- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 195012, 12 pages
Row Spacing, Landscape Position, and Maize Grain Yield
1Instituto de Investigaciones Fisiológicas y Ecológicas Vinculadas a la Agricultura (IFEVA), Avenue San Martín 4453, C1417DSE Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
2Cátedra de Cerealicultura, Departamento de Producción Vegetal, Facultad de Agronomía, Universidad de Buenos Aires,Avenue San Martín 4453, C1417DSE Buenos Aires, Argentina
3Dow AgroScience Argentina S.A., Ruta 8 km 264, Colón, 2720 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Received 25 June 2013; Accepted 8 October 2013; Published 14 January 2014
Academic Editor: Robert J. Kremer
Copyright © 2014 Gustavo Ángel Maddonni and Joaquín Martínez-Bercovich. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Soriano, “Río de la Plata grasslands,” in Ecosystems of the World. Natural Grasslands, R. T. Coupland, Ed., pp. 367–407, Elsevier Scientific, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1991.
- Soil Survey Staff, Keys to Soil Taxonomy, USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington, DC, USA, 11th edition, 2010.
- A. J. Hall, C. M. Rebella, and C. M. Ghersa, “Field-crop systems of the Pampas,” in Ecosystems of the World. Field Crops Ecosystems, C. J. Pearson, Ed., pp. 413–450, Elsevier Scientific, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1992.
- V. A. Barros, “Adaptation to climatic trends: lessons from the argentine experience,” in Climate Change and Adaptation, N. Leary, I. Burton, J. Adejuwon, V. Barros, R. Lasco, and J. I. Kulkarni, Eds., pp. 296–350, Earthscan, London, UK, 2008.
- F. Damiano and M. A. Taboada, “Prediction of available soil water using pedo-transfer functions in agricultural soils of the pampeana region,” Ciencia del Suelo, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 77–88, 2000.
- M. D. Nosetto, E. G. Jobbágy, R. B. Jackson, and G. A. Sznaider, “Reciprocal influence of crops and shallow ground water in sandy landscapes of the Inland Pampas,” Field Crops Research, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 138–148, 2009.
- D. L. Karlen and C. R. Camp, “Row spacing, plant population and water management effects on maize in the Atlantic Coast Plain,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 77, pp. 393–398, 1985.
- M. E. Westgate, F. Forcella, D. C. Reicosky, and J. Somsen, “Rapid canopy closure for maize production in the northern US corn belt: radiation-use efficiency and grain yield,” Field Crops Research, vol. 49, no. 2-3, pp. 249–258, 1997.
- P. A. Barbieri, H. R. Sainz Rozas, F. H. Andrade, and H. E. Echeverria, “Row spacing effects at different levels of nitrogen availability in maize,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 283–288, 2000.
- P. Barbieri, L. Echarte, A. Della Maggiora, V. O. Sadras, H. Echeverria, and F. H. Andrade, “Maize evapotranspiration and water-use efficiency in response to row spacing,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 939–944, 2012.
- C. A. Norwood, “Dryland corn in western kansas: effects of hybrid maturity, planting date, and plant population,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 540–547, 2001.
- A. M. Hashemi, S. J. Herbert, and D. H. Putnam, “Yield response of corn to crowding stress,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 839–846, 2005.
- M. Popp, J. Edwards, P. Manning, and L. C. Purcell, “Plant population density and maturity effects on profitability of short-season maize production in the Midsouthern USA,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 760–765, 2006.
- D. E. Farnham, “Row spacing, plant density, and hybrid effects on corn grain yield and moisture,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1049–1053, 2001.
- G. A. Maddonni, M. E. Otegui, and A. G. Cirilo, “Plant population density, row spacing and hybrid effects on maize canopy architecture and light attenuation,” Field Crops Research, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 183–193, 2001.
- F. H. Andrade, P. Calviño, A. Cirilo, and P. Barbieri, “Yield responses to narrow rows depend on increased radiation interception,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 975–980, 2002.
- J. Bolaños and G. O. Edmeades, “Eight cycles of selection for drought tolerance in lowland tropical maize. I. Responses in grain yield, biomass, and radiation utilization,” Field Crops Research, vol. 31, no. 3-4, pp. 233–252, 1993.
- M. E. Otegui, M. G. Nicolini, R. A. Ruiz, and P. A. Dodds, “Sowing date effects on grain yield components for different maize genotypes,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 1995.
- M. Tollenaar, L. M. Dwyer, and D. W. Stewart, “Ear and kernel formation in maize hybrids representing three decades of grain yield improvements in Ontario,” Crop Science, vol. 32, pp. 432–438, 1992.
- K. J. Boote and R. S. Loomis, “The prediction of canopy assimilation,” in Modeling Crop Photosynthesis from Biochemistry to Canopy, K. J. Boote and R. S. Loomis, Eds., Special publication 19, pp. 109–140, Crop Science Society, Madison, Wis, USA, 1991.
- G. A. Maddonni, A. G. Cirilo, and M. E. Otegui, “Row width and maize grain yield,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1532–1543, 2006.
- F. H. Andrade, S. A. Uhart, and M. I. Frugone, “Intercepted radiation at flowering and kernel number in maize: shade versus plant density effects,” Crop Science, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 482–485, 1993.
- A. N. Kravchenko and D. G. Bullock, “Correlation of corn and soybean grain yield with topography and soil properties,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 75–83, 2000.
- J. P. Schmidt, N. Hong, A. Dellinger, D. B. Beegle, and H. Lin, “Hillslope variability in corn response to nitrogen linked to in-season soil moisture redistribution,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 229–237, 2007.
- M. P. Bange, P. S. Carberry, J. Marshall, and S. P. Milroy, “Row configuration as a tool for managing rain-fed cotton systems: review and simulation analysis,” Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 65–77, 2005.
- C. O. Gwathmey, L. E. Steckel, and J. A. Larson, “Solid and skip-row spacings for irrigated and nonirrigated upland cotton,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 672–680, 2008.
- T. Liu, F. Song, S. Liu, and X. Zhu, “Canopy structure, light interception, and photosynthetic characteristics under different narrow-wide planting patterns in maize at silking stage,” Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1249–1261, 2011.
- B. S. Sharratt and D. A. McWilliams, “Microclimatic and rooting characteristics of narrow-row versus conventional-row corn,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1129–1135, 2005.
- J. L. Ping, R. B. Ferguson, and A. Dobermann, “Site-specific nitrogen and plant density management in irrigated maize,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 1193–1204, 2008.
- S. W. Ritchie, J. J. Hanway, and G. O. Benson, “How a corn plant develops,” Special Report 48, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA, 1993.
- F. Flénet, J. R. Kiniry, J. E. Board, M. E. Westgate, and D. C. Reicosky, “Row spacing effects on light extinction coefficients of corn, sorghum, soybean, and sunflower,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 185–190, 1996.
- T. M. Blackmer, J. S. Schepers, and G. E. Varvel, “Light reflectance compared with other nitrogen stress measurements in corn leaves,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 934–938, 1994.
- T. R. Sinclair and T. Horrie, “Leaf nitrogen, photosynthesis and crop radiation use efficiency: a review,” Crop Science, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 90–98, 1989.
- I. Rajcan, L. M. Dwyer, and M. Tollenaar, “Note on relationship between leaf soluble carbohydrate and chlorophyll concentrations in maize during leaf senescence,” Field Crops Research, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1999.
- E. C. Montgomery, “Correlations studies in corn,” in Nebraska Agricultural Experimentation Station Annual Report 24th, pp. 108–159, Nebraska Agricultural Experimentation Station, Lincoln, Ore, USA, 1911.
- W. Horwitz, A. Senzel, and H. Reynolds, Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Officinal Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA, 12th ed edition, 1975.
- J. Tblcurve, TableCurve 3.0 Curve Fitting Software, Jandel Scientific, Corte Madera, Calif, USA, 1992.
- A. J. Hall, H. D. Ginzo, J. H. Lemcoff, and A. Soriano, “Influence of drought during pollen-shedding on flowering, growth, and yield of maize,” Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 287–298, 1980.
- M. E. Otegui, F. H. Andrade, and E. E. Suero, “Growth, water use, and kernel abortion of maize subjected to drought at silking,” Field Crops Research, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 87–94, 1995.
- P. A. Calviño, F. H. Andrade, and V. O. Sadras, “Maize yield as affected by water availability, soil depth, and crop management,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 275–281, 2003.
- J. L. Dardanelli, O. A. Bachmeier, R. Sereno, and R. Gil, “Rooting depth and soil water extraction patterns of different crops in a silty loam haplustoll,” Field Crops Research, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 29–38, 1997.
- A. Y. Hanna, P. W. Harlan, and D. T. Lewis, “Soil available water as influenced by landscape position and aspect,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 999–1004, 1982.
- A. Y. Hanna, P. W. Harlan, and D. T. Lewis, “Effect of landscape position and aspect on soil water recharge,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 1983.
- J. E. Ayars, E. W. Christen, R. W. Soppe, and W. S. Meyer, “The resource potential of in-situ shallow ground water use in irrigated agriculture: a review,” Irrigation Science, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 147–160, 2006.
- M. Díaz-Zorita, G. A. Duarte, and J. H. Grove, “A review of no-till systems and soil management for sustainable crop production in the subhumid and semiarid Pampas of Argentina,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2002.
- J. Carcova, G. A. Maddonni, and C. M. Ghersa, “Long-term cropping effects on maize: crop evapotranspiration and grain yield,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 1256–1265, 2000.
- D. S. NeSmith and J. T. Ritchie, “Short- and long-term responses of corn to a pre-anthesis soil water deficit,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 107–113, 1992.
- R. C. Muchow, “Comparative productivity of maize, sorghum and pearl millet in a semi-arid tropical environment II. Effect of water deficits,” Field Crops Research, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 207–219, 1989.
- W. D. Rosenthal, G. F. Arkin, P. J. Shouse, and W. R. Jordan, “Water deficit effects on transpiration and leaf growth,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 1019–1026, 1987.
- S. C. Chapman and H. J. Barreto, “Using a chlorophyll meter to estimate specific leaf nitrogen of tropical maize during vegetative growth,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 557–562, 1997.
- D. W. Wolfe, D. W. Henderson, T. C. Hsiao, and A. Alviño, “Interactive water and nitrogen effects on senescence of maize. II. Photosynthetic decline and longevity of individual leaves,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 865–870, 1988.
- G. A. Maddonni, M. Chelle, J.-L. Drouet, and B. Andrieu, “Light interception of contrasting azimuth canopies under square and rectangular plant spatial distributions: simulations and crop measurements,” Field Crops Research, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2001.