- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 461894, 10 pages
Foliar Potassium Fertilizer Additives Affect Soybean Response and Weed Control with Glyphosate
1Division of Plant Science, Lee Greenley Jr. Memorial Research Center, University of Missouri, Novelty, MO 63460, USA
2Department of Soil, Environmental and Atmospheric Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
3Division of Plant Science, University of Missouri, Portageville, MO 63873, USA
4GBE Herbicide Field Testing Lead, Monsanto, Chesterfield, MO 63017, USA
5Division of Plant Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Received 12 August 2012; Accepted 25 September 2012
Academic Editor: Robert J. Kremer
Copyright © 2012 Kelly A. Nelson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Danekas, Missouri Farm Facts, Missouri Agriculture Statistics Service, 2004.
- L. P. Gianessi, “Economic and herbicide use impacts of glyphosate-resistant crops,” Pest Management Science, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 241–245, 2005.
- J. A. Ivany, “Control of quackgrass with glyphosate and additives,” Canadian Journal of Plant Science, vol. 68, pp. 1095–1101, 1988.
- J. D. Nalewaja and R. Matysiak, “Optimizing adjuvants to overcome glyphosate antagonistic salts,” Weed Technology, vol. 7, pp. 337–342, 1993.
- C. D. Salisbury, J. M. Chandler, and M. G. Merkle, “Ammonium sulfate enhancement of glyphosate and SC-0224 control of Johnsongrass (Sorghum halepense),” Weed Technology, vol. 5, pp. 18–21, 1991.
- J. D. Nalewaja and R. Matysiak, “Salt antagonism of glyphosate,” Weed Technology, vol. 39, pp. 622–628, 1991.
- E. J. Ehler, J. A. Koscelny, D. C. Heering, D. Wyse-Pester, and P. G. Ratliff, “Technical evaluation of a new potassium salt of glyphosate formulation,” Proceeding of North Central Weed Science Society, vol. 58, p. 185, 2003.
- V. H. Lengkeek and C. L. Foresman, “New Touchdown formulations from Syngenta Crop Protection,” Proceeding of North Central Weed Science Society, vol. 58, p. 186, 2003.
- T. C. Mueller, C. L. Main, M. A. Thompson, and L. E. Steckel, “Comparison of glyphosate salts (isopropylamine, diammonium, and potassium) and calcium and magnesium concentrations on the control of various weeds,” Weed Technology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 164–171, 2006.
- P. Fixen, “A national perspective on nutrient management guidelines and regulations,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on the Status and Basis for Mandating Nutrient Management Guidelines, ASA Annual Meetings, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, November 2000.
- H. F. Reetz and T. S. Murrell, Negligence of Potassium in Corn/Soybean Systems: Are You Guilty? News & Views, December Issue, Potash & Phosphate Institute, Norcoss, Ga, USA, 1998.
- P. E. Fixen, “Soil test levels in North America,” Better Crops With Plant Food, vol. 86, pp. 12–15, 2002.
- R. L. Garcia and J. J. Hanway, “Foliar fertilization of soybeans during the seed-filling period,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 68, pp. 653–657, 1976.
- M. U. Haq and A. P. Mallarino, “Foliar fertilization of soybean at early vegetative stages,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 90, pp. 763–769, 1998.
- M. U. Haq and A. P. Mallarino, “Soybean yield and nutrient composition as affected by early season foliar fertilization,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 92, pp. 16–24, 2000.
- A. P. Mallarino, M. U. Haq, D. Wittry, and M. Bermudez, “Variation in soybean response to early season foliar fertilization among and within fields,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 1220–1226, 2001.
- M. B. Parker and F. C. Boswell, “Foliage injury, nutrient intake, and yield of soybeans as influenced by foliar fertilization,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 72, pp. 110–113, 1980.
- B. L. Vasilas, J. O. Legg, and D. C. Wolf, “Foliar fertilization of soybeans: absorption and translocation of 15N-labeled urea,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 72, pp. 271–275, 1980.
- G. D. Binford, B. K. Hearn, M. A. Isaacs, D. J. Hansen, and R. W. Taylor, “Foliar fertilization of roundup ready soybeans,” Crop Management. In press.
- K. A. Nelson and P. P. Motavalli, “Foliar potassium fertilizer sources affect weed control in soybean with glyphosate,” Crop Management. In press.
- W. R. Fehr and C. E. Caviness, “Stage of development descriptions for soybeans, Glycine Max (L.) Merrill,” Crop Science, vol. 11, Article ID 001118, pp. 929–930, 1971.
- K. A. Nelson, P. P. Motavalli, and M. Nathan, “Response of no-till soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.] to timing of preplant and foliar potassium applications in a claypan soil,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 832–838, 2005.
- D. D. Buchholz, Soil Test Interpretations and Recommendations Handbook, Division of Plant Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo, USA, 2004.
- H. A. Mills and J. B. Jones, Plant Analysis Handbook II: a Practical Sampling, Preparation, Analysis, and Interpretation Guide, Micro-Macro, Athens, Ga, USA, 1996.
- J. C. Laverty, “A modified procedure for the determination of phosphorus soil extracts,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 27, pp. 360–361, 1963.
- D. R. Keeney and D. W. Nelson, “Nitrogen-inorganic forms: indophenol blue method,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2: Chemical and Microbiological Properties, A. Page, R. Miller, and D. Keeney, Eds., vol. 9 of Agronomy, pp. 674–676, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1982.
- SAS Institute, “SAS user's guide,” SAS Inst., Cary, NC, 2010.
- R. O. Kuehl, Statistical Principles of Research Design and Analysis, Duxbury Press, Belmont, Calif, USA, 1994.
- K. N. Reddy and R. M. Zablotowicz, “Glyphosate-resistant soybean response to various salts of glyphosate and glyphosate accumulation in soybean nodules,” Weed Science, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 496–502, 2003.
- B. G. Young, J. M. Young, J. L. Matthews et al., “Soybean development and yield as affected by three postemergence herbicides,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1152–1156, 2003.
- L. F. Rader Jr., L. M. White, and C. W. Whittaker, “The salt index—a measure of the effect of fertilizers on the concentration of the soil solution,” Soil Science, vol. 55, pp. 201–218, 1943.
- K. J. Boote, R. N. Gallaher, W. K. Robertson, K. Hinson, and L. C. Hammond, “Effect of foliar fertilization on photosynthesis, leaf nutrition, and yield of soybeans,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 70, pp. 787–791, 1978.
- W. D. Poole, G. W. Randall, and G. E. Ham, “Foliar fertilization of soybeans. I. Effect of fertilizer sources, rates, and frequency of application,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 75, pp. 195–200, 1983.
- G. K. Evanylo and G. W. Zender, “Common ragweed interference in snap beans at various soil potassium levels,” Applied Agricultural Research, vol. 4, pp. 101–105, 1989.
- S. W. Myers and C. Gratton, “Influence of potassium fertility on soybean aphid, Aphis glycines Matsumura (Hemiptera: Aphididae), population dynamics at a field and regional scale,” Environmental Entomology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 219–227, 2006.
- I. Cakmak, A. Yazici, Y. Tutus, and L. Ozturk, “Glyphosate reduced seed and leaf concentrations of calcium, manganese, magnesium, and iron in non-glyphosate resistant soybean,” European Journal of Agronomy, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 114–119, 2009.
- S. P. Conley, L. Abendroth, R. Elmore, E. P. Christmas, and M. Zarnstorff, “Soybean seed yield and composition response to stand reduction at vegetative and reproductive stages,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1666–1669, 2008.
- N. Bellaloui, R. M. Zablotowicz, K. N. Reddy, and C. A. Abel, “Nitrogen metabolism and seed composition as influenced by glyphosate application in glyphosate-resistant soybean,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 2765–2772, 2008.
- X. Yin and T. J. Vyn, “Critical leaf potassium concentrations for yield and seed quality of conservation-till soybean,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1626–1634, 2004.
- J. C. Rupe, J. D. Widick, W. E. Sabbe, R. T. Robbins, and C. B. Becton, “Effect of chloride and soybean cultivar on yield and the development of sudden death syndrome, soybean cyst nematode, and southern blight,” Plant Disease, vol. 84, no. 6, pp. 669–674, 2000.