- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 372167, 11 pages
High-Velocity Impact Behaviour of Prestressed Composite Plates under Bird Strike Loading
Department of Structures Engineering, Production and Aeromechanics, EADS Innovation Works, Willy-Messerschmitt-Straße, 81663 Munich, Germany
Received 11 October 2011; Revised 12 January 2012; Accepted 17 January 2012
Academic Editor: Mark Price
Copyright © 2012 Sebastian Heimbs and Tim Bergmann. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. T. Chiu, Y. Y. Liou, Y. C. Chang, and C. L. Ong, “Low velocity impact behavior of prestressed composite laminates,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 268–272, 1997.
- M. D. Robb, W. S. Arnold, and I. H. Marshall, “The damage tolerance of GRP laminates under biaxial prestress,” Composite Structures, vol. 32, no. 1–4, pp. 141–149, 1995.
- A. Kursun and M. Senel, “Investigation of the effect of low-velocity impact on composite plates with preloading,” Experimental Techniques. In press.
- J. H. Tweed, R. J. Lee, R. J. Dyson, N. L. Hancox, and J. C. McCarthy, “Impact performance of stressed composites,” in Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Composite Materials (ECCM '96), pp. 111–116, London, UK, May 1996.
- B. R. Butcher, “The impact resistance of unidirectional CFRP under tensile stress,” Fibre Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 295–326, 1979.
- B. R. Butcher and P. J. Fernback, “Impact resistance of unidirectional CFRP under tensile stress: further experimental variables,” Fibre Science and Technology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 41–58, 1981.
- K. M. Mikkor, R. S. Thomson, I. Herszberg, T. Weller, and A. P. Mouritz, “Finite element modelling of impact on preloaded composite panels,” Composite Structures, vol. 75, no. 1–4, pp. 501–513, 2006.
- B. Whittingham, I. H. Marshall, T. Mitrevski, and R. Jones, “The response of composite structures with pre-stress subject to low velocity impact damage,” Composite Structures, vol. 66, no. 1–4, pp. 685–698, 2004.
- A. K. Pickett, M. R. C. Fouinneteau, and P. Middendorf, “Test and modelling of impact on pre-loaded composite panels,” Applied Composite Materials, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 225–244, 2009.
- A. D. Kelkar, J. Sankar, K. Rajeev, R. J. Aschenbrenner, and G. Schoeppner, “Analysis of tensile preloaded composites subjected to low-velocity impact loads,” in Proceedings of the 39th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, pp. 1978–1987, Long Beach, Calif, USA, April 1998.
- A. D. Kelkar, J. Sankar, and C. Grace, “Behavior of tensile preloaded composites subjected to low-velocity impact loads,” American Society of Mechanical Engineers, vol. 369, pp. 39–46, 1997.
- T. Mitrevski, I. H. Marshall, R. S. Thomson, and R. Jones, “Low-velocity impacts on preloaded GFRP specimens with various impactor shapes,” Composite Structures, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 209–217, 2006.
- A. Nettles, V. Daniel, and C. Branscomb, “The effects of tensile preloads on the impact response of carbon/epoxy laminates,” in Proceedings of the 40th International SAMPE Symposium, pp. 1019–1025, Anaheim, Calif, USA, May 1995.
- D. C. Phillips, N. Park, and R. J. Lee, “The impact behaviour of high performance, ceramic matrix fibre composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 37, no. 1–3, pp. 249–265, 1990.
- N. Park, “The impact response of composites under stress,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference, Fibre Reinforced Composites (FRC '90), pp. 137–143, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, March 1990.
- B. V. Sankar and C. T. Sun, “Low-velocity impact damage in graphite-epoxy laminates subjected to tensile initial stresses,” AIAA journal, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 470–471, 1986.
- S. Heimbs, S. Heller, P. Middendorf, F. Hähnel, and J. Weiße, “Low velocity impact on CFRP plates with compressive preload: test and modelling,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 36, no. 10-11, pp. 1182–1193, 2009.
- X. Zhang, G. A. O. Davies, and D. Hitchings, “Impact damage with compressive preload and post-impact compression of carbon composite plates,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 485–509, 1999.
- H. Morlo and J. Kunz, “Impact behaviour of loaded composites,” in Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Composite Materials, Stuttgart, Germany, September 1990.
- I. H. Choi, “Low-velocity impact analysis of composite laminates under initial in-plane load,” Composite Structures, vol. 86, no. 1–3, pp. 251–257, 2008.
- C. T. Sun and J. K. Chen, “On the impact of initially stressed composite laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 490–504, 1985.
- C. T. Sun and S. Chattopadhyay, “Dynamic response of anisotropic laminated plates under initial stress to impact of a mass,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions ASME, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 693–698, 1975.
- S. M. R. Khalili, R. K. Mittal, and N. M. Panah, “Analysis of fiber reinforced composite plates subjected to transverse impact in the presence of initial stresses,” Composite Structures, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 263–268, 2007.
- I. Herszberg, T. Weller, K. H. Leong, and M. K. Bannister, “The residual tensile strength of stitched and unstitched carbon/epoxy laminates impacted under tensile load,” in Proceedings of the 1st Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics, pp. 309–314, Melbourne, Australia, February 1996.
- D. Schueler, N. Toso-Pentecote, and H. Voggenreiter, “Modelling of high velocity impact on preloaded composite panels,” in Proceedings of the 3rd ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on the Mechanical Response of Composites, pp. 587–594, Composites, Hannover, Germany, September 2011.
- U. K. Vaidya and B. Shafiq, “Dynamic response of navy relevant laminated and sandwich composites subjected to complex impact loads,” in Workshop on Dynamic Failure of Composite and Sandwich Structures, pp. 39–44, Toulouse, France, June 2011.
- S. K. Garcia-Castillo, S. Sanchez-Saez, J. Lopez-Puente, E. Barbero, and C. Navarro, “Impact behaviour of preloaded glass/polyester woven plates,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 711–717, 2009.
- S. K. Garcia-Castillo, S. Sanchez-Saez, E. Barbero, and C. Navarro, “Response of pre-loaded laminate composite plates subject to high velocity impact,” Journal de Physique IV, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 1257–1263, 2006.
- J. M. Guimard and S. Heimbs, “Towards the industrial assessment of bird strike simulations on composite laminate structures,” in Proceedings of the 3rd ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on the Mechanical Response of Composites, Composites, Hannover, Germany, September 2011.
- R. Borg, L. Nilsson, and K. Simonsson, “Simulation of low velocity impact on fiber laminates using a cohesive zone based delamination model,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 279–288, 2004.
- M. Ilyas, F. Lachaud, C. Espinosa, and M. Salaün, “Dynamic delamination of aeronautic structural composites by using cohesive finite elements,” in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM '09), Edinburgh, UK, July 2009.
- T. Diehl, “On using a penalty-based cohesive-zone finite element approach, part I: elastic solution benchmarks,” International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, vol. 28, no. 4-5, pp. 237–255, 2008.
- W. Liebig, “TUHH: MAAXIMUS achievements and way forward, status at M35,” in Proceedings of the MAAXIMUS Technical Meeting, Technical University Hamburg-Harburg, Ottobrunn, Germany, February 15.
- N. Toso, D. Kohlgrüber, D. Schueler, M. Waimer, and A. Johnson, “MAAXIMUS WP 3.5—vulnerability, DLR test activities, DLR stuttgart,” in Proceedings of the MAAXIMUS Technical Meeting, Hamburg, Germany, November 2010.
- J. S. Wilbeck and J. L. Rand, “Development of a substitute bird model,” Journal of Engineering for Power, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 725–730, 1981.
- S. Heimbs, “Computational methods for bird strike simulations: a review,” Computers & Structures, vol. 89, no. 23-24, pp. 2093–2112, 2011.
- Dassault Systems Simulia Corp, A Strategy for Bird Strike Simulations Using Abaqus/Explicit. Simulia Online Support Dokument, Answer-ID 4493 (Best Practices for Birdstrike Analysis), 2011.
- S. Heimbs, “Bird strike simulations on composite aircraft structures,” in Proceedings of the SIMULIA Customer Conference (SCC '11), pp. 73–86, Barcelona, Spain, May 2011.
- J. S. Wilbeck, “Impact behaviour of low strength projectiles,” Report AFML-TR-77-134, US Air Force, 1978.
- C. J. Welsh and V. Centonze, “Aircraft transparency testing—artificial birds,” Report AEDC-TR-86-2, US Air Force, 1986.
- M. A. Lavoie, A. Gakwaya, M. N. Ensan, D. G. Zimcik, and D. Nandlall, “Bird's substitute tests results and evaluation of available numerical methods,” International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol. 36, no. 10-11, pp. 1276–1287, 2009.
- S. Kari, J. Gabrys, and D. Lincks, “Birdstrike analysis of radome and wing leading edge using LS-DYNA,” in Proceedings of the 5th International LS-DYNA Users Conference, Southfield, Mich, USA, September 1998.
- M. A. Lavoie, A. Gakwaya, M. N. Ensan, and D.G. Zimcik, “Validation of available approaches for numerical bird strike modelling tools,” International Review of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 380–389, 2007.
- D. Ivancevic and I. Smojver, “Hybrid approach in bird strike damage prediction on aeronautical composite structures,” Composite Structures, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2011.
- R. Hedayati and S. Ziaei-Rad, “Effect of impact orientation on bird strike analysis,” International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 184–191, 2011.
- I. Smojver and D. Ivancevic, “Numerical simulation of bird strike damage prediction in airplane flap structure,” Composite Structures, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 2016–2026, 2010.