- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 802573, 6 pages
Isolation and Partial Characterization of Bioactive Fucoxanthin from Himanthalia elongata Brown Seaweed: A TLC-Based Approach
School of Food Science and Environmental Health, College of Sciences and Health, Dublin Institute of Technology, Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin 1, Ireland
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 18 April 2013; Accepted 18 April 2013
Academic Editor: Hian Kee Lee
Copyright © 2013 Gaurav Rajauria and Nissreen Abu-Ghannam. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Rodríguez-Bernaldo de Quirós, F. S. Frecha, P. A. Vidal, and H. J. López, “Antioxidant compounds in edible brown seaweeds,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 231, no. 3, pp. 495–498, 2010.
- L. Jaime, J. A. Mendiola, M. Herrero et al., “Separation and characterization of antioxidants from Spirulina platensis microalga combining pressurized liquid extraction, TLC, and HPLC-DAD,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 28, no. 16, pp. 2111–2119, 2005.
- A. Rodríguez-Bernaldo de Quirós and H. S. Costa, “Analysis of carotenoids in vegetable and plasma samples: a review,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 97–111, 2006.
- M. Plaza, S. Santoyo, L. Jaime et al., “Screening for bioactive compounds from algae,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 450–455, 2010.
- B. Schoefs, “Chlorophyll and carotenoid analysis in food products. Properties of the pigments and methods of analysis,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 361–371, 2002.
- S. Liaaen-Jensen, “Carotenoids in chemosystematics,” in Carotenoids, Biosynthesis and Metabolism, G. Britton, S. Liaaen-Jensen, and H. Pfander, Eds., vol. 3, pp. 217–247, Birkhäuser, Basel, Switzerland, 1998.
- N. D. ’Orazio, E. Gemello, M. A. Gammone, M. de Girolamo, C. Ficoneri, and G. Riccioni, “Fucoxantin: a treasure from the sea,” Marine Drugs, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 604–616, 2012.
- S. J. Heo and Y. J. Jeon, “Protective effect of fucoxanthin isolated from Sargassum siliquastrum on UV-B induced cell damage,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 101–107, 2009.
- H. Maeda, M. Hosokawa, T. Sashima, K. Funayama, and K. Miyashita, “Fucoxanthin from edible seaweed, Undaria pinnatifida, shows antiobesity effect through UCP1 expression in white adipose tissues,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 332, no. 2, pp. 392–397, 2005.
- X. Yan, Y. Chuda, M. Suzuki, and T. Nagata, “Fucoxanthin as the major antioxidant in Hijikia fusiformis, a common edible seaweed,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 605–607, 1999.
- G. Rajauria, A. K. Jaiswal, N. Abu-Gannam, and S. Gupta, “Antimicrobial, antioxidant and free radical-scavenging capacity of brown seaweed Himanthalia elongata from western coast of Ireland,” Journal of Food Biochemistry, 2012.
- L. Gu, T. Wu, and Z. Wang, “TLC bioautography-guided isolation of antioxidants from fruit of Perilla frutescens var. acuta,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 131–136, 2009.
- K. A. Reid, A. K. Jäger, M. E. Light, D. A. Mulholland, and J. Van Staden, “Phytochemical and pharmacological screening of Sterculiaceae species and isolation of antibacterial compounds,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 285–291, 2005.
- A. R. Shahverdi, F. Abdolpour, H. R. Monsef-Esfahani, and H. Farsam, “A TLC bioautographic assay for the detection of nitrofurantoin resistance reversal compound,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 850, no. 1-2, pp. 528–530, 2007.
- T. Nomura, M. Kikuchi, A. Kubodera, and Y. Kawakami, “Proton-donative antioxidant activity of fucoxanthin with 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH),” Biochemistry and Molecular Biology International, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 361–370, 1997.
- S. Bhagavathy, P. Sumathi, and I. Jancy Sherene Bell, “Green algae Chlorococcum humicola-a new source of bioactive compounds with antimicrobial activity,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. S1–S7, 2011.
- N. Shimidzu, M. Goto, and W. Miki, “Carotenoids as singlet oxygen quenchers in marine organisms,” Fisheries Science, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 134–137, 1996.
- T. Sugawara, V. Baskaran, W. Tsuzuki, and A. Nagao, “Brown algae fucoxanthin is hydrolyzed to fucoxanthinol during absorption by Caco-2 human intestinal cells and mice,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 946–951, 2002.
- J. A. Haugan, G. Englert, E. Glinz, and S. Liaaen-Jensen, “Algal carotenoids. 48. structural assignments of geometrical isomers of fucoxanthin,” Acta Chemica Scandanavia, vol. 46, pp. 389–395, 1992.
- J. A. Haugan, T. Aakermann, and S. Liaaen-Jensen, “Isolation of fucoxanthin and peridinin,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 213, pp. 231–245, 1992.