- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 542165, 8 pages
Flight Performance Analysis of an Image Processing Algorithm for Integrated Sense-and-Avoid Systems
Department of Aerospace Engineering (DIAS), University of Naples “Federico II”, Piazzale Tecchio 80, 80125 Naples, Italy
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 30 April 2012
Academic Editor: Mark Price
Copyright © 2012 Lidia Forlenza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Eurocontrol, Eurocontrol Specifications for The Use of Military Unmanned Aerial Vehicles as Operational Air Traffic Outside Segregated Airspace, EUROCONTROL-SPEC-0102, Bruxelles, Belgium, 2007.
- US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Airworthiness Certification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Order 8130.34, US Federal Aviation Administration, Washington DC, USA, 2008.
- US Department of Defence (DoD), Unmanned Aircraft Systems Roadmap 2005–2030, UAS Roadmap, US Department of Defence, Washington DC, USA, 3rd edition, 2005.
- T. H. Cox and I. Somers, Earth Observations and the Role of UAVs: A Capabilities Assessment, Earth Observations and the Role of UAVs: Background Data, NASA-Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif, USA, 2006.
- ASTM Standard C33, 2003, ASTM Designation: F 2411-07, Standard Specification for Design and Performance of an Airborne Sense-and-Avoid System, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2007.
- J. Utt, J. McCalmont, and M. Deschenes, “Test and integration of a detect and avoid system,” in Proceedings of AIAA 3rd Unmanned Unlimited Technical Conference, pp. 1–10, Chicago, Ill, USA, September 2004, AIAA Paper 2004–6329.
- G. Fasano, D. Accardo, A. Moccia et al., “Multi-sensor-based fully autonomous non-cooperative collision avoidance system for unmanned air vehicles,” Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information and Communication, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 338–360, 2008.
- D. R. Maroney, R. H. Bolling, R. Athale, and A. D. Christiansen, “Experimentally Scoping the Range of UAS Sense and Avoid Capability,” in Proceedings of the 2nd AIAA Infotech at Aerospace Conference and Exhibit, pp. 1–16, Rohnert Park, Calif, USA, 2007, Paper AIAA 2007-2850.
- MTSI, “Non-cooperative detect, see, & avoid (DSA) sensor study,” NASA ERAST Technical Report, 2002.
- O. Shakernia, W. Z. Chen, S. Graham et al., “Sense and Avoid (SAA) flight test and lessons learned,” in Proceedings of AIAA InfoTech at Aerospace Conference, pp. 2781–2795, Rohnert Park, Calif, USA, May 2007, Paper AIAA 2007-3003.
- B. Korn and C. Edinger, “Uas in civil airspace: Demonstrating “Sense and Avoid” capabilities in flight trials,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/AIAA 27th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC '08), pp. 4.D.1-1–4.D.1-7, St. Paul, Minn, USA, October 2008.
- G. Fasano, L. Forlenza, D. Accardo, A. Moccia, and A. Rispoli, “Data fusion for UAS collision avoidance: results from flight testing,” in Proceedings of the AIAA Infotech at Aerospace Technical Conference, Hyatt Regency Saint Louis, St. Louis, Mo, USA, March 2011.
- J. Utt, J. McCalmont, and M. Deschenes, “Development of a sense and avoid system,” in Proceedings of the 1st AIAA Infotech at Aerospace Conference, pp. 2443–2450, usa, September 2005.
- R. Cutler and M. Turk, “View-based interpretation of real-time optical flow for gesture recognition,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, Nara, Japan, April 1998.
- J. Lai, L. Mejias, and J. J. Ford, “Airborne vision-based collision-detection system,” Journal of Field Robotics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 137–157, 2011.
- D. Dey, C. Geyer, S. Singh, and M. Digioia, “Passive, long-range detection of aircraft: towards a field deployable sense and avoid system,” Field and Service Robotics, vol. 62, pp. 113–123, 2010.
- G. Fasano, D. Accardo, A. Moccia, and A. Rispoli, “An innovative procedure for calibration of strapdown electro-optical sensors onboard unmanned air vehicles,” Sensors, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 639–654, 2010.
- W. K. Pratt, “Image analysis,” in Digital Image Processing, chapter 5, pp. 447–625, Wiley Interscience, Mountain View, Calif, USA, 1991.
- J. Hwang, K. Huh, and D. Lee, “Vision-based vehicle detection and tracking algorithm design,” Optical Engineering, vol. 48, no. 12, Article ID 127201, 2009.
- E. Nadernajad and S. Sharifzadeh, “Edge detection techniques: evaluations and comparisons,” Applied Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2, no. 31, pp. 1507–1520, 2008.
- L. Forlenza, G. Fasano, D. Accardo, A. Moccia, and A. Rispoli, “A hardware in the loop facility for testing multisensor sense and avoid systems,” in Proceedings of the 28th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, pp. 5.C.4-1–5.C.4-10, Orlando, Fla, USA, October 2009.
- Y. Watanabe, C. Lesire, A. Piquereau, P. Fabiani, M. Sanfourche, and G. Le Besnerais, “The ONERA ReSSAC unmanned autonomous helicopter: visual air-to-ground target tracking in an Urban environment,” in Proceedings of the 66th Annual Forum, The American Helicopter Society, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, May 2010.
- S. Hsia, C. H. Hsiao, and C. Huang, “Single-object-based segmentation and coding technique for video surveillance system,” Journal of Electronic Imaging, vol. 18, no. 3, Article ID 033007, 2009.
- T. Yang, Y. Zhang, D. Shao, and Y. Li, “Clustering method for counting passengers getting in a bus with single camera,” Optical Engineering, vol. 49, no. 3, Article ID 037203, 2010.
- J. R. Gómez, E. H. Jaraba, M. A. Montañés, F. M. Contreras, and C. O. Uruñuela, “Detection and classification of football players with automatic generation of models,” Optical Engineering, vol. 49, no. 1, Article ID 017005, 2010.
- R. Fisher, S. Perkins, A. Walker, and E. Welfar, “Thresholding,” in Hypermedia Image Processing Reference, 2003.
- H. Voorhees and T. Poggio, “Detecting textons and texture boundaries in natural images,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Computer Vision London (ICCV '87), pp. 250–258, 1987.
- L. Forlenza, G. Fasano, D. Accardo, and A. Moccia, “Laboratory test facility for simulating a sense and avoid flight system,” in Proceedings of the AIAA Infotech at Aerospace Technical Conference, Atlanta, Ga, USA, April 2010.
- G. Fasano, L. Forlenza, D. Accardo, A. Moccia, and A. Rispoli, “Integrated obstacle detection system based on radar and optical sensors,” in Proceedings of the AIAA Infotech at Aerospace Technical Conference, Atlanta, Ga, USA, April 2010.
- G. A. Downey, “Electro-optical tracking considerations II,” in Proceedings of the SPIE Acquisition, Tracking and Pointing XVIII, vol. 5082, 2003.