- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 312581, 5 pages
Monitoring of Heavy Metals Content in Soil Collected from City Centre and Industrial Areas of Misurata, Libya
1Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Misurata, P.O. Box 1338, Misurata, Libya
2Raman Spectroscopy Group, University Analytical Centre, Division of Chemical and Forensic Sciences, University of Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
Received 11 February 2013; Revised 19 April 2013; Accepted 8 May 2013
Academic Editor: Jan Åke Jönsson
Copyright © 2013 M. A. Elbagermi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. J. Dolan, H. Van Bohemen, P. Whelan et al., “Towards the sustainable development of modern road ecosystem,” in The Ecology of Transportation: Managing Mobility For the Environment, J. Davenport and J. L. Davenport, Eds., pp. 275–331, Springer, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- I. Suciu, C. Cosma, M. Todicǎ, S. D. Bolboacǎ, and L. Jäntschi, “Analysis of soil heavy metal pollution and pattern in central transylvania,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 434–453, 2008.
- E. I. B. Chopin and B. J. Alloway, “Distribution and mobility of trace elements in soils and vegetation around the mining and smelting areas of Tharsis, Ríotinto and Huelva, Iberian Pyrite Belt, SW Spain,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 182, no. 1–4, pp. 245–261, 2007.
- C. Stihi, A. Bancuta, I. V. Popescu et al., “Air pollution studies using PIXE and ICP methods,” Journal of Physics, vol. 41, no. 1, article 070, pp. 565–568, 2006.
- R. Garcia and E. Millán, “Assessment of Cd, Pb and Zn contamination in roadside soils and grasses from Gipuzkoa (Spain),” Chemosphere, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1615–1625, 1998.
- X. Li, C. S. Poon, and P. S. Liu, “Heavy metal contamination of urban soils and street dusts in Hong Kong,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 16, no. 11-12, pp. 1361–1368, 2001.
- N. Sezgin, H. K. Ozcan, G. Demir, S. Nemlioglu, and C. Bayat, “Determination of heavy metal concentrations in street dusts in Istanbul E-5 highway,” Environment International, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 979–985, 2004.
- B. Viard, F. Pihan, S. Promeyrat, and J. C. Pihan, “Integrated assessment of heavy metal (Pb, Zn, Cd) highway pollution: bioaccumulation in soil, graminaceae and land snails,” Chemosphere, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 1349–1359, 2004.
- G. Nabulo, H. Oryem-Origa, and M. Diamond, “Assessment of lead, cadmium, and zinc contamination of roadside soils, surface films, and vegetables in Kampala City, Uganda,” Environmental Research, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 42–52, 2006.
- S. R. Oliva and A. J. F. Espinosa, “Monitoring of heavy metals in topsoils, atmospheric particles and plant leaves to identify possible contamination sources,” Microchemical Journal, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 131–139, 2007.
- M. Kampa and E. Castanas, “Human health effects of air pollution,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 362–367, 2008.
- L. Guo-li, L. Da-xue, and L. Quan-ming, “Heavy metals contamination characteristics in soil of different mining activity zone Trans,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 207–211, 2008.
- A. Pantelica, V. Cercasov, E. Steinnes, P. Bode, and B. Wolterbeek, in Proceedings of the 4th National Conference of Applied Physics (NCAP '08), pp. 25–26, Galati, Romania, September 2008.
- W. de Vries, P. F. Römkens, and G. Schütze, “Critical soil concentrations of cadmium, lead, and mercury in view of health effects on humans and animals,” Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 191, pp. 91–130, 2007.
- V. Cojocaru, A. Pantelicǎ, E. Pincovschi, and I. I. Georgescu, “EDXRF versus INAA in a pollution control of soil,” Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2006.
- Bangalore Metropolitan Rapid Transport Limited, Environmental Impact Analysis, 2006.
- J. O. Nriagu, “Global inventory of natural and anthropogenic emissions of trace metals to the atmosphere,” Nature, vol. 279, no. 5712, pp. 409–411, 1979.
- F. Cabrera, L. Clemente, E. Díaz Barrientos, R. López, and J. M. Murillo, “Heavy metal pollution of soils affected by the Guadiamar toxic flood,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 242, no. 1–3, pp. 117–129, 1999.
- R. Wittig, General Aspects of Bio-Monitoring Heavy Metals by Plants, Plants as Bio-Monitors. Indicators for Heavy Metal in Terrestrial Environment, VCH Press, Weinheim, Germany, 1993.
- X. Chen, X. Xia, S. Wu, F. Wang, and X. Guo, “Mercury in urban soils with various types of land use in Beijing, China,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 48–54, 2010.
- B. J. Alloway, Heavy Metals in Soils, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1995.
- S. P. Mcgrath and P. J. Loveland, The Soil Geochemical Atlas of England and Wales, Blackie Academic & Professional, London, UK, 1992.
- ICRCL, Interdepartmental Committee on the Redevelopment of Contaminated Land. Guidance on the Assessment and Redevelopment of Contaminated Land. Guidance Note. 59/83, Department of Environment, London, UK, 1987.
- G. Muller, “Index of geo-accumulation in sediments of the Rhine River,” Geo Journal, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 108–118, 1969.
- Y. Ji, Y. Feng, J. Wu, T. Zhu, Z. Bai, and C. Dua, “Using geo-accumulation index to study source profiles of soil dust in China,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 571–578, 2008.
- CEPA, (Chinese Environmental Protection Administration, Elemental Background Values of Soils in China, Environmental Science Press of China, Beijing, China, 1990.
- CEPA, (Chinese Environmental Protection Administration, Environmental Quality Standard For Soils (GB15618-1995), Beijing, China, 1995.