- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 428569, 7 pages
Exchange Characteristics of Lead, Zinc, and Cadmium in Selected Tropical Soils
1Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria, P.M.B. 5054, Ibadan 234-02, Oyo State, Nigeria
2Federal College of Wildlife Management, P.M.B. 268, New Bussa 234-02, Niger State, Nigeria
3Federal College of Forestry, P.M.B. 5054, Ibadan 234-02, Oyo State, Nigeria
Received 31 July 2013; Revised 17 October 2013; Accepted 4 November 2013; Published 16 January 2014
Academic Editor: Silvia Imhoff
Copyright © 2014 Tope O. Bolanle-Ojo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. P. Tiwari, P. B. Ramudu, R. K. Srivastava, and M. K. Gupta, “Sorption and desorption studies of metallic zinc on an alluvial soil,” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 139–146, 2007.
- S. Dirican, S. Çilek, H. Çiftçi, M. Bıyıkoglu, S. Karaçınar, and A. Yokus, “Preliminary study on heavy metal concentrations of Anatolian Khramulya, Capoeta tinca (Heckel, 1843) from Çamlıgöze Dam Lake, Sivas, Turkey,” Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, vol. 11, article 7, 2013.
- D. Rais, B. Nowack, R. Schulin, and J. Luster, “Sorption of trace metals by standard and micro suction cups in the absence and presence of dissolved organic carbon,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 50–60, 2006.
- J. J. Stoorvogel and E. M. A. Smaling, “Assessment of soil nutrient depletion in sub-saharan Africa 1983–2000,” Report No. 28, Winand Staring Ctr., Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1990.
- S. Serrano, F. Garrido, C. G. Campbell, and M. T. García-González, “Competitive sorption of cadmium and lead in acid soils of Central Spain,” Geoderma, vol. 124, no. 1-2, pp. 91–104, 2005.
- D. L. Sparks, Environmental Soil Chemistry, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2003.
- Soil Survey Staff, Keys to Soil Taxonomy, United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, 10th edition, 2006.
- P. R. Day, “Particle fractionation and particle size analysis,” in Methods of Soil Analysis Part I, C. A. Black, D. D. Evans, J. L. White, L. E. Ensminger, and F. E. Clark, Eds., pp. 545–567, American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wis, USA, 1965.
- A. Walkley and I. A. Black, “An examination of the degtjareff method for soil organic matter and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method,” Soil Science, vol. 37, pp. 29–38, 1934.
- H. D. Chapman, “Cation exchange capacity,” in Methods of Soil Analysis: Chemical and Microbial Properties, C. A. Black, Ed., vol. 9 of Agronomy Series, pp. 891–901, American Society of Agronomy, 1965.
- C. A. Bower, R. F. Reitemeir, and M. Fireman, “Exchangeable cation analysis of saline and alkali soils,” Soil Science, vol. 73, pp. 251–261, 1952.
- J. J. Benton Jr., Laboratory Guide for Conducting Soil Tests and Plant Analysis, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- H. R. Sha'ato, Physico-chemical and thermodynamic studies of some soils of the lower Benue valley of Nigeria [Ph.D. thesis], University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, 1996.
- T. M. DeSutter, G. M. Pierzynski, and L. R. Baker, “Flow-through and batch methods for determining calcium-magnesium and magnesium-calcium selectivity,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 550–554, 2006.
- G. L. Gaines and H. C. Thomas, “Adsorption studies on clay minerals. II. A formulation of the thermodynamics of exchange adsorption,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 714–718, 1953.
- J. A. Marinsky, Ion Exchange. A Series of Advances, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1966.
- C. W. Davies, Ion Association, Butterworths, London, UK, 1962.
- B. I. Olu-Owolabi, K. O. Adebowale, and O. T. Oseni, “Physicochemical and thermodynamic adsorption studies of a ferric luvisol soil in Western Nigeria,” Soil and Sediment Contamination, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 119–131, 2010.
- A. A. Fagbami and E. A. A. Shogunle, “Nigeria: reference soil of the moist lowlands near Ife (Osun State),” Soil Brief Nigeria 3, University of Ibadan and International Soil Reference and Information Centre, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1995.
- C. A. Igwe, F. O. R. Akamigbo, and J. S. C. Mbagwu, “Chemical and mineralogical properties of soils in southeastern Nigeria in relation to aggregate stability,” Geoderma, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 111–123, 1999.
- F. Helferich, Ion Exchange Series in Advanced Chemistry, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- G. Sposito, The Thermodynamics of Soil Solutions, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1981.
- R. G. Gast, “Standard free energies of exchange for alkali metal cation on Wyoming Bentonite,” Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, vol. 33, pp. 37–41, 1969.
- C. W. Robbins and D. L. Carter, “Selectivity coefficients for calcium-magnesium-sodium-potassium exchange in eight soils,” Irrigation Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 95–102, 1983.
- J. Godfrin, P. Cloos, and R. van Bladel, “Sélectivité des échanges ioniques Ca–Cu et Ca–Zn dans quelques sols Belgique,” Pedologie, vol. 39, pp. 89–110, 1989.
- M. J. Angove, B. B. Johnson, and J. D. Wells, “The influence of temperature on the adsorption of cadmium(II) and cobalt(II) on kaolinite,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 93–103, 1998.
- A. S. Sidhu, N. S. Randhawa, and M. K. Sinha, “Adsorption and desorption of zinc in different soils,” Soil Science, vol. 124, pp. 211–218, 1977.
- E. I. Unuabonah, K. O. Adebowale, B. I. Olu-Owolabi, L. Z. Yang, and L. X. Kong, “Adsorption of Pb (II) and Cd (II) from aqueous solutions onto sodium tetraborate-modified Kaolinite clay: equilibrium and thermodynamic studies,” Hydrometallurgy, vol. 93, no. 1-2, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- A. S. Özcan and A. Özcan, “Adsorption of acid dyes from aqueous solutions onto acid-activated bentonite,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2004.
- E. Alvarez-Ayuso and A. Garcia-Sanchez, “Removal of heavy metals from waste waters by natural and Na-exchanged bentonites,” Clays and Clay Minerals, vol. 51, pp. 475–480, 2003.