- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 341260, 8 pages
Low-Level Detection of Poly(amidoamine) PAMAM Dendrimers Using Immunoimaging Scanning Probe Microscopy
1Department of Chemistry, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41099, USA
2Department of Biological Sciences, Northern Kentucky University, Highland Heights, KY 41099, USA
Received 29 September 2011; Accepted 3 November 2011
Academic Editor: Charles L. Wilkins
Copyright © 2012 Chevelle A. Cason et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Dykes, “Dendrimers: a review of their appeal and applications,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 903–918, 2001.
- D. A. Tomalia, “Birth of a new macromolecular architecture: dendrimers as quantized building blocks for nanoscale synthetic polymer chemistry,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 30, no. 3-4, pp. 294–324, 2005.
- D. A. Tomalia, “The emergence of a new macromolecular architecture: the dendritic state,” in Physical Properties of Polymers Handbook, J. E. Mark, Ed., pp. 671–692, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- D. A. Tomalia, S. A. Henderson, and M. S. Diallo, “Dendrimers—an enabling synthetic science to controlled organic nanostructures,” in Handbook of Nanoscience, Engineering and Technology, W. A. I. Goddard, D. W. Brenner, S. E. Lyshevski, and G. J. Irafrate, Eds., pp. 24.1–24.47, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2007.
- D. Astruc, E. Boisselier, and C. Ornelas, “Dendrimers designed for functions: from physical, photophysical, and supramolecular properties to applications in sensing, catalysis, molecular electronics, photonics, and nanomedicine,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1857–1959, 2010.
- V. Gajbhiye, V. K. Palanirajan, R. K. Tekade, and N. K. Jain, “Dendrimers as therapeutic agents: a systematic review,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 989–1003, 2009.
- W. Wijagkanalan, S. Kawakami, and M. Hashida, “Designing dendrimers for drug delivery and imaging: pharmacokinetic considerations,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1500–1519, 2011.
- K. C. Petkar, S. S. Chavhan, S. Agatonovik-Kustrin, and K. K. Sawant, “Nanostructured materials in drug and gene delivery: a review of the state of the art,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 101–164, 2011.
- M. A. Mintzer and M. W. Grinstaff, “Biomedical applications of dendrimers: a tutorial,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 173–190, 2011.
- Y. Cheng, L. Zhao, Y. Li, and T. Xu, “Design of biocompatible dendrimers for cancer diagnosis and therapy: current status and future perspectives,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 2673–2703, 2011.
- E. Bustos, J. Manríquez, G. Orozco, and L. A. Godínez, “Preparation, characterization, and electrocatalytic activity of surface anchored, Prussian Blue containing starburst PAMAM dendrimers on gold electrodes,” Langmuir, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 3013–3021, 2005.
- N. Zhu, Y. Gu, Z. Chang, P. He, and Y. Fang, “PAMAM dendrimers-based DNA biosensors for electrochemical detection of DNA hybridization,” Electroanalysis, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 2107–2114, 2006.
- M. S. Diallo, S. Christie, P. Swaminathan, J. H. Johnson Jr., and W. A. Goddard III, “Dendrimer enhanced ultrafiltration—1. Recovery of Cu(II) from aqueous solutions using PAMAM dendrimers with ethylene diamine core and terminal NH 2 groups,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1366–1377, 2005.
- L. J. Twyman, A. S. H. King, and I. K. Martin, “Catalysis inside dendrimers,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 69–82, 2002.
- J. N. H. Reek, D. De Groot, G. E. Oosterom, P. C. J. Kamer, and P. W. N. M. Van Leeuwen, “Core and periphery functionalized dendrimers for transition metal catalysis; a covalent and a non-covalent approach,” Reviews in Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 90, no. 3-4, pp. 159–181, 2002.
- J. Satija, V. V. R. Sai, and S. Mukherji, “Dendrimers in biosensors: concept and applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 21, pp. 14367–14386, 2011.
- J. Losada, M. Zamora, P. García Armada, I. Cuadrado, B. Alonso, and C. M. Casado, “Bienzyme sensors based on novel polymethylferrocenyl dendrimers,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 385, no. 7, pp. 1209–1217, 2006.
- H. Cavaye, P. E. Shaw, A. R.G. Smith et al., “Solid state dendrimer sensors: effect of dendrimer dimensionality on detection and sequestration of 2,4-dinitrotoluene,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 115, no. 37, pp. 18366–18371, 2011.
- J. Giri, M. S. Diallo, W. A. Goddard, N. F. Dalleska, X. Fang, and Y. Tang, “Partitioning of poly(amidoamine) dendrimers between n-octanol and water,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 13, pp. 5123–5129, 2009.
- D. G. Mullen, E. L. Borgmeier, A. M. Desai et al., “Isolation and characterization of dendrimers with precise numbers of functional groups,” Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 35, pp. 10675–10678, 2010.
- S. Mutalik, A. K. Hewavitharana, P. N. Shaw, Y. G. Anissimov, M. S. Roberts, and H. S. Parekh, “Development and validation of a reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic method for quantification of peptide dendrimers in human skin permeation experiments,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 877, no. 29, pp. 3556–3562, 2009.
- S. Lalwani, V. J. Venditto, A. Chouai, G. E. Rivera, S. Shaunak, and E. E. Simanek, “Electrophoretic behavior of anionic triazine and pamam dendrimers: methods for improving resolution and assessing purity using capillary electrophoresis,” Macromolecules, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 3152–3161, 2009.
- M. T. Islam, I. J. Majoros, and J. R. Baker Jr., “HPLC analysis of PAMAM dendrimer based multifunctional devices,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 822, no. 1-2, pp. 21–26, 2005.
- M. T. Islam, X. Shi, L. Balogh, and J. R. Baker, “HPLC separation of different generations of poly(amidoamine) dendrimers modified with various terminal groups,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 2063–2070, 2005.
- X. Shi, I. Bányai, K. Rodriguez et al., “Electrophoretic mobility and molecular distribution studies of poly(amidoamine)dendrimers of defined charges,” Electrophoresis, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1758–1767, 2006.
- X. Shi, I. Bányai, M. T. Islam et al., “Generational, skeletal and substitutional diversities in generation one poly(amidoamine) dendrimers,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 3022–3034, 2005.
- X. Shi, X. Bi, T. R. Ganser et al., “HPLC analysis of functionalized poly(amidoamine) dendrimers and the interaction between a folate-dendrimer conjugate and folate binding protein,” Analyst, vol. 131, no. 7, pp. 842–848, 2006.
- N. Sato, H. Kobayashi, T. Saga et al., “Tumor targeting and imaging of intraperitoneal tumors by use of antisense oligo-DNA complexed with dendrimers and/or avidin in mice,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3606–3612, 2001.
- D. S. Wilbur, P. M. Pathare, D. K. Hamlin, K. R. Buhler, and R. L. Vessella, “Biotin reagents for antibody pretargeting. 3. Synthesis, radioiodination, and evaluation of biotinylated starburst dendrimers,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 813–825, 1998.
- H. C. Yoon, M. Y. Hong, and H. S. Kim, “Affinity biosensor for avidin using a double functionalized dendrimer monolayer on a gold electrode,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 282, no. 1, pp. 121–128, 2000.
- R. Spector and D. Mock, “Biotin transport through the blood-brain barrier,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 400–404, 1987.
- S. Beg, A. Samad, M. I. Alam, and I. Nazish, “Dendrimers as novel systems for delivery of neuropharmaceuticals to the brain,” CNS and Neurological Disorders, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 576–588, 2011.
- N. L. Rosi and C. A. Mirkin, “Nanostructures in biodiagnostics,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 1547–1562, 2005.
- B. Basnar and I. Willner, “Dip-pen-nanolithographic patterning of metallic, semiconductor, and metal oxide nanostructures on surfaces,” Small, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 28–44, 2009.
- A. N. Shipway, E. Katz, and I. Willner, “Nanoparticle arrays on surfaces for electronic, optical, and sensor applications,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 18–52, 2000.
- C. A. Cason, S. A. Oehrle, T. A. Fabre, et al., “Improved methodology for monitoring poly(amidoamine) dendrimers surface transformations and product quality by ultra performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2008, Article ID 456082, 7 pages, 2008.
- J. D. Driskell, K. M. Kwarta, R. J. Lipert, M. D. Porter, J. D. Neill, and J. F. Ridpath, “Low-level detection of viral pathogens by a surface-enhanced Raman scattering based immunoassay,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 19, pp. 6147–6154, 2005.
- J. D. Driskell, J. M. Uhlenkamp, R. J. Lipert, and M. D. Porter, “Surface-enhanced Raman scattering immunoassays using a rotated capture substrate,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 79, no. 11, pp. 4141–4148, 2007.
- R. L. Millen, J. Nordling, H. A. Bullen, M. D. Porter, M. Tondra, and M. C. Granger, “Giant magenetoresistive sensors. 2. Detection of biorecognition events at self-referencing and magnetically tagged arrays,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 80, no. 21, pp. 7940–7946, 2008.
- D. E. Q. Yang, Y. U. Q. Xiong, Y. Guo, D. A. Da, and W. G. Lu, “Sizes correction on AFM images of nanometer spherical particles,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 263–267, 2001.
- P. Markiewicz and M. C. Goh, “Simulation of atomic force microscope tip-sample/sample-tip reconstruction,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1115–1118, 1995.
- X. C. Wu, A. M. Bittner, and K. Kern, “Microcontact printing of CDS/dendrimer nanocomposite patterns on silicon wafers,” Advanced Materials, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 413–417, 2004.
- R. McKendry, W. T. S. Huck, B. Weeks, M. Fiorini, C. Abell, and T. Rayment, “Creating nanoscale patterns of dendrimers on silicon surfaces with dip-pen nanolithography,” Nano Letters, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 713–716, 2002.
- P. Bhatnagar, S. S. Mark, I. Kim et al., “Dendrimer-Scaffold-based electron-beam patterning of biomolecules,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 315–319, 2006.