- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 434675, 8 pages
Genotype × Environment Interaction of Mosaic Disease, Root Yields and Total Carotene Concentration of Yellow-Fleshed Cassava in Nigeria
1International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Cassava Breeding Program, PMB, Oyo State, Ibadan 5320, Nigeria
2Sierra Leone Agricultural Research Institute, General Directorate, PMB, Freetown 1313, Sierra Leone
Received 3 February 2012; Revised 27 April 2012; Accepted 11 May 2012
Academic Editor: Robert J. Kremer
Copyright © 2012 Norbert G. Maroya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Global Prevalence of Vitamin A Deficiency, WHO/NUT/95.3, Geneva, Switzerland, 1995.
- World Health Organization, “Control of Vitamin A deficiency and xerophthalmia,” Tech. Rep. 672, Geneva, Switzerland, 1982.
- H. E. Cuevas, H. Song, J. E. Staub, and P. W. Simon, “Inheritance of beta-carotene-associated flesh color in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) fruit,” Euphytica, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 301–311, 2010.
- B. B. Maziya-Dixon, I. O. Akinyele, R. A. Sanusi, T. E. Oguntona, S. K. Nokoe, and E. W. Harris, “Vitamin A deficiency is prevalent in children less than 5 y of age in Nigeria,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 136, no. 8, pp. 2255–2261, 2006.
- F. Nweke, D. S. C. Spencer, and J. K. Lynam, The Cassava Transformation, Africa’s best kept secret, Michigan State University Press, East Lansing, Mich, USA, 2002, Shaffi B., Mahler K. A., Price W. J., Auld D. L.
- H. Ceballos, T. Sánchez, A. L. Chávez et al., “Variation in crude protein content in cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz) roots,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 19, no. 6-7, pp. 589–593, 2006.
- FAO, Cassava Production Outlook, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2011.
- S. A. Eberhart and W. A. Russel, “Stability parameters for comparing varieties,” Crop Science, vol. 6, pp. 36–40, 1966.
- M. S. Kang and R. Magari, “New developments in selecting for phenotypic stability in crop breeding,” in Genotype-by-Environment Interaction, M. S. Kang and H. G. Zobel Jr., Eds., pp. 51–84, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1996.
- D. B. Rodriguez-Amaya, “Nature and distribution of carotenoids in foods,” in Shelf-Life Studies of Foods and Beverages. Chemical, Biological, Physical and Nutritional Aspects, G. Charalambous, Ed., pp. 547–589, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- D. B. Rodriguez-Amaya and M. Kimura, A Guide to Carotenoid Analysis in Foods, OMRI Research, International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI), Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- S. R. A. Adewusi and J. H. Bradbury, “Carotenoids in cassava: comparison of open-column and HPLC methods of analysis,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 375–383, 1993.
- N. Nassar, C. S. Vizzotto, C. A. Schwartz, and O. R. Pires, “Cassava diversity in Brazil: the case of carotenoid-rich landraces,” Journal Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 116–121, 2007.
- N. I. Krinsky, “The biological properties of carotenoids,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 66, pp. 1003–1010, 1994.
- J. H. Bradbury and W. D. Holloway, Chemistry of Tropical Root Crops. Significance for Nutrition and Agriculture in the Pacific, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), Canberra, Australia, 1988.
- I. McDowell and K. A. Oduro, “Investigation of â-carotene content of yellow varieties of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz),” Journal of Plant Foods, vol. 5, pp. 169–171, 1983.
- A. L. Chávez, T. Sánchez, H. Ceballos et al., “Retention of carotenoids in cassava roots submitted to different processing methods,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 388–393, 2007.
- IITA, Cassava in Tropical Africa: A Reference Manual, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1990.
- D. B. Rodriguez-Amaya and M. Kimura, HarvestPlus Handbook for Carotenoid Analysis, vol. 2 of HarvestPlus Technical Monograph, 2004.
- H. G. Gauch and R. W. Zobel, “AMMI analysis of yield trials,” in Genotype by Environment Interaction, M. S. Kang and H. G. Gauch Jr., Eds., CRS Press, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- W. Yan and M. S. Kang, GGE Biplot Analysis: A Graphical Tool for Breeders, Geneticists, and Agronomists, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- W. Yan and N. A. Tinker, “Biplot analysis of multi-environment trial data: principles and applications,” Canadian Journal of Plant Science, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 623–645, 2006.
- W. Yan, L. A. Hunt, Q. Sheng, and Z. Szlavnics, “Cultivar evaluation and mega-environment investigation based on the GGE biplot,” Crop Science, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 597–605, 2000.
- S. Gorrettie and D. Alfred, “Genotype × environment interaction, stability and agronomic performance of carotenoid-rich cassava clones,” Scientific Research and Essays, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 390–399, 2007.
- R. E. C. Mba and A. G. O. Dixon, “Genotype × environment interaction, phenotypic stability of cassava yields and heritability estimates for production and pests resistance traits in Nigeria,” in Root Crops and Poverty Alleviation: Proceedings of the Sixth Triennial Symposium of the International Society for Tropical Root Crops—Africa Branch Held from 22 to 28 October 1995 in Lilongwe, Malawi, M. O. Akoroda and I. J. Ekanayake, Eds., pp. 255–261, 1998.
- C. N. Egesi, P. Ilona, F. O. Ogbe, M. Akoroda, and A. Dixon, “Genetic variation and genotype × environment interaction for yield and other agronomic traits in cassava in Nigeria,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 1137–1142, 2007.
- N. G. Maroya and A. G. O. Dixon, “Utilisation des paramètres de stabilité dans la sélection des clones de manioc pour le rendement en racine,” in Root Crops For Food Security in Africa: Proceedings of the 5th Symposium of ISTRC-AB Held in Kampala, Uganda 22–28 November 1992, M. O. Akoroda, Ed., pp. 111–115, 1994.
- IITA (International Institute of Tropical Agriculture), Annual Report of Root, Tuber and Plantain Improvement Program, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1987.
- N. G. Maroya, Genotype by environment interaction effect on beta carotene and some yield components of yellow root cassava (Manihot esculenta crantz) genotypes in Ghana [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ghana, Ghana, Legon, 2008.
- G. Ssemakula, A. G. O. Dixon, and B. Maziya-Dixon, “Stability of total carotenoid concentration and fresh yield of selected yellow-fleshed cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz),” Journal of Tropical Agriculture, vol. 45, no. 1-2, pp. 14–20, 2007.