- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 305124, 11 pages
Determination of Tetracycline in Pharmaceutical Preparation by Molecular and Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry and High Performance Liquid Chromatography via Complex Formation with Au(III) and Hg(II) Ions in Solutions
1Department of Chemistry, College of Science, Baghdad University, Jaderiya, Baghdad, Iraq
2Department of Chemistry, College of Science, Al-Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad, Iraq
Received 7 March 2013; Accepted 19 May 2013
Academic Editor: Peter A. Tanner
Copyright © 2013 Ahlam Jameel Abdulghani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Janrao, R. P. Shimpi, and R. B. Fadat, “Potentiometric studies of ternary complexes of zinc with vitamins and medicinally important drugs,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 1965–1968, 2012.
- G. J. Palm, T. Lederer, P. Orth et al., “Specific binding of divalent metal ions to tetracycline and to the Tet repressor/tetracycline complex,” Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1097–1110, 2008.
- G. Karthikeyan, K. Mohanraj, K. P. Elango, and K. Girishkumar, “Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial activity of lanthanide-tetracycline complexes,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 86–90, 2004.
- P. Mishra, “Biocoordination and computational modeling of novel ligands with Bi (V),” International Journal of ChemTech Research, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 401–419, 2009.
- B. S. Sekhon, “Metalloantibiotics and antibiotic mimics—an overview,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 2010.
- J. A. Obaleye and A. Lawal, “A synthesis and antibacterial activity of some tetracycline metal complexes,” Centrepoint, vol. 14, no. 1-2, pp. 1–6, 2007.
- W. R. Chen and C. H. Huang, “Transformation of tetracyclines mediated by Mn(II) and Cu(II) ions in the presence of oxygen,” Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 43, pp. 401–407, 2009.
- Y. Zhao, J. Geng, X. Wang, X. Gu, and S. Gao, “Tetracycline adsorption on kaolinite: PH, metal cations and humic acid effects,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1141–1147, 2011.
- S. M. Sultan, I. Z. Alzamil, and N. A. Alarfaj, “Complexometric-spectrophotometric assay of tetracyclines in drug formulations,” Talanta, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 375–378, 1988.
- S. Schneider, M. O. Schmitt, G. Brehm, M. Reiher, P. Matousek, and M. Towrie, “Fluorescence kinetics of aqueous solutions of tetracycline and its complexes with Mg2+ and Ca2+,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1107–1117, 2003.
- C. Jiang and L. Luo, “Spectrofluorimetric determination of human serum albumin using a tetracycline-europium complex,” Analytical Letters, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 1129–1137, 2004.
- H. Li, J. Zhang, X. He, and J. Li, “Spectrofluorimetric determination of human serum albumin using a tetracycline-europium complex,” Chinese Journal of Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 177–183, 2004.
- S. Liawruangrath, B. Liawruangrath, S. Watanesk, and W. Ruengsitagoon, “Flow injection spectrophotometric determination of tetracycline in a pharmaceutical preparation by complexation with aluminium(III),” Analytical Sciences, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2006.
- A. El Said Mahgoub, E. M. Khairy, and A. Kasem, “Complex formation of uranyl acetate with tetracycline and its utilization for their microdetermination,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1451–1455, 1974.
- P. P. Silva, F. C. S. De Paula, W. Guerra et al., “Platinum(II) compounds of tetracyclines as potential anticancer agents: cytotoxicity, uptake and interactions with DNA,” Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1237–1246, 2010.
- B. L. Marcial, L. A. S. Costa, W. B. De Almeida, and H. F. Dos Santos, “Structure and properties of the new complexes of platinum (II) with the chemically modified tetracycline CMT-3: a theoretical DFT study,” Journal of Molecular Structure, vol. 916, no. 1–3, pp. 94–104, 2009.
- C. Gu and K. G. Karthikeyan, “Interaction of tetracycline with aluminum and iron hydrous oxides,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 2660–2667, 2005.
- R. M. Silverstein and F. X. Webster, Spectrometric Identification of Organic Compounds, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 1997.
- E. Solomon and A. Lever, Inorganic Electronic Structure and Spectroscopy, John Wiley and Sons, Toronto, Canada, 1999.
- B. Figgis, Introduction to Ligand Fields, Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- M. Sneed, J. Maynard, and R. Brasted, Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 2, D. Van Nostard Company, 1965.
- M. Sneed and R. Brasted, Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 4, D. Van Nostard Company, 1965.
- P. Pospisil, P. Ballmer, L. Scapozza, and G. Folkers, “Tautomerism in computer-aided drug design,” Journalof Receptors and Signal Transduction, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 361–371, 2003.
- J. Kang, H. Liu, Y.-M. Zheng, J. Qu, and J. P. Chen, “Application of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, UV-Visible spectroscopy and kinetic modeling for elucidation of adsorption chemistry in uptake of tetracycline by zeolite beta,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. 261–267, 2011.
- H. A. Duarte, S. Carvalho, E. B. Paniago, and A. M. Simas, “Importance of tautomers in the chemical behavior of tetracyclines,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 111–120, 1999.
- D. Harvey, Modern Analytical Chemistry, McGraw-Hill Higher Education a Division of the McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- G. H. Morrison, Solvent Extraction in Analytical Chemistry, Butter Worth, 1972.
- A. S. H. Al-Kadhumi, Atomic absorption, HPLC and spectrophotometric determination of some antibiotics in pharmaceutical preparations via complexes formation with Au(III) and Hg(II) ions [Ph.D. thesis], Department of Chemistry, College of Science, Baghdad University, Baghdad, Iraq, 2011.
- D. Skoog, D. West, F. Holler, and S. Cronch, Fundamentals of Analytical Chemistry, International Student Edition (ISE), 8th edition, 2004.
- M. S. El-Shahawi, A. S. Bashammakh, and S. O. Bahaffi, “Chemical speciation and recovery of gold(I, III) from wastewater and silver by liquid-liquid extraction with the ion-pair reagent amiloride mono hydrochloride and AAS determination,” Talanta, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1494–1499, 2007.