- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 231935, 9 pages
Guidance Stabilization of Satellites Using the Geomagnetic Field
1Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications, University of Aveiro, Portugal
2School of Technology and Management, Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo, Avenida do Atlântico, 4900-348 Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Received 21 October 2011; Revised 13 January 2012; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Kenneth M. Sobel
Copyright © 2012 Francisco Miranda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. T.-Y. Wen and K. Kreutz-Delgado, “The attitude control problem,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1148–1162, 1991.
- O.-E. Fjellstad and T. I. Fossen, “Comments on “The attitude control problem”,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 699–700, 1994.
- F. Caccavale and L. Villani, “Output feedback control for attitude tracking,” Systems and Control Letters, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 91–98, 1999.
- M. R. Akella, “Rigid body attitude tracking without angular velocity feedback,” Systems and Control Letters, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 321–326, 2001.
- C. I. Byrnes and A. Isidori, “On the attitude stabilization of rigid spacecraft,” Automatica, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 87–95, 1991.
- P. Morin, C. Samson, J.-B. Pomet, and Z.-P. Jiang, “Time-varying feedback stabilization of the attitude of a rigid spacecraft with two controls,” Systems and Control Letters, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 375–385, 1995.
- H. Iida and K. Ninomiya, “A new approach to magnetic angular momentum management for large scientific satellites,” NEC Research and Development, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 60–77, 1996.
- L. D. D. Ferreira and J. J. Cruz, “Attitude and spin rate control of a spinning satellite using geomagnetic field,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 216–218, 1991.
- M. E. Pittelkau, “Optimal periodic control for spacecraft pointing and attitude determination,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1078–1084, 1993.
- K. T. Alfriend, “Magnetic attitude control system for dual-spin satellites,” AIAA Journal, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 817–822, 1975.
- J. S. White, F. H. Shigemoto, and K. Bourquin, “Satellite attitude control utilizing the Earth’s magnetic field,” Tech. Rep. D-1068, NASA, Washington, DC, USA, 1961.
- A. C. Stickler and K. T. Alfriend, “Elementary magnetic attitude control system,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 282–287, 1976.
- F. Martel, P. K. Pal, and M. L. Psiaki, “Active magnetic control system for gravity gradient stabilized spacecraft,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Annual AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, Logan, Utah, USA, September 1988.
- K. L. Musser and W. L. Ebert, “Autonomous spacecraft attitude control using magnetic torquing only,” in Proceedings of the Flight Mechanics/Estimation Theory Symposium, pp. 23–38, NASA, May 1989.
- R. Wiśniewski, “Nonlinear control for satellite detumbling based on magnetic torquing,” in Proceedings of the 22nd (JSDE) Joint Service Data Exchange for Guidance, Navigation and Control, Scottsdale, Ariz, USA, October-November 1994.
- R. Wiśniewski and M. Blanke, “Three-axis satellite attitude control based on magnetic torquing,” in Proceedings of the 13th IFAC World Congress, San Francisco, Calif, USA, June 1996.
- E. Silani and M. Lovera, “Magnetic spacecraft attitude control: a survey and some new results,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 357–371, 2005.
- R. Wiśniewski and M. Blanke, “Fully magnetic attitude control for spacecraft subject to gravity gradient,” Automatica, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1201–1214, 1999.
- R. Wiśniewski, “Linear time-varying approach to satellite attitude control using only electromagnetic actuation,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 640–647, 2000.
- M. L. Psiaki, “Magnetic torquer attitude control via asymptotic periodic linear quadratic regulation,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 386–394, 2001.
- R. Wiśniewski and F. L. Markley, “Optimal magnetic attitude control,” in Proceedings of the 14th IFAC World Congress, Beijing, China, July 1999.
- M. Lovera, E. De Marchi, and S. Bittanti, “Periodic attitude control techniques for small satellites with magnetic actuators,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 90–95, 2002.
- H. Yan, I. M. Ross, and K. T. Alfriend, “Pseudospectral feedback control for three-axis magnetic attitude stabilization in elliptic orbits,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1107–1115, 2007.
- M. Corno and M. Lovera, “Spacecraft attitude dynamics and control in the presence of large magnetic residuals,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 456–468, 2009.
- T. Pulecchi, M. Lovera, and A. Varga, “Optimal discrete-time design of three-axis magnetic attitude control laws,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 714–722, 2010.
- M. Abdelrahman, I. Chang, and S.-Y. Park, “Magnetic torque attitude control of a satellite using the state-dependent Riccati equation technique,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 758–771, 2011.
- C. Arduini and P. Baiocco, “Active magnetic damping attitude control for gravity gradient stabilized spacecraft,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 117–122, 1997.
- C. J. Damaren, “Comments on “Fully magnetic attitude control for spacecraft subject to gravity gradient”,” Automatica, vol. 38, no. 12, p. 2189, 2002.
- M. Lovera and A. Astolfi, “Global attitude regulation using magnetic control,” in Proceedings of the 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC '01), pp. 4604–4609, Orlando, FL, USA, December 2001.
- M. Lovera and A. Astolfi, “Spacecraft attitude control using magnetic actuators,” Automatica, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1405–1414, 2004.
- M. Lovera and A. Astolfi, “Global magnetic attitude control of inertially pointing spacecraft,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1065–1067, 2005.
- M. Lovera and A. Astolfi, “Global magnetic attitude control of spacecraft in the presence of gravity gradient,” IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 796–805, 2006.
- V. Bushenkov and G. Smirnov, Stabilization Problems with Constraints: Analysis and Computational Aspects, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1997.
- L. S. Pontryagin, “Linear differential games. I,” Soviet Mathematics. Doklady, vol. 8, pp. 769–771, 1967.
- R. N. Izmailov, “The peak effect in stationary linear systems with scalar inputs and outputs,” Automation and Remote Control, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 1018–1024, 1987.
- H. J. Sussmann and P. V. Kokotovic, “The peaking phenomenon and the global stabilization of nonlinear systems,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 424–440, 1991.
- G. Smirnov, V. Bushenkov, and F. Miranda, “Advances on the transient growth quantification in linear control systems,” International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Statistics, vol. 14, no. J09, pp. 82–92, 2009.
- S. P. Bhat, “Controllability of nonlinear time-varying systems: applications to spacecraft attitude control using magnetic actuation,” IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1725–1735, 2005.
- G. Smirnov, Introduction to the Theory of Differential Inclusions, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, USA, 2002.
- I. V. Burkov, “Asymptotic stabilization of the position of a rigid body with fixed point without velocity measurements,” Systems and Control Letters, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 205–209, 1995.
- S. Sastry, Nonlinear Systems: Analysis, Stability, and Control, Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, Vol. 10, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1999.