- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 495043, 4 pages
Elemental Contents in Hair of Children from Two Regions in Dar Es Salaam
Department of Physics, University of Dar es Salaam, P.O. Box 35063, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Received 9 November 2011; Accepted 12 January 2012
Academic Editor: A. Denizli
Copyright © 2012 Najat K. Mohammed. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Iyengar and J. Woittiez, “Trace elements in human clinical specimens: evaluation of literature data to identify reference values,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 474–481, 1988.
- J. Dombovári and L. Papp, “Comparison of sample preparation methods of elemental analysis of human hair,” Microchemical Journal, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 1998.
- I. Rodushkin and M. D. Axelsson, “Application of double focusing sector field ICP-MS for multielemental characterization of human hair and nails. Part II. A study of the inhabitants of northern Sweden,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 262, no. 1-2, pp. 21–36, 2000.
- I. Othman and N. M. Spyrou, “The abundance of some elements in hair and nail from the Machakos district of Kenya,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 267–278, 1980.
- D. Airey, “Total mercury concentrations in human hair from 13 countries in relation to fish consumption and location,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 157–180, 1983.
- J. R. Ikingura, H. Akagi, J. Mujumba, and C. Messo, “Environmental assessment of mercury dispersion, transformation and bioavailability in the Lake Victoria Goldfields, Tanzania,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 167–173, 2006.
- F. M. Fordyce, Z. Guangdi, K. Green, and X. P. Liu, “Soil, grain and water chemistry in relation to human selenium-responsive diseases in Enshi District, China,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 117–132, 2000.
- K. M. Hambidge, P. A. Walravens, R. M. Brown et al., “Zinc nutrition of preschool children in the Denver Head Start program,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 734–738, 1976.
- C. W. Weber, G. W. Nelson, M. Vazquez De Vaquera, and P. B. Pearson, “Trace elements in the hair of healthy and malnourished children,” Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 230–234, 1990.
- C. K. Man, Y. H. Zheng, and P. K. Mak, “Hair analysis of spastic children in Hong Kong,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 291–295, 1996.
- N. Violante, O. Senofonte, G. Marsili, P. Meli, M. E. Soggiu, and S. Caroli, “Human hair as a marker of pollution by chemical elements emitted by a thermoelectric power plant,” Microchemical Journal, vol. 67, no. 1–3, pp. 397–405, 2000.
- M. Chiba, K. Sera, M. Hashizume et al., “Element concentrations in hair of children living in environmentally degraded districts of the East Aral Sea region,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, vol. 259, no. 1, pp. 149–152, 2004.
- N. K. Mohammed, J. Mizera, and N. M. Spyrou, “Elemental contents in hair of children from Zanzibar in Tanzania as bio-indicator of their nutritional status,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. 125–128, 2008.
- IAEA, Activation Analysis of Hair as an Indicator of Contamination of Man by Environmental Trace Element Pollutants. A cooperative Report on the Co-ordinated Research Programme: nuclear-based methods for Analysis of Pollutants in Human Hair. Report IAEA/RL/50, 1977.
- Z. Řanda, M. Vobecký, J. Kuncír, and J. Benada, “Multielement standards in routine reactor neutron activation analysis,” Journal of Radioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 95–107, 1978.
- N. Martínez-Navarrete, M. M. Camacho, J. Martínez-Lahuerta, J. Martínez-Monzó, and P. Fito, “Iron deficiency and iron fortified foods—a review,” Food Research International, vol. 35, no. 2-3, pp. 225–231, 2002.
- E. R. Morris, Trace Elements in Human and Animal Nutrition, Edt Mertz, London, UK, 5th edition, 1987.
- J. Erten, A. Arcasoy, A. O. Cavdar, and S. Cin, “Hair zinc levels in healthy and malnourished children,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1172–1174, 1978.