- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 548157, 17 pages
Florbetaben PET in the Early Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease: A Discrete Event Simulation to Explore Its Potential Value and Key Data Gaps
1United BioSource Corporation, Health Economics-Modeling and Simulation, 430 Bedford Street, Suite 300, Lexington, MA 02420, USA
2Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center (MAVERIC) and VA Boston Healthcare System, 1400 VFW Parkway, West Roxbury, MA 02132, USA
3Division of Aging, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 1620 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02120, USA
4Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
5United BioSource Corporation, Biostatistics, 430 Bedford Street, Suite 300, Lexington, MA 02420, USA
6Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Global Market Access - General Medicine, 178 Müllerstraße, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Received 26 July 2012; Accepted 5 October 2012
Academic Editor: Francesco Panza
Copyright © 2012 Shien Guo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. Cummings, “Alzheimer's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 1, pp. 56–67, 2004.
- K. D. Kochanek, J. Xu, S. L. Murphy, et al., “Deaths: preliminary data for 2009,” National Center for Health Statistics, vol. 59, no. 4, 2011.
- A. Wimo, B. Winblad, and L. Jönsson, “The worldwide societal costs of dementia: estimates for 2009,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 98–103, 2010.
- J. Birks, “Cholinesterase inhibitors for Alzheimer's disease,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD005593, 2006.
- R. A. Hansen, G. Gartlehner, A. P. Webb, L. C. Morgan, C. G. Moore, and D. E. Jonas, “Efficacy and safety of donepezil, galantamine, and rivastigmine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 211–225, 2008.
- S. Banarjee and R. Wittenberg, “Clinical and cost effectiveness of services for early diagnosis and intervention in dementia,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 748–754, 2009.
- D. Getsios, S. Blume, K. J. Ishak, G. Maclaine, and L. Hernández, “An economic evaluation of early assessment for Alzheimer's disease in the United Kingdom,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2012.
- M. Löppönen, I. Räiha, R. Isoaho, T. Vahlberg, and S. L. Kivelä, “Diagnosing cognitive impairment and dementia in primary health care—a more active approach is needed,” Age and Ageing, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 606–612, 2003.
- N. A. Ranginwala, L. S. Hynan, M. F. Weiner, and C. L. White, “Clinical criteria for the diagnosis of alzheimer disease: still good after all these years,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 384–388, 2008.
- D. H. Taylor Jr., T. Østbye, K. M. Langa, D. Weir, and B. L. Plassman, “The accuracy of medicare claims as an epidemiological tool: the case of dementia revisited,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 807–815, 2009.
- L. M. Bloudek, D. E. Spackman, M. Blankenburg, et al., “Review and meta-analysis of biomarkers and diagnostic imaging in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 627–645, 2011.
- B. Dubois, H. H. Feldman, C. Jacova et al., “Revising the definition of Alzheimer's disease: a new lexicon,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1118–1127, 2010.
- H. Barthel, H. J. Gertz, S. Dresel et al., “Cerebral amyloid-β PET with florbetaben (18F) in patients with Alzheimer's disease and healthy controls: a multicentre phase 2 diagnostic study,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 424–435, 2011.
- H. Barthel, J. Luthardt, G. Becker et al., “Individualized quantification of brain β-amyloid burden: results of a proof of mechanism phase 0 florbetaben PET trial in patients with Alzheimer's disease and healthy controls,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1702–1714, 2011.
- V. L. Villemagne, K. Ong, R. S. Mulligan, et al., “Amyloid imaging with (18)F-florbetaben in Alzheimer disease and other dementias,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1210–1217, 2010.
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Hospital Outpatient File PPS Payment Rate, 2011.
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory Fee Schedule, 2011.
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, CMS Physician Fee Schedule, 2011.
- Red Book, Red Book For Windows 2011,060, 2011.
- C. W. Zhu, C. Leibman, T. McLaughlin et al., “Patient dependence and longitudinal changes in costs of care in Alzheimer's disease,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 416–423, 2008.
- J. Hill, H. Fillit, S. N. Shah, M. C. del Valle, and R. Futterman, “Patterns of healthcare utilization and costs for vascular dementia in a community-dwelling population,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2005.
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, “Healthcare financing review,” in 2010 Statistical Supplement, 2010.
- US Department of Labor, Federal minimal wage, 2011, http://www.dol.gov.
- J. J. Caro, “Pharmacoeconomic analyses using discrete event simulation,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 323–332, 2005.
- D. Getsios, S. Blume, K. J. Ishak, and G. D. H. Maclaine, “Cost effectiveness of donepezil in the treatment of mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: a UK evaluation using discrete-event simulation,” PharmacoEconomics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 411–427, 2010.
- S. Guo, L. Hernandez, R. Wasiak, and M. Gaudig, “Modelling the clinical and economic implications of galantamine in the treatment of mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease in Germany,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 641–654, 2010.
- J. Lipscome, M. C. Weinstein, and G. W. Torrance, “Time preference,” in Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine, M. R. Gold, J. E. Siegel, L. B. Russell, et al., Eds., Oxford University Press, New York, 1996.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, “Donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine (review) and memantine for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease,” 2006, http://www.nice.org.uk/.
- M. Ganguli, H. H. Dodge, C. Shen, and S. T. DeKosky, “Mild cognitive impairment, amnestic type: an epidemiologic study,” Neurology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 115–121, 2004.
- B. L. Plassman, K. M. Langa, G. G. Fisher et al., “Prevalence of dementia in the United States: the aging, demographics, and memory study,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 29, no. 1-2, pp. 125–132, 2007.
- J. Schultz and V. Joish, “Costs associated with changes in antidepressant treatment in a managed care population with major depressive disorder,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1604–1611, 2009.
- C. Ballard, J. O'Brien, C. M. Morris et al., “The progression of cognitive impairment in dementia with Lewy bodies, vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 499–503, 2001.
- H. Hanyu, T. Sato, K. Hirao, H. Kanetaka, H. Sakurai, and T. Iwamoto, “Differences in clinical course between dementia with Lewy bodies and Alzheimer's disease,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 212–217, 2009.
- K. Rascovsky, D. P. Salmon, A. M. Lipton et al., “Rate of progression differs in frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer disease,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 397–403, 2005.
- M. M. Williams, C. Xiong, J. C. Morris, and J. E. Galvin, “Survival and mortality differences between dementia with Lewy bodies vs Alzheimer disease,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 1935–1941, 2006.
- K. D. Kochanek, J. Xu, S. L. Murphy, et al., 2009 US Life Table, March, 2011.
- R. S. Wilson, N. T. Aggarwal, L. L. Barnes, J. L. Bienias, C. F. Mendes De Leon, and D. A. Evans, “Biracial population study of mortality in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 767–772, 2009.
- L. Jönsson, N. Andreasen, L. Kilander et al., “Patient- and proxy-reported utility in Alzheimer disease using the EuroQoL,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2006.
- C. K. Andersen, K. U. Wittrup-Jensen, A. Lolk, K. Andersen, and P. Kragh-Sørensen, “Ability to perform activities of daily living is the main factor affecting quality of life in patients with dementia,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 2, article 52, 2004.
- M. Ekman, J. Berg, A. Wimo, L. Jönsson, and C. McBurney, “Health utilities in mild cognitive impairment and dementia: a population study in Sweden,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 649–655, 2007.
- C. G. Schipke, O. Peters, I. Heuser, et al., “Impact of beta-amyloid-specific Florbetaben PET imaging on early diagnosis and patient management in Alzheimer's disease,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 416–422, 2012.
- P. J. Neumann, J. T. Cohen, J. K. Hammitt et al., “Willingness-to-pay for predictive tests with no immediate treatment implications: a survey of US residents,” Health Economics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 238–251, 2012.
- P. J. Neumann, J. K. Hammitt, C. Mueller et al., “Public attitudes about genetic testing for alzheimer's disease,” Health Affairs, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 252–264, 2001.
- M. Luppa, S. Heinrich, H. Matschinger, H. Sandholzer, M. C. Angermeyer, H. H. Konig, et al., “Direct costs associated with depression in old age in Germany,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 105, no. 1–3, pp. 195–204, 2008.