- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 896836, 15 pages
Argon 4s and 4p Excited States Atomic Data Applied in ARC-JET Modeling
1Centre de Données Atomiques GAPHYOR, Laboratoire de Physique des Gaz et des Plasmas, UMR 8578,
Université de Paris XI,
91405 Orsay, France
2DEDALOS, 32 rue Charles de Gaulle, 91400 Orsay, France
3Institute of Electric Power Engineering, IEPE, Poznan University of Technology, 60-965 Poznan, Poland
4Institut Jean Le Rond d'Alembert, Université de Paris VI, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
Received 8 March 2011; Revised 31 May 2011; Accepted 16 June 2011
Academic Editor: I. D. Boyd
Copyright © 2011 K. Katsonis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Katsonis and H. W. Drawin, “Transition probabilities for argon(I),” Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1–55, 1980.
- K. Katsonis, C. Berenguer, and M. Cornille, “Atomic data in Ar thruster multidimensional modeling and optical diagnostics,” in Proceedings of the 31st International Electric Propulsion Conference, (IEPC '09), Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, September 2009.
- K. Katsonis, C. Berenguer, and M. Cornille, “Ar I transition probabilities and excitation cross sections involving the 4s metastable levels and the 4/5p configurations,” Report LPGP-GA-22, Orsay, France, 2008.
- K. Katsonis, C. Berenguer, R. Srivastava, et al., “Ar I transition probabilities and excitation cross sections involving the 4s metastable levels and the 4/5p configurations,” in Proceedings of the 40th European Group for Atomic Systems Conference, (EGAS '08), Graz, Austria, July 2008.
- D. R. Bates and A. Damgaard, “The calculation of the absolute strengths of spectral lines,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A, vol. 242, no. 842, pp. 101–122, 1949.
- W. Eissner, M. Jones, and H. Nussbaumer, “Techniques for the calculation of atomic structures and radiative data including relativistic corrections,” Computer Physics Communications, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 270–306, 1974.
- J. Abdallah Jr., R. E. H. Clark, and R. D. Cowan, “CATS: the Cowan Atomic Structure Code,” Report LA-11436-M, Vol I, 1988.
- C. Berenguer, K. Katsonis, S. Danakas, S. Cohen, P. Tsekeris, and M. Cornille, “Study of the first three Ar I, II, III spectra using a C-R model,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Atomic and Molecular Data and Their Applications, (ICAMDATA '08), Beijing, China, October 2008.
- H. M. Grosswhite and G. H. Diecke, “Important atomic spectra,” in American Institute of Physics Handbook, D. E. Gray, Ed., pp. 7–58, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1957.
- K. Katsonis and C. Berenguer, “Electron collision excitation of the lower Ar I levels,” Report LPGP-GA-23, Orsay, France, 2008.
- K. Katsonis and C. Berenguer, “Ar I transition probabilities and excitation cross sections from the 4s transitory levels to the 4/5p configurations,” Report LPGP-GA-26, Orsay, France, 2009.
- H. W. Drawin, “Collision and transport cross sections,” Report EURATOM-CEA-FC 383, Fontenay-aux-Roses, France, 1966-1967.
- M. Gryziński, “Classical theory of electronic and ionic inelastic collisions,” Physical Review, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 374–383, 1959.
- K. Katsonis and H. Varvoglis, “The CTMC method as part of the study of classical chaotic hamiltonian systems,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 28, no. 15, p. L483, 1995.
- K. Katsonis, K. Dimitriou, and F. Sattin, “Using three-, four- and five-body CTMC methods in evaluating cross sections in atomic collisions,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Atomic and Molecular Data and Their Applications, (ICAMDATA '02), Gatlinburg, Tenn, USA, April 2002.
- F. Sattin and K. Katsonis, “Electron impact ionization close to the threshold: classical calculations,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. L63–L68, 2003.
- R. K. Gangwar, K. Katsonis, C. Berenguer, et al., “Electron collision excitation of the lower Ar I levels,” in Proceedings of the DAE-BRNS symposium, pp. 108–109, New Delhi, India, Febraury 2009.
- N. T. Padial, G. D. Meneses, F. J. da Paix, G. Csanak, and D. C. Cartwright, “Electron-impact excitation of the lowest four excited states of argon,” Physical Review A, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 2194–2212, 1981.
- A. Dasgupta, M. Blaha, and J. L. Giuliani, “Electron-impact excitation from the ground and the metastable levels of Ar I,” Physical Review A, vol. 61, no. 1, Article ID 012703, 10 pages, 1999, Erratum: Physical Review A, vol. 65, no. 3, Article ID 039905, 1 page, 2002.
- A. Chutjian and D. C. Cartwright, “Electron-impact excitation of electronic states in argon at incident energies between 16 and 100 eV,” Physical Review A, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 2178–2193, 1981.
- S. Tsurubuchi, T. Miyazaki, and K. Motohashi, “Electron-impact emission cross sections of Ar,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1785–1801, 1996.
- S. Kaur, R. Srivastava, R. P. McEachran, and A. D. Stauffer, “Electron impact excitation of the np5(nfl)p States of Ar(), Kr() and Xe() atoms,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 31, no. 21, pp. 4833–4852, 1998.
- D. H. Madison, C. M. Maloney, and J. B. Wang, “Integral and differential cross section for electron-impact excitation of 12 of the lowest states of argon,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 873–893, 1998.
- V. E. Bubelev and A. N. Grum-Grzhimailo, “Excitation of the 2p levels of inert gases by electrons in the distorted-wave approximation: neon and argon,” Optics and Spectroscopy, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 178–182, 1990.
- J. E. Chilton, J. B. Boffard, R. S. Schappe, and C. C. Lin, “Measurement of electron-impact excitation into the 3p54p levels of argon using Fourier-transform spectroscopy,” Physical Review A, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 267–277, 1998.
- I. I. Sobelman, Introduction to the Theory of the Atomic Spectra, Pergamon Press, Oxford, UK, 1972.
- R. Srivastava, A. D. Stauffer, and L. Sharma, “Excitation of the metastable states of the noble gases,” Physical Review A, vol. 74, no. 1, Article ID 012715, 2006.
- C. M. Maloney, J. L. Peacher, K. Bartschat, and D. H. Madison, “Excitation of Ar 3p54s—3p54p transitions by electron impact,” Physical Review A, vol. 61, no. 2, Article ID 022701, 5 pages, 2000.
- K. Bartschat and V. Zeman, “Electron-impact excitation from the (3p54s) metastable states of argon,” Physical Review A, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. R2552–R2554, 1999.
- J. B. Boffard, G. A. Piech, M. F. Gehrke, M. E. Lagus, L. W. Anderson, and C. C. Lin, “Electron impact excitation out of the metastable levels of argon into the 3p54p level,” Journal of Physics B, vol. 29, no. 22, pp. L795–L800, 1996.
- J. B. Boffard, G. A. Piech, M. F. Gehrke, L. W. Anderson, and C. C. Lin, “Measurement of electron-impact excitation cross sections out of metastable levels of argon and comparison with ground-state excitation,” Physical Review A, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 2749–2763, 1999.
- G. A. Piech, J. B. Boffard, M. F. Gehrke, L. W. Anderson, and C. C. Lin, “Measurement of cross sections for electron excitation out of the metastable levels of argon,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 309–312, 1998.
- S. Ashida, C. Lee, and M. A. Lieberman, “Spatially averaged (global) model of time modulated high density argon plasmas,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 2498–2507, 1995.
- M. A. Lieberman and A. J. Lichtenberg, Principles of Plasma Discharges and Materials Processing, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 2005.
- F. Kannari, M. Obara, and T. Fujioka, “An advanced kinetic model of electron-beam-excited KrF lasers including the vibrational relaxation in Kr(B) and collisional mixing of Kr(B,C),” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 4309–4322, 1985.
- J. H. Jacob and J. A. Mangano, “Modeling the KrF laser discharge,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 724–726, 1976.
- J. H. Jacob and J. A. Mangano, “Total electron impact excitation cross sections of Ar and Kr,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 467–469, 1976.
- M. Shaper and H. Scheibner, “Beitr,” Plasmaphys, vol. 43, p. 1464, 1965.
- E. Eggarter, “Comprehensive optical and collision data for radiation action. II. Ar,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 833–847, 1975.
- A. Kaminska, B. Lopez, B. Izrar, and M. Dudeck, “Modelling of an argon plasma jet generated by a dc arc,” Plasma Sources Science and Technology, vol. 17, no. 3, Article ID 035018, 2008.
- R. S. Devoto, “Transport coefficients of ionized argon,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 616–623, 1973.
- H. B. Milloy, R. W. Crompton, J. A. Rees, and A. G. Robertson, “The momentum transfer cross sections for electrons in ergon in the energy range 0–4 eV,” Australian Journal of Physics, vol. 30, pp. 61–72, 1977.
- C. H. Chang and E. Pfender, “Nonequilibrium modeling of low-pressure argon plasma jets; part I: laminar flow,” Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 473–491, 1990.
- J. J. Beulens, D. Milojevic, D. C. Schram, and P. M. Vallinga, “A two-dimensional nonequilibrium model of cascaded arc plasma flows,” Physics of Fluids B, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 2548–2557, 1991.
- R. S. Devoto, “Transport properties of ionized monatomic gases,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1230–1240, 1966.
- G. M. W. Kroesen, D. C. Schram, C. J. Timmermans, and J. C. M. De Haas, “The energy balance of a plasma in partial local thermodynamic equilibrium,” IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 985–991, 1990.
- K. Katsonis, S. Pellerin, and K. Dzierzega, “Collisional-radiative type modelling and application in plasma diagnostics,” High Temperature Material Processes, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 559–568, 2003.