- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 841238, 4 pages
Effect of Osmopriming Duration on Germination, Emergence, and Early Growth of Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.) in the Sudan Savanna of Nigeria
1School of Biosciences, Faculty of Science, The University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Crop Science, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, PMB 2346, Sokoto, Nigeria
Received 30 June 2013; Revised 31 December 2013; Accepted 14 January 2014; Published 27 February 2014
Academic Editor: Bernd Lennartz
Copyright © 2014 Ajit Singh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Vanderborght and J. P. Baudoin, “(Vigna unguiculata) (L) Walpers,” in Crop Production in Tropical Africa, H. R. Romain, Ed., pp. 334–348, DGIC Belgium, 2001.
- FAOSTAT Data, “Food and agricultural organizations statistics,” 2007, http://faostat3.fao.org/home/index.html.
- D. Harris, “On-farm seed priming to increase yield of crops and reduce risk of crop failure in marginal areas of developing countries,” in Proceedings of the 2nd international Agronomy Congress on Balancing Food and Environmental Security, A containing challenge [Extended Sumaries], pp. 1509–1511, New Delhi, India, 2002.
- D. Harris, “Staying in control of rainfed crops,” in Proceedings of the 1st Annual Scientific Conference of the SADCC/ODA Land and Water Management Programme, pp. 257–262, Gaborone, Botswana, 1992.
- D. Harris, “The effects of manure, genotype, seed priming, depth and date of sowing on the emergence and early growth sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench in semi-arid Botswana,” Soil and Tillage Research, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 73–88, 1996.
- C. A. Parera and D. J. Cantliffe, “Presowing seed priming,” Horticultural Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 109–114, 1999.
- S. H. Gurusinghe, Z. Cheng, and K. J. Bradford, “Cell cycle activity during seed priming is not essential for germination advancement in tomato,” Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 50, no. 330, pp. 101–106, 1999.
- M. O. Oluoch and G. E. Welbaum, “Effect of postharvest washing and post-storage priming on viability and vigour of six-year-old muskmelon (Cucumis melo L.) seeds from eight stages of development,” Seed Science and Technology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 195–209, 1996.
- K. J. Bradford, “Manipulation of seed water relations via osmotic priming to improve germination under stress condition,” Hort Science, vol. 21, pp. 1105–1112, 1986.
- A. G. Taylor and G. E. Herman, “Concepts and technologies of seed treatments,” Annual Review of Phytology, vol. 28, pp. 321–339, 1990.
- D. Harris, B. S. Raghuwanshi, J. S. Gangwar et al., “Participatory evaluation by farmers of on-farm seed priming in wheat in India, Nepal and Pakistan,” Experimental Agriculture, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 403–415, 2001.
- M. Farooq, S. M. A. Basra, N. Ahmed, and B. A. Saleem, “Osmopriming improves the germination and early seedling growth of melons (Cucumus melo L.),” Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, vol. 44, p. 3, 2007.
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System), “SAS Release 9.1 for Windows,” SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA, 2003.
- A. Singh, R. Dahiru, and M. Musa, “Osmopriming duration influence on germination, emergence and seedling growth of sorghum,” Seed Technology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 111–118, 2012.
- M. Ashraf and H. Rauf, “Inducing salt tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.) through seed priming with chloride salts: growth and ion transport at early growth stages,” Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 407–414, 2001.
- A. Singh, A. H. Abubakar, H. G. Ahmed et al., “Seed hydropriming effects on germination, emergence and growth of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp,” Trends in Advanced Science and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 37–42, 2011.