- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 918292, 7 pages
Determination of Total Selenium in Infant Formulas: Comparison of the Performance of FIA and MCFA Flow Systems
Department of Analytical Chemistry, School of Chemistry, Universidad de la República (UdelaR), Avenue Gral. Flores 2124, 11800 Montevideo, Uruguay
Received 30 September 2011; Revised 8 December 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Hian Kee Lee
Copyright © 2012 Mariela Pistón and Moisés Knochen. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Tiglea and E. Mello De Capitani, “Selenio,” in Metais, Geranciamento da Toxicidade, F. A. De Azeredo and A. A. Da Matta Chasin, Eds., pp. 239–262, Editora Atheneu, São Paulo, Brazil, 2003.
- F. Fordyce, “Selenium Deficiency and Toxicity in the Environment,” in Essentials of Medical Geology. Impacts of the Natural Environment on Public Health, O. Selinus, B. Alloway, J. A. Centeno, et al., Eds., pp. 373–415, Elsevier, Burlington, Mass, USA, 2005.
- M. S. Alaejos and C. D. Romero, “Selenium concentration in milks,” Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 1995.
- L. H. Foster and S. Sumar, “Methods of analysis used for the determination of selenium in milk and infant formulae: a review,” Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 453–466, 1995.
- Bulletin of the International Dairy Federation no 278/1992, Copper. Trace Elements in milk and milk products, pp. 16-20, IDF, Brussels, Belgium, 1992.
- “AOAC. Official methods of analysis. 974.15,” in Selenium in Human and Pet Food, M. Ihnat, Ed., pp. 28–29, AOAC International, Arlington, Va, USA, 1996.
- Z. Marczenko and M. Balcerzak, Separation, Preconcentration and Spectrophotometry in Inorganic Analysis, Analytical Spectroscopy Library, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2000.
- A. Paiva Oliveira, J. A. Gomes Neto, J. Araújo Nóbrega, P. R. Miranda Correia, and P. Vitoriano Oliveira, “Determination of selenium in nutritionally relevant foods by graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry using arsenic as internal standard,” Food Chemistry, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 355–360, 2005.
- C. Sola-Larrañaga and I. Navarro-Blasco, “Chemometric analysis of minerals and trace elements in raw cow milk from the community of Navarra, Spain,” Food Chemistry, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 189–196, 2009.
- J. Dědina, “Flow methods in gas-liquid separations,” in Flow Analysis with Atomic Spectrometric Detectors, A. Sanz-Medel, Ed., Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1999.
- W. R. Mindak and S. P. Dolan, “Determination of arsenic and selenium in food using a microwave digestion-dry ash preparation and flow injection hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 111–122, 1999.
- O. Muñiz-Naveiro, R. Domínguez-González, A. Bermejo-Barrera et al., “Selenium content and distribution in cow's milk supplemented with two dietary selenium sources,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 25, pp. 9817–9822, 2005.
- R. Danby and S. Shaw, GBC HG3000. Automatic Hydride Generator. Operation Manual, GBC Scientific Equipment Pty, Victoria, Australia, 1990.
- PerkinElmer, MHS 15 Mercury Hydride System. User's Guide, PerkinElmer, Conn, USA, 2000.
- PerkinElmer, “Recommended analytical conditions and general information for flow injection mercury/hydride analyses using the PerkinElmer FIAS-100/400,” Technical Data Sheets, PerkinElmer Inc. Copyright 1998–2009, http://www.perkinelmer.com/CMSResources/Images/44-74841TCH_FIASAnalyticalConditions.pdf.
- J. Ruzicka and E. Hansen, Flow Injection Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- M. Trojanowicz, Flow Injection Analysis: Instrumentation and Applications, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- Y. Zhang and S. B. Adeloju, “Flow injection-hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometric determination of selenium, arsenic and bismuth,” Talanta, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 724–730, 2008.
- D. Mazej, M. Horvat, F. Barbone, and V. Stibilj, “Simple and rapid method for determination of selenium in breast milk by HG-AFS,” Microchimica Acta, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 73–79, 2004.
- O. Muñiz-Naveiro, R. Domínguez-González, A. Bermejo-Barrera, P. Bermejo-Barrera, J. A. Cocho, and J. M. Fraga, “Study of the bioavailability of selenium in cows' milk after a supplementation of cow feed with different forms of selenium,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 385, no. 1, pp. 189–196, 2006.
- E. Ródenas-Torralba, P. Cava-Montesinos, A. Morales-Rubio, M. L. Cervera, and M. De La Guardia, “Multicommutation as an environmentally friendly analytical tool in the hydride generation atomic fluorescence determination of tellurium in milk,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 379, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2004.
- S. Moyano, J. A. Gásquez, E. Marchevsky, R. Olsina, and L. D. Martinez, “The determination of Se by flow injection hydride generation ICP-OES using anion exchange for on-line removal of copper,” Atomic Spectroscopy, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 152–155, 1997.
- N. Etxebarria, R. Antolín, G. Borge, T. Posada, and J. C. Raposo, “Optimisation of flow-injection-hydride generation inductively coupled plasma spectrometric determination of selenium in electrolytic manganese,” Talanta, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1209–1214, 2005.
- N. V. Semenova, L. O. Leal, R. Forteza, and V. Cerdà, “Multisyringe flow injection system for total inorganic selenium determination by hydride generation-atomic fluorescence spectrometry,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 486, no. 2, pp. 217–225, 2003.
- F. R. P. Rocha, B. F. Reis, E. A. G. Zagatto, J. L. F. C. Lima, R. A. S. Lapa, and J. L. M. Santos, “Multicommutation in flow analysis: concepts, applications and trends,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 468, no. 1, pp. 119–131, 2002.
- M. Catalá Icardo, J. V. García Mateo, and J. Martínez Calatayud, “Multicommutation as a powerful new analytical tool,” Trends in Analytical Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 366–378, 2002.
- M. A. Feres, P. R. Fortes, E. A. G. Zagatto, J. L. M. Santos, and J. L. F. C. Lima, “Multi-commutation in flow analysis: recent developments and applications,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 618, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2008.
- E. J. Llorent-Martínez, P. O. Barrales, M. Luisa Fernández-de Córdova, and A. Ruiz-Medina, “Multicommutation in flow systems: a useful tool for pharmaceutical and clinical analysis,” Current Pharmaceutical Analysis, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 2010.
- M. Pistón, J. Silva, R. Pérez-Zambra, and M. Knochen, “Determination of total selenium by multicommutated-flow hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry. Application to cow's milk and infant formulae,” Analytical Methods, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 139–143, 2009.
- F. D. Pierce and H. R. Brown, “Inorganic interference study of automated arsenic and selenium determination with atomic absorption spectrometry,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 693–695, 1976.
- R. M. Brown Jr., R. C. Fry, J. L. Moyers, S. J. Northway, M. B. Denton, and G. S. Wilson, “Interference by volatile nitrogen oxides and transition-metal catalysis in the preconcentration of arsenic and selenium as hydrides,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 1560–1566, 1981.
- L. H. Foster and S. Sumar, “Hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometric (HGAAS) determination of selenium in term and preterm infant formulae available in the United Kingdom,” Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 293–298, 1996.
- J. N. Miller and J. C. Miller, Estadística para Química Analítica, Addison-Wesley Iberoamerican S.A., Wilmington, Del, USA, 2nd edition, 1993.
- D. L. Massart, B. G. M. Vandeginste, L. M. C. Buydens, S. De Jong, P.J. Lewi, and J. Smeyers-Verbeke, Handbook of Chemometrics and Qualimetrics: Part A, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1997.