- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 981758, 12 pages
Spectrophotometric Determination of Iron(II) and Cobalt(II) by Direct, Derivative, and Simultaneous Methods Using 2-Hydroxy-1-Naphthaldehyde-p-Hydroxybenzoichydrazone
1Department of Chemistry, S.E.A. College of Engineering and Technology, Bangalore 560049, India
2Department of Chemistry, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur 515003, India
Received 5 September 2011; Revised 24 October 2011; Accepted 3 November 2011
Academic Editor: Ricardo Vessecchi
Copyright © 2012 V. S. Anusuya Devi and V. Krishna Reddy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Wildermuth, H. Stark, G. Friedrich, et al., “Iron compounds,” in Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, Wiley-VCH, 2000.
- F. C. Campbell, “Cobalt and cobalt alloys,” in Elements of Metallurgy and Engineering Alloys, pp. 557–558, ASM International, 2008.
- M. L. C. Adolfsson, A. K. Saloranta, and M. K. Silander, “Colourant composition for paint products,” US Patent, Patent number: 5985987, 1999.
- M. W. Hentze and L. C. Kühn, “Molecular control of vertebrate iron metabolism: mRNA-based regulatory circuits operated by iron, nitric oxide, and oxidative stress,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 16, pp. 8175–8182, 1996.
- R. Michel, M. Nolte, M. Reich, and F. Loer, “Systemic effects of implanted prostheses made of cobalt-chromium alloys,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 61–74, 1991.
- J. A. Disegi, R. L. Kennedy, and R. Pillia, Cobalt-Base Alloys for Biomedical Applications, ASTM International Standards, 1999.
- J. T. Ellis, I. Schulman, and C. H. Smith, “Generalized siderosis with fibrosis of liver AND pancreas in cooley's (Mediterranean) anemia with observations on the pathogenesis of the siderosis AND fibrosis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 287–309, 1954.
- Wu, Li-Xiang, Guo, and J. Cun, Metallurgical Analysis, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 66–68, 2004.
- L. Zaijun, F. You, L. Zhongyun, and T. Jian, “Spectrophotometric determination of iron(III)-dimethyldithiocarbamate (ferbam) using 9-(4-carboxyphenyl)-2,3,7-trihydroxyl-6-fluorone,” Talanta, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 647–651, 2004.
- Qi-Kai Zhang, Ling-Zhao Kong, and Li Wang, “Spectrophotometric determination of micro amount of iron in oils with thiocyanate-phenanthroline-OP,” Fenxi Shiyanshi (Analytical Laboratory), vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 77–79, 2005.
- P. K. Tarafder and R. Thakur, “Surfactant-mediated extraction of iron and its spectrophotometric determination in rocks, minerals, soils, stream sediments and water samples,” Microchemical Journal, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2005.
- F. G. Martins, J. F. Andrade, A. C. Pimenta, L. M. Lourenco, J. R. M. Casto, and V. R. Balbo, “Spectrophotometric study of iron oxidation in the iron(II)/thiocyanate/acetone system and some analytical applications,” Eclética Química, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 63–71, 2005.
- A. K. Sharma and I. Singh, “Spectrophotometric trace determination of iron in food, milk, and tea samples using a new bis-azo dye as analytical reagent,” Food Analytical Methods, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 221–225, 2009.
- L. I. Cheng-hong, G. E. Chang-hua, L. Hua-ding, and P. Fu-you, “Spectrophotometric determination of iron with 2-(5-carboxy-1,3,4-triazolylazo)-5-diethylamino aniline,” Science Technology and Engineering, vol. 21, pp. 5780–5782, 2008.
- Q. Z. Zhai, “Catalytic kinetic spectrophotometric determination of trace copper with copper(II)-p-acetylchlorophosphonazo-hydrogen peroxide system,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Ethiopia, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 327–335, 2009.
- A. K. Malik, K. N. Kaul, B. S. Lark, W. Faubel, and A. L. J. Rao, “Spectrophotometric determination of cobalt, nickel palladium, copper, ruthenium and molybdenum using sodium isoamylxanthate in presence of surfactants,” Turkish Journal of Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 99–105, 2001.
- B. R. Reddy, P. Radhika, J. R. Kumar, D. N. Priya, and K. Rajgopal, “Extractive spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) in synthetic and pharmaceutical samples using cyanex 923,” Analytical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 345–349, 2004.
- G. A. Shar and G. A. Soomro, “Spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II), nickel(II) and copper (II) with 1-(2 pyridylazo)-2-naphthol in micellar medium,” The Nucleus, vol. 41, pp. 77–82, 2004.
- N. Veerachalee, P. Taweema, and A. Songsasen, “Complexation and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) ion with 3-(2′-thiazolylazo)-2,6-diaminopyridine,” Kasetsart Journal—Natural Science, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 675–680, 2007.
- Y. Haoyi, Z. Guoxiu, and Y. Gaohua, “Determination of cobalt in terephthalic acid by picramazochrom spectrophotometry,” Chemical Analysis and Meterage, vol. 1, 2009.
- S. H. Guzar and Q. H. Jin, “Simple, selective, and sensitive spectrophotometric method for determination of trace amounts of nickel(II), copper (II), cobalt (II), and iron (III) with a novel reagent 2-pyridine carboxaldehyde isonicotinyl hydrazone,” Chemical Research in Chinese Universities, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 143–147, 2008.
- S. G. Prabhulkar and R. M. Patil, “2-Hydroxy-1-naphthalidine salicylohydrazone as an analytical reagent for extractive spectrophotometric determination of a biologically and industrially important metal Cobalt(II),” International Journal of Chemical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1480–1485, 2008.
- J. E. Huheey, E. A. Keiter, and R. L. Keiter, Inorganic Chemistry, Harper Collins, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 1993.
- T. Katami, T. Hayakawa, M. Furukawa, and S. Shibata, “Extraction—spectrophotometric determination of iron with 2-[2-(3,5-Dibromopyridyl)azo]-5-dimethylaminobenzoic acid,” The Analyst, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 159–162, 1984.
- A. Morales and M. I. Toral, “Extraction—spectrophotometric determination of iron as the ternary tris(1,10-phenanthroline)-iron(II)-picrate complex,” The Analyst, vol. 110, no. 12, pp. 1445–1449, 1985.
- M. R. P. Reddy, P. V. S. Kumar, J. P. Shyamsundar, and J. S. Anjaneyulu, “Extractive spectrophotometric method for the determination of iron in titanium base alloys using 4- (2-Pyridylazo) resorcinol and a long chain quaternary ammonium salt,” Journal of the Indian Chemical Society, vol. 66, pp. 437–439, 1989.
- A. K. Malik and A. L. J. Rao, “Spectrophotometric determination of iron(III) dimethyldithiocarbamate (ferbam),” Talanta, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 177–183, 1997.
- R. K. Patil and D. G. Dhuley, “Solvent extraction and spectrophotometric determination of Fe(II) with 1,3-diphenyl-4-carboethoxy pyrazole-5-one,” Indian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 1105–1106, 2000.
- B. M. Nagabhushana, G. T. Chandrappa, B. Nagappa, and N. H. Nagaraj, “Diformylhydrazine as analytical reagent for spectrophotometric determination of iron(II) and iron(III),” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 373, no. 4-5, pp. 299–303, 2002.
- L. M. Wang, C. Song, and J. Jin, “Spectrophotometric determination of iron by extraction of its ternary complex with 4,7-diphenyl-1,10-phenanthroline and tetraphenylborate into molten naphthalene,” Fenxi Shiyanshi (Analytical Laboratory), vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 48–50, 2004.
- F. G. Martins, J. F. Andrade, A. C. Pimenta, L. M. Lourenco, J. R. M. Casto, and V. R. Balbo, “Spectrophotometric study of iron oxidation in the iron(II) thiocyanateacetone system and some analytical application,” Electica Quimica, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 63–71, 2005.
- S. S. Patil and A. D. Sawant, “Pyridine-2-acetaldehyde salicyloylhydrazone as reagent for extractive and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) at trace level,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 88–91, 2001.
- S. Adinarayana Reddy, K. Janardhan Reddy, S. Lakshmi Narayana, Y. Sarala, and A. Varada Reddy, “Synthesis of new reagent 2,6-diacetylpyridine bis-4-phenyl-3- thiosemicarbazone (2,6-DAPBPTSC): Selective, sensitive and extractive spectrophotometric determination of Co(II) in vegetable, soil, pharmaceutical and alloy samples,” Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 326–334, 2008.
- Q. Qiufen, G. Yang, X. Dong, and J. Yin, “Study on the solid phase extraction and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt with 2-(2-quinolylazo)-5-diethylaminoaniline,” Turkish Journal of Chemistry, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 611–619, 2004.
- A. P. Kumar, P. R. Reddy, and V. K. Reddy, “Direct and derivative spectrophotometric determination of cobalt (II) in microgram quantities with 2-hydroxy-3-methoxy benzaldehyde thiosemicarbazone,” Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 2007.
- F. G. Martins, J. F. Andrade, A. C. Pimenta, L. M. Lourenço, J. R. M. Castro, and V. R. Balbo, “Spectrophotometric study of iron oxidation in the iron(II)/thiocyanate/ acetone system and some analytical applications,” Ecletica Quimica, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 63–71, 2005.