- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 894196, 13 pages
Determining Critical Soil pH for Sunflower Production
1Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
2Western Oklahoma State College, 2801 N. Main, Altus, OK 73521, USA
Received 7 April 2014; Accepted 2 June 2014; Published 6 July 2014
Academic Editor: Allen Barker
Copyright © 2014 Apurba Sutradhar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Edwards, F. Epplin, B. Hunger et al., “No-till wheat production in Oklahoma,” Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service Fact Sheet 2132, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla, USA, 2006.
- G. M. Torres, R. P. Lollato, and T. E. Ochsner, “Comparison of drought probability assessments based on atmospheric water deficit and soil water deficit,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 428–436, 2013.
- P. E. Fixen, “Soil test levels in North America: summary update,” Better Crops, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 16–18, 1998.
- H. Zhang and B. McCray, “Oklahoma agricultural soil test summary 2004–2008,” Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service Current Report 2259, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla, USA, 2008.
- R. L. Blevins, G. W. Thomas, and P. L. Cornelius, “Influence of no-tillage and nitrogen fertilization on certain soil properties after 5 years of continuous corn,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 383–386, 1977.
- H. L. Bohn, B. L. McNeal, and G. A. O'Connor, Soil Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- J. L. Schroder, H. Zhang, K. Girma, W. R. Raun, C. J. Penn, and M. E. Payton, “Soil acidification from long-term use of nitrogen fertilizers on winter wheat,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 957–964, 2011.
- J. F. Power and R. Prasad, Soil Fertility Management for Sustainable Agriculture, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 1997.
- D. F. Garvin and B. F. Carver, “Role of genotype in tolerance to acidity and aluminum toxicity,” in Handbook of Soil Acidity, Z. Rengel, Ed., pp. 387–406, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- “United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service,” July 2012, http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Oklahoma/Publications/County_Estimates/index.asp.
- E. Delhaize and P. R. Ryan, “Aluminum toxicity and tolerance in plants,” Plant Physiology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 315–321, 1995.
- C. Tang, Z. Rengel, E. Diatloff, and C. Gazey, “Responses of wheat and barley to liming on a sandy soil with subsoil acidity,” Field Crops Research, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 235–244, 2003.
- J. Lofton, C. B. Godsey, and H. Zhang, “Determining aluminum tolerance and critical soil pH for winter canola production for acidic soils in temperate regions,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 327–332, 2010.
- S. U. Wallace and I. C. Anderson, “Aluminum toxicity and DNA synthesis in wheat roots,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 1982.
- M. A. Pavan, F. T. Bingham, and P. F. Pratt, “Toxicity of aluminium to coffee in ultisols and oxisols amended with CaCO3, MgCO3, and CaSO4.2H2O,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1210–1207, 1982.
- H. Zhang and B. Raun, Oklahoma Soil Fertility Handbook, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla, USA, 6th edition, 2006.
- R. P. Lollato, J. T. Edwards, and H. Zhang, “Effect of alternative soil acidity amelioration strategies on soil pH distribution and wheat agronomic response,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1831–1841, 2013.
- S. Kaitibie, F. M. Epplin, E. G. Krenzer Jr., and H. Zhang, “Economics of lime and phosphorus application for dual-purpose winter wheat production in low-pH soils,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. 1139–1145, 2002.
- D. R. Berglund, Sunflower Production, North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station and North Dakota State University Extension Service Extension Publication A-1331 (EB-25 Revised), North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND, USA, 2007.
- S. K. Kariuki, H. Zhang, J. L. Schroder et al., “Hard red winter wheat cultivar responses to a pH and aluminum concentration gradient,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 88–98, 2007.
- J. T. Sims, “Lime requirement,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 3-Chemical Methods, D. L. Sparks, Ed., pp. 491–515, American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1st edition, 1996.
- F. J. Sikora, “A buffer that mimics the smp buffer for determining lime requirement of soil,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 474–486, 2006.
- A. Mehlich, “Mehlich 3 soil test extractant: a modification of Mehlich 2 extractant,” Communications in Soil Science & Plant Analysis, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1409–1416, 1984.
- P. N. Soltanpour, G. W. Johnson, S. M. Workman, J. B. Jones Jr., and R. O. Miller, “Inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry and inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 3-Chemical Methods, D. L. Sparks, A. L. Page, P. A. Helmke et al., Eds., pp. 91–139, American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1st edition, 1996.
- K. Butchee, D. B. Arnall, A. Sutradhar, C. Godsey, H. Zhang, and C. Penn, “Determining critical soil pH for grain sorghum production,” International Journal of Agronomy, vol. 2012, Article ID 130254, 6 pages, 2012.
- Y. Lan, H. Zhang, R. Lacey, W. C. Hoffmann, and W. Wu, “Development of an integrated sensor and instrumentation system for measuring crop conditions,” Agricultural Engineering International: The CIGR Journal, vol. 11, article IT 08 1115.
- P. M. Hansen and J. K. Schjoerring, “Reflectance measurement of canopy biomass and nitrogen status in wheat crops using normalized difference vegetation indices and partial least squares regression,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 542–553, 2003.
- M. E. Sumner and W. P. Miller, “Cation exchange capacity and exchange coefficients,” in Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 3-Chemical Methods, D. L. Sparks, A. L. Page, P. A. Helmke et al., Eds., pp. 1201–1253, American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, Wis, USA, 1st edition, 1996.
- F. Gray and M. H. Roozitalab, Benchmark and Key Soils of Oklahoma: A Modern Classification System, Oklahoma State University, Agricultural Experiment Station, Stillwater, Okla, USA, 1976.
- K. A. McVay, D. E. Radcliffe, and W. L. Hargrove, “Winter legumes effects on soil properties and nitrogen fertilizer requirements,” Soil Science Society of America Journal, vol. 53, pp. 1856–1862, 1989.
- P. A. Moore and D. R. Edwards, “Long-term effects of poultry litter, alum-treated litter, and ammonium nitrate on phosphorus availability in soils,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 163–174, 2007.
- J. G. Warren, S. B. Phillips, G. L. Mullins, D. Keahey, and C. J. Penn, “Environmental and production consequences of using alum-amended poultry litter as a nutrient source for corn,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 172–182, 2006.
- J. P. Johnson Jr., B. F. Carver, and V. C. Baligar, “Productivity in great plains acid soils of wheat genotypes selected for aluminium tolerance,” Plant and Soil, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 1997.
- B. Govaerts and N. Verhulst, The Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) Greenseeker (TM) Handheld Sensor: Toward the Integrated Evaluation of Crop Management. Part A: Concepts and Case Studies, CIMMYT, Mexico City, Mexico, 2010.