- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 164919, 6 pages
Longitudinal Changes in the Government-Certified Index Stage and Requisite Costs for Long-Term Care Insurance System among the Community-Dwelling Demented Elderly in Japan
1Department of Psychiatry, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3-25-8 Nishi-shinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8461, Japan
2Kiyokawa-Enju Hospital, 3414 Kiyokawa, Aiko District, Kanagawa 243-0112, Japan
3Faculty of Health and Sciences, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 7-2-10 Higashiogu, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-8551, Japan
Received 21 December 2012; Revised 31 January 2013; Accepted 1 February 2013
Academic Editor: Hiroyuki Umegaki
Copyright © 2013 Shunichiro Shinagawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. J. Warren, A. Grek, D. Conn, et al., “A correlation between cognitive performance and daily functioning in elderly people,” Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 96–100, 1989.
- F. Boersma, J. A. Eefsting, W. van Den Brink, and W. van Tilburg, “Care services for dementia patients: predictors for service utilization,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1119–1126, 1997.
- L. Etters, D. Goodall, and B. E. Harrison, “Caregiver burden among dementia patient caregivers: a review of the literature,” Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 423–428, 2008.
- P. T. van Dijk, D. W. Dippel, and J. D. Habbema, “Survival of patients with dementia,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 603–610, 1991.
- C. Wolfson, D. B. Wolfson, M. Asgharian et al., “A reevaluation of the duration of survival after the onset of dementia,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 15, pp. 1111–1116, 2001.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, White Paper on Welfare (kousei hakusho), Gyousei, Tokyo, Japan, 1996.
- J. C. Campbell and N. Ikegami, “Long-term care insurance comes to Japan: a major departure for Japan, this new program aims to be a comprehensive solution to the problem of caring for frail older people,” Health Affairs, vol. 19, pp. 26–38, 2000.
- S. Nandi, “Quantifying dementia care in Japan: a discussion on the long-term care insurance,” Psychogeriatrics, vol. 1, pp. 100–107, 2001.
- Y. Arai, S. H. Zarit, K. Kumamoto, and A. Takeda, “Are there inequities in the assessment of dementia under Japan's LTC insurance system?” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 346–352, 2003.
- N. Matsumoto, M. Ikeda, R. Fukuhara et al., “Caregiver burden associated with behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in elderly people in the local community,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 219–224, 2007.
- G. Rojas, L. Bartoloni, C. Dillon, C. M. Serrano, M. Iturry, and R. F. Allegri, “Clinical and economic characteristics associated with direct costs of Alzheimer's, frontotemporal and vascular dementia in Argentina,” International Psychogeriatrics, vol. 3, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- C. P. Hughes, L. Berg, W. L. Danziger, L. A. Coben, and R. L. Martin, “A new clinical scale for the staging of dementia,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 140, pp. 566–572, 1982.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “Mini mental state. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- T. Kobayashi, S. Hariguchi, and T. Nishimura, “A new clinical scale for rating of mental stage and activities of daily living of the elderly (NM scale and N-ADL),” Rinsho Seishin Igaku, vol. 17, pp. 1653–1658, 1988 (Japanese).
- S. Nakamura, M. Shigeta, M. Iwamoto, et al., “Prevalence and predominance of Alzheimer type dementia in rural Japan,” Psychogeriatrics, vol. 3, pp. 97–103, 2003.
- S. Shinagawa, S. Nakamura, M. Iwamoto, N. Tsuno, and M. Shigeta, “Identification of high-risk dementia cohorts in a community sample of Japanese elderly,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 735–740, 2009.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 1995.
- J. C. Morris, R. C. Mohs, H. Rogers, G. Fillenbaum, and A. Heyman, “Consortium To Establish a Registry for Alzheimer's Disease (CERAD) clinical and neuropsychological assessment of Alzheimer's disease,” Psychopharmacology Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 641–652, 1988.
- S. C. Waring, R. S. Doody, V. N. Pavlik, P. J. Massman, and W. Chan, “Survival among patients with dementia from a large multi-ethnic population,” Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 178–183, 2005.
- L. Schwarzkopf, P. Menn, S. Kunz et al., “Costs of care for dementia patients in community setting: an analysis for mild and moderate disease stage,” Value in Health, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 827–835, 2011.
- K. A. Jellinger, “The pathology of “vascular dementia”: a critical update,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 107–123, 2008.
- L. Schwarzkopf, P. Menn, R. Leidl, et al., “Excess costs of dementia disorders and the role of age and gender—an analysis of German health and long-term care insurance claims data,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 19, article 165, 2012.
- J. Hill, H. Fillit, S. N. Shah, M. C. Del Valle, and R. Futterman, “Patterns of healthcare utilization and costs for vascular dementia in a community-dwelling population,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2005.