- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 475953, 4 pages
Influence of Priming Duration on the Performance of Amaranths (Amaranthus cruentus L.) in Sokoto Semiarid Zone of Nigeria
1Department of Crop Science, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, P.M.B. 2346, Sokoto, Sokoto State, Nigeria
2School of Biosciences, Faculty of Science, The University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, CB 12 Red Building, Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 30 June 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013; Published 19 January 2014
Academic Editor: Bernd Lennartz
Copyright © 2014 Mukhtar Musa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Raemaekers, Crop Production in Ttropical Africa, DGIC Belgium, 2001.
- M. B. McDonald, “Seed deterioration: physiology, repair and assessment,” Seed Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 177–237, 1999.
- C. A. Parera and D. J. Cantliffe, “Pre-sowing seed priming,” Horticultural Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 109–141, 1994.
- A. S. Basra, S. Bedi, and C. P. Malik, “Accelerated germination of maize seeds under chilling stress by osmotic priming and associated changes in embryo phospholipids,” Annals of Botany, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 635–639, 1988.
- S. M. A. Basra, I. Afzal, R. A. Rashid, and A. Hameed, “Inducing salt tolerance in wheat by seed vigor enhancement techniques,” International Journal of Biology and Biotechnology, vol. 2, pp. 173–179, 2005.
- C. M. Bray, P. A. Davison, M. Ashraf, and R. M. Taylor, “Biochemical changes during osmopriming of leek seeds,” Annals of Botany, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 185–193, 1989.
- J. N. Berchie, H. Adu-Dapaah, J. Sarkodie-Addo et al., “Effect of seed priming on seedling emergence and establishment of four bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea L. Verdc.) landraces,” Journal of Agronomy, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 180–183, 2010.
- L. J. Clark, W. E. Whalley, J. Ellis-Jones, K. Dent, and H. R. Rowsea, “On farm seed priming in maize: a physiological evaluation,” in Proceeding of the 7th Eastern and South Africa Regional Maize Conference, pp. 268–273, February 2001.
- K. Mavi, S. Ermis, and I. Demir, “The effect of priming on tomato rootstock seeds in relation to seedling growth,” Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 940–947, 2006.
- A. Moosavi, R. Tavakkol Afshari, F. Sharif-Zadeh, and A. Aynehband, “Effect of seed priming on germination characteristics, polyphenoloxidase, and peroxidase activities of four amaranth cultivars,” Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 353–358, 2009.
- J. Cuartero, M. C. Bolarín, M. J. Asíns, and V. Moreno, “Increasing salt tolerance in the tomato,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1045–1058, 2006.
- A. G. Ojanuga, “Agro ecological zones of Nigerian MAPS,” National Special Programme on Food Security, FAO-UNESCO, 2004.
- C. Ascherman-Koch, P. Hofmann, and A. M. Steiner, “Pre-sowing treatment for improving quality in cereals,” Germination and Vigor, Seed Science Technology, vol. 20, pp. 435–440, 1992.
- A. Singh, R. Dahiru, and M. Musa, “Osmopriming duration influence on germination, emergence and seedling growth of sorghum,” Seed Technology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 2012.
- C. Bailly, A. Benamar, F. Corbineau, and D. Côme, “Antioxidant systems in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) seeds as affected by priming,” Seed Science Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 35–42, 2000.