- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 182907, 17 pages
Parachute-Payload System Flight Dynamics and Trajectory Simulation
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica e Aerospaziale, Politecnico di Torino, Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, 10129 Torino, Italy
Received 15 November 2011; Revised 2 February 2012; Accepted 14 March 2012
Academic Editor: C. B. Allen
Copyright © 2012 Giorgio Guglieri. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. J. Cockrell and A. D. Young, “The aerodynamics of parachutes,” AGARD AG-295, 1987.
- T. W. Knacke, Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual, Para Publishing, 1st edition, 1992.
- R. C. Maydew and C. W. Peterson, “Design and testing of high performance parachutes,” AGARD AG-319, 1991.
- NASA Langley Research Center, “Deployable aerodynamic deceleration systems,” NASA SP-8066, 1971.
- M. L. Accorsi, J. W. Leonard, R. J. Benney, and K. R. Stein, “Structural modeling of parachute dynamics,” AIAA Journal, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 139–146, 2000.
- M. L. Accorsi, R. J. Benney, V. Kalro, J. W. Leonard, K. R. Stein, and T. E. Tezduyar, “Parachute fluid-structure interactions: 3-D computation,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 190, no. 3-4, pp. 373–386, 2000.
- M. L. Accorsi, R. J. Benney, J. W. Leonard, K. R. Stein, and T. E. Tezduyar, “Fluid-structure interactions of a round parachute: modelling and simulation techniques,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 800–808, 2001.
- J. R. Cruz and J. S. Lingard, “Aerodynamic decelerators for planetary exploration: past, present, and future,” in Proceedings of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, pp. 5342–5361, August 2006.
- M. Ballion, “Blunt bodies dynamic derivatives,” AGARD R808, 1995.
- G. Guglieri and F. Quagliotti, “Low speed dynamic tests on a capsule configuration,” Aerospace Science and Technology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 383–390, 2000.
- L. E. Ericsson and J. P. Reding, “Re-entry capsule dynamics,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 579–586, 1971.
- R. G. Hume, A Two Dimensional Mathematical Model of a Parachute in Steady Descent, Aeronautical Research Council, 1973, C.P. No. 1260.
- M. Neustadt, R. E. Ericksen, J. J. Guiteras, and J. A. Larrivee, “A parachute recovery system dynamic analysis,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 321–326, 1967.
- F. M. White and D. F. Wolf, “A theory of three-dimensional parachute dynamic stability,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 86–92, 1968.
- D. Wolf, “Dynamic stability of a nonrigid parachute and payload system,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 603–609, 1971.
- K. F. Doherr and H. Schilling, “Nine degree-of-freedom simulation of rotating parachute systems,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 774–781, 1992.
- C. Tory and R. Ayres, “Computer model of a fully deployed parachute,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 675–679, 1977.
- J. A. Eaton, “Added masses and dynamic stability of parachutes,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 414–416, 1982.
- J. A. Eaton, “Added fluid mass and the equations of motion of a parachute,” Aeronautical Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 226–242, 1983.
- P. A. Cuthbert, “A software simulation of cargo drop test,” in Proceedings of the 17th AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference, Monterey, Calif, USA, 2003, AIAA Paper 2003-2132.
- P. A. Cuthbert and K. J. Desabrais, “Validation of a cargo airdrop simulator,” in Proceedings of the 17th AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference, Monterey, Calif, USA, 2003, AIAA Paper 2003-2133.
- P. C. Klimas, “Fluid mass associated with an axisymmetric canopy,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 577–580, 1977.
- G. Guglieri and F. Quagliotti, “Validation of a simulation model for a planetary entry capsule,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 127–136, 2003.
- U. M. Ascher and L. R. Petzold, Computer Methods for Ordinary Differential Equations and Differential Algebraic Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1999.
- K. E. Brenan, S. L. Campbell, and L. R. Petzold, Numerical Solution of Initial Value Problems in Differential Algebraic Equations, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1996.
- L. R. Petzold, “Description of DASSL: a differential algebraic system solver,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Mathematics and Computers Simulation Congress on Systems Simulation and Scientific Computation, Montreal, Canada, 1982.
- R. Celi, “Solution of rotary-wing aeromechanical problems using differential-algebraic equation solvers,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 253–263, 2000.
- S. Portigliotti, J. C. Paulat, and Rives J., “ARD descent and recovery subsystem dynamics and trajectory flight data evaluation,” in Proceedings of the 1st AAAF International Symposium on Atmospheric Reentry Vehicles and Systems, Arcachon, France, 1999.
- S. Portigliotti, “Parachute flight dynamics modeling and simulation: code validation through ARD post-flight analysis,” in Proceedings of the 2nd AAAF International Symposium on Atmospheric Reentry Vehicles and Systems, Arcachon, France, 2001.
- E. S. Hanff, “Direct forced oscillation techniques for the determination of stability derivatives in wind tunnel,” AGARD LS-114, 1981.