- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 387407, 7 pages
Changes in Protein, Nonnutritional Factors, and Antioxidant Capacity during Germination of L. campestris Seeds
1Departamento de Graduados e Investigación en Alimentos, Escuela Nacional de Ciencias Biológicas, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, Prol de Carpio y Plan de Ayala, 11340 México, DF, Mexico
2Biotecnología Alimentaria, Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Campus Querétaro, Avenida Epigmenio González 500, Fraccionamiento San Pablo, 76130 Santiago de Querétaro, QRO, Mexico
3Centro de Investigación en Biotecnología Aplicada, IPN, Carretera Estatal Tecuexcomac-Tepetitla Km 1.5, 90700 Tepetitla de Lardizábal, TLAX, Mexico
4Departamento de Tecnología de Alimentos, INIA, Apdo 8111, 28080 Madrid, Spain
Received 11 May 2012; Accepted 23 November 2012
Academic Editor: Antonio M. De Ron
Copyright © 2012 C. Jiménez Martínez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Ruiz and A. Sotelo, “Chemical composition, nutritive value, and toxicology evaluation of Mexican wild lupinst,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 5336–5339, 2001.
- A. Sujak, A. Kotlarz, and W. Strobel, “Compositional and nutritional evaluation of several lupin seeds,” Food Chemistry, vol. 98, no. 4, pp. 711–719, 2006.
- C. De la Cuadra, M. Muzquiz, C. Burbano et al., “Alkaloid, alpha-galactoside and phytic acid changes in germinating lupin seeds,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 357–364, 1994.
- M. A. Ruiz-López, P. M. García-López, H. Castañeda-Vazquez et al., “Chemical composition and antinutrient content of three lupinus species from jalisco, Mexico,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 193–199, 2000.
- D. Resta, G. Boschin, A. D'Agostina, and A. Arnoldi, “Evaluation of total quinolizidine alkaloids content in lupin flours, lupin-based ingredients, and foods,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 490–495, 2008.
- L. C. Trugo, L. A. Ramos, N. M. F. Trugo, and M. C. P. Souza, “Oligosaccharide composition and trypsin inhibitor activity of P. vulgaris and the effect of germination on the α-galactoside composition and fermentation in the human colon,” Food Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 1990.
- M. De Cortes Sánchez, P. Altares, M. M. Pedrosa et al., “Alkaloid variation during germination in different lupin species,” Food Chemistry, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 347–355, 2005.
- C. Jiménez-Martínez, H. Hernández-Sánchez, G. Alvárez-Manilla, N. Robledo-Quintos, J. Martínez-Herrera, and G. Dávila-Ortiz, “Effect of aqueous and alkaline thermal treatments on chemical composition and oligosaccharide, alkaloid and tannin contents of Lupinus campestris seeds,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 81, pp. 421–428, 2001.
- M. Muzquiz, M. Pedrosa, C. Cuadrado, G. Ayet, C. Burbano, and A. Brenes, “Variation of alkaloids, alkaloid esters, phytic acid, and phytase activity in germinated seed of Lupinus albus and L. luteus,” in Recent Advances of Research in Antinutritional Factors in Legume Seeds and Rapeseed, A. M. Jansman, G. Hill, J. Huisman, and A. van der Poel, Eds., vol. 93, pp. 387–339, Wageningen Pers, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1998.
- C. H. Riddoch, C. F. Mills, and G. G. Duthie, “An evaluation of germinating beans as a source of vitamin C in refugee foods,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 115–118, 1998.
- Y.-H. Kuo, P. Rozan, F. Lambein, J. Frias, and C. Vidal-Valverde, “Effects of different germination conditions on the contents of free protein and non-protein amino acids of commercial legumes,” Food Chemistry, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 537–545, 2004.
- K. E. Heim, A. R. Tagliaferro, and D. J. Bobilya, “Flavonoid antioxidants: chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships,” Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 572–584, 2002.
- R. Fernandez-Orozco, M. K. Piskula, H. Zielinski, H. Kozlowska, J. Frias, and C. Vidal-Valverde, “Germination as a process to improve the antioxidant capacity of Lupinus angustifolius L. var. Zapaton,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 223, no. 4, pp. 495–502, 2006.
- J. Frias, M. L. Miranda, R. Doblado, and C. Vidal-Valverde, “Effect of germination and fermentation on the antioxidant vitamin content and antioxidant capacity of Lupinus albus L. var. Multolupa,” Food Chemistry, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 211–220, 2005.
- H. Schagger and G. von Jagow, “Tricine-sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis for the separation of proteins in the range from 1 to 100 kDa,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 166, no. 2, pp. 368–379, 1987.
- M. Muzquiz, C. Rey, C. Cuadrado, and G. R. Fenwick, “Effect of germination on the oligosaccharide content of lupin species,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 607, no. 2, pp. 349–352, 1992.
- V. L. Singleton, R. Orthofer, and R. M. Lamuela-Raventós, “Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folin-ciocalteu reagent,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 299, pp. 152–178, 1998.
- Ž. Maleš and M. Medić-Šarić, “Optimization of TLC analysis of flavonoids and phenolic acids of Helleborus atrorubens Waldst. et Kit,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 353–359, 2001.
- L. R. Fukumoto and G. Mazza, “Assessing antioxidant and prooxidant activities of phenolic compounds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 3597–3604, 2000.
- S. Burda and W. Oleszek, “Antioxidant and antiradical activities of flavonoids,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 2774–2779, 2001.
- P. Gulewicz, C. Martínez-Villaluenga, J. Frias, D. Ciesiołka, K. Gulewicz, and C. Vidal-Valverde, “Effect of germination on the protein fraction composition of different lupin seeds,” Food Chemistry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 830–844, 2008.
- G. Urbano, P. Aranda, A. Vílchez et al., “Effects of germination on the composition and nutritive value of proteins in Pisum sativum, L,” Food Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 671–679, 2005.
- S. Jood, U. Mehta, R. Singh, and C. M. Bhat, “Effect of processing on flatus-producing factors in legumes,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 268–271, 1985.
- H. A. Oboh, M. Muzquiz, C. Burbano et al., “Effect of soaking, cooking and germination on the oligosaccharide content of selected Nigerian legume seeds,” Plant Foods for Human Nutrition, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2000.
- B. J. Xu and S. K. C. Chang, “A comparative study on phenolic profiles and antioxidant activities of legumes as affected by extraction solvents,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. S159–S166, 2007.
- E. Tsaliki, V. Lagouri, and G. Doxastakis, “Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of lupin seed flour and derivatives (Lupinus albus ssp. Graecus),” Food Chemistry, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 71–75, 1999.
- M. Muzquiz, C. Cuadrado, G. Ayet, L. Robredo, M. Pedrosa, and C. Burbano, “Changes in non-nutrient compounds during germination,” in Effeccts of Antinutritional Value of Legume Diets, S. Bardocz, E. Gelencsér, and A. Pusztai, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 124–129, Budapest, Hungary, 1996.
- R. A. Oloyo, “Chemical and nutritional quality changes in germinating seeds of Cajanus cajan L.,” Food Chemistry, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 497–502, 2004.
- P. Stratil, B. Klejdus, and V. Kubáň, “Determination of total content of phenolic compounds and their antioxidant activity in vegetables—evaluation of spectrophotometric methods,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 607–616, 2006.
- N. E. Rocha-Guzmán, A. Herzog, R. F. González-Laredo, F. J. Ibarra-Pérez, G. Zambrano-Galván, and J. A. Gallegos-Infante, “Antioxidant and antimutagenic activity of phenolic compounds in three different colour groups of common bean cultivars (Phaseolus vulgaris),” Food Chemistry, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 521–527, 2007.
- A. E. Hagerman, K. M. Riedl, G. A. Jones et al., “High molecular weight plant polyphenolics (Tannins) as biological antioxidants,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1887–1892, 1998.
- F. Yamaguchi, Y. Yoshimura, H. Nakazawa, and T. Ariga, “Free radical scavenging activity of grape seed extract and antioxidants by electron spin resonance spectrometry in an H2O2/NaOH/DMSO system,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 2544–2548, 1999.
- N. S. C. de Gaulejac, C. Provost, and N. Vivas, “Comparative study of polyphenol scavenging activities assessed by different methods,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 425–431, 1999.
- A. S. Meyer, M. Heinonen, and E. N. Frankel, “Antioxidant interactions of catechin, cyanidin, caffeic acid, quercetin, and ellagic acid on human LDL oxidation,” Food Chemistry, vol. 61, no. 1-2, pp. 71–75, 1998.