- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 406852, 6 pages
Trends in Prevalence and Mortality of Dementia in Elderly Hong Kong Population: Projections, Disease Burden, and Implications for Long-Term Care
1Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
2Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
3School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Received 15 February 2012; Accepted 3 September 2012
Academic Editor: Manjari Tripathi
Copyright © 2012 Ruby Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Sabat, “Dementia in developing countries: a tidal wave on the horizon,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9704, pp. 1805–1806, 2009.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Hong Kong statistics—population by age group and sex,” 2009, http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/showtableexcel2.jsp?tableID=002.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Hong Kong population projections 2010–2039,” 2010, http://www.statistics.gov.hk/publication/stat_report/population/B1120015042010XXXXB0100.pdf.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Population estimates,” 2012, http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp150.jsp?subjectID=15&tableID=004&ID=0&productType=8.
- J. M. Robine, J. P. Michel, and F. R. Herrmann, “Who will care for the oldest people in our ageing society?” British Medical Journal, vol. 334, no. 7593, pp. 570–571, 2007.
- H. F. K. Chiu, L. C. W. Lam, I. Chi et al., “Prevalence of dementia in Chinese elderly in Hong Kong,” Neurology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1002–1009, 1998.
- “Elderly Commission: Prevalence of dementia in Hong Kong,” 2006, http://www.elderlycommission.gov.hk/en/meeting/47.html?
- L. C. W. Lam, C. W. C. Tam, V. W. C. Lui et al., “Prevalence of very mild and mild dementia in community-dwelling older Chinese people in Hong Kong,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 135–148, 2008.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Special topics report no. 27,” 2001, http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11301272001XXXXB0100.pdf.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Thematic household survey report No. 21,” 2005, http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11302212005XXXXB0100.pdf.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Thematic Household Survey Report No. 40,” 2009, http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11302402009XXXXB0100.pdf.
- Centre for Health Protection Department of Health of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Comparability of cause-of-death coding between ICD-9 and ICD-10,” Topical Health Report 5, 2005, http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/grp-com_of_cod_cod_bet_icd9-10-en-20051222.pdf.
- Department of Health of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “HealthyHK Death statistics—by sex and age, causes of death in 3-digit codes of the International Classification of Disease (from 2001 onwards) Instant Query,” 2011, http://www.healthyhk.gov.hk/phisweb/enquiry/mo_ysa10_indiv_e.html.
- Census and Statistics Department of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Hong Kong Life Tables 2001—2036,” 2007, http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B1120016032007XXXXB0100.pdf.
- C. Murray and A. Lopez, The Global Burden of Disease Cambridge (MA), Harvard School of Public Health on behalf of the World Health Organization and the World Bank, 1996.
- A. Lobo, P. Saz, G. Marcos et al., “Prevalence of dementia in a southern European population in two different time periods: the ZARADEMP Project,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 299–307, 2007.
- W. A. Rocca, R. C. Petersen, D. S. Knopman et al., “Trends in the incidence and prevalence of Alzheimer's disease, dementia, and cognitive impairment in the United States,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 80–93, 2011.
- S. Li, F. Yan, G. Li et al., “Is the dementia rate increasing in Beijing? Prevalence and incidence of dementia 10 years later in an urban elderly population,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 73–79, 2007.
- Y. Wakutani, M. Kusumi, K. Wada et al., “Longitudinal changes in the prevalence of dementia in a Japanese rural area,” Psychogeriatrics, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 150–154, 2007.
- A. Sekita, T. Ninomiya, Y. Tanizaki et al., “Trends in prevalence of Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in a Japanese community: the Hisayama Study,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 319–325, 2010.
- E. M. Schrijvers, B. F. Verhaaren, P. J. Koudstaal, A. Hofman, M. A. Ikram, and M. M. Breteler, “Is dementia incidence declining?: Trends in dementia incidence since 1990 in the Rotterdam Study,” Neurology, vol. 78, no. 19, pp. 1456–1463, 2012.
- Department of Clinical Biochemistry of Queen Mary Hospital of Hong Kong, “The Hong Kong cardiovascular risk factor prevalence study, 1995-1996,” 1997.
- Department of Health of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, “Heart Health Survey 2004/2005,” 2007, http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/Heart_Health_Survey_en_20071109.pdf.
- J. Woo, I. Chi, E. Hui, F. Chan, and A. Sham, “Low staffing level is associated with malnutrition in long-terms residential care homes,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 474–479, 2005.
- J. Lee and J. Woo, “And then there were none: a description of 28 patients dying with dementia,” Poster presented at Hospital Authority Convention 2008, 2008.
- S. L. Mitchell, D. K. Kiely, and M. B. Hamel, “Dying with advanced dementia in the nursing home,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 164, no. 3, pp. 321–326, 2004.
- G. A. Sachs, “Dying from dementia,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 16, pp. 1595–1596, 2009.
- J. Woo, R. S. K. Lo, J. Lee et al., “Improving end-of-life care for non-cancer patients in hospitals: description of a continuous quality improvement initiative,” Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 2009.
- S. C. Ho, A. Chan, J. Woo, P. Chong, and A. Sham, “Impact of caregiving on health and quality of life: a comparative population-based study of caregivers for elderly persons and noncaregivers,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 873–879, 2009.
- T. C. Y. Kwok, K. S. L. Yuen, F. K. Y. Ho, and W. M. Chan, “Getting lost in the community: a phone survey on the community-dwelling demented people in Hong Kong,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 427–432, 2010.
- M. S. Mittelman, D. L. Roth, D. W. Coon, and W. E. Haley, “Sustained benefit of supportive intervention for depressive symptoms in caregivers of patients with alzheimer's disease,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 850–856, 2004.
- C. M. Callahan, M. A. Boustani, F. W. Unverzagt et al., “Effectiveness of collaborative care for older adults with Alzheimer disease in primary care: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 18, pp. 2148–2157, 2006.
- World Health Organization, “Disease and injury country estimates,” 2012, http://www.who.int/entity/gho/mortality_burden_disease/global_burden_disease_death_estimates_sex_2008.xls.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, “Explanatory notes,” 2009, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/3303.0~2007~Explanatory+Notes~Explanatory+Notes?OpenDocument#271822221914994948.
- R. M. Sousa, C. P. Ferri, D. Acosta et al., “Contribution of chronic diseases to disability in elderly people in countries with low and middle incomes: a 10/66 Dementia Research Group population-based survey,” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9704, pp. 1821–1830, 2009.
- C. Mathers and M. Leonardi, “Global burden of dementia in the year 2000: summary of methods and data sources,” 2003, http://www.who.int/entity/healthinfo/statistics/bod_dementia.pdf.