlled-release and soluble nitrogen sources and leaching irrigation events,” American Journal of Potato Research, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 403–417, 2007.
- M. S. Reiter, S. B. Phillips, J. G. Warren, and R. O. Maguire, Nitrogen Management for White Potato Production, Virginia Cooperative Extension and Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station, Blacksburg, Va, USA, 2009.
- J. E. Kraus, “Influence of certain factors on second growth on Russet Burbank potatoes,” American Potato Journal, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 134–142, 1945.
- H. P. Wilson, T. P. Kuhar, S. L. Rideout, et al., Commercial Vegetable Production Recommendations, Virginia Cooperative Extension and Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station, Blacksburg, Va, USA, 2011.
- S. Roberts, W. H. Weaver, and J. P. Phelps, “Effect of rate and time of fertilization on nitrogen and yield of Russet Burbank potatoes under center pivot irrigation,” American Potato Journal, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 77–86, 1982.
- D. T. Westermann and G. E. Kleinkopf, “Nitrogen requirements of potatoes,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 77, pp. 616–621, 1985.
- J. C. Ojala, J. C. Stark, and G. E. Kleinkopf, “Influence of irrigation and nitrogen management on potato yield and quality,” American Potato Journal, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 1990.
- D. R. Mackenzie, “Association of potato early blight, nitrogen fertilizer rate, and potato yield,” Plant Disease, vol. 65, pp. 575–577, 1981.
- E. Panique, K. A. Kelling, E. E. Schulte, D. E. Hero, W. R. Stevenson, and R. V. James, “Potassium rate and source effects on potato yield, quality, and disease interaction,” American Potato Journal, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 379–398, 1997.
- P. C. Marth and E. S. Schultz, “A new sprout inhibitor for potato tubers,” American Potato Journal, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 268–272, 1952.
- S. N. Rao and S. H. Wittwer, “Further investigations on the use of maleic hydrazide as a sprout inhibitor for potatoes,” American Potato Journal, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 51–59, 1955.
- R. Yada, R. Coffin, M. Keenan, M. Fitts, C. Dufault, and G. Tai, “The effect of maleic hydrazide (potassium salt) on potato yield, sugar content and chip color of kennebec and norchip cultivars,” American Journal of Potato Research, vol. 68, pp. 705–709, 1991.
- B. L. Rex, “Effect of two plant growth regulators on the yield and quality of russet burbank potatoes,” Potato Research, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 227–233, 1992.
- D. O. Caldiz, L. V. Fernández, and M. H. Inchausti, “Maleic hydrazide effects on tuber yield, sprouting characteristics, and french fry processing quality in various potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Cultivars grown under argentinian conditions,” American Journal of Potato Research, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 119–128, 2001.
- J. R. Davis and M. D. Groskopp, “Yield and quality of Russet Burbank potato as influenced by interactions of Rhizoctonia, maleic hydrazide, and PCNB,” American Potato Journal, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 227–237, 1981.
- United States Department of Agriculture—Natural Resources Conservation Servic, Bojac Series, USDA-NRCS, Washington, DC, USA, 2012, https://soilseries.sc.egov.usda.gov/OSD_Docs/B/BOJAC.html.
- J. M. Bremner, “Nitrogen—total,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Part 3—Chemical mMethods, J. M. Bigham, Ed., hapter 37, pp. 1085–1122, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1996.
- United States Department of Agriculture—Natural Resources Conservation Service, Map—Bulk Density, Bojac Series, United States Department of Agriculture—Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington, DC, USA, 2012, http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx.
- D. A. Lauer, “Russet burbank yield response to sprinkler-applied nitrogen-fertilizer,” American Potato Journal, vol. 63, pp. 61–69, 1986.