- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 673838, 15 pages
Testing and Modeling Fuel Regression Rate in a Miniature Hybrid Burner
SPLab, Aerospace Engineering Department, Politecnico di Milano, 34 Via La Masa, 20156 Milan, Italy
Received 10 February 2012; Accepted 7 May 2012
Academic Editor: Dario Pastrone
Copyright © 2012 Luciano Fanton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. T. de Luca, Energetic Problems in Aerospace Propulsion, chapter 12, Politecnico di Milano, 1st edition, 2007.
- G. P. Sutton, Rocket Propulsion Elements, John Wiley & Sons, 6th edition, 1992.
- G. Marxman and M. Gilbert, “Turbulent boundary layer combustion in the hybrid rocket,” Symposium (International) on Combustion, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 371–383, 1963.
- G. A. Marxman, “Fundamentals of hybrid boundary layer combustion,” in Heterogeneous Combustion Conference, December 1963.
- D. Altman, “Highlights in hybrid rocket propulsion,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Combustion and Propulsion, p. 17, Lerici La Spezia, Italy, September 2003.
- D. Altman and A. Holzmann, “Overview and history of hybrid rocket propulsion,” in Fundamentals of Hybrid Rocketcombustion and Propulsion, M. J. Chiaverini and K. K. Kuo, Eds., vol. 218, chapter 1, pp. 1–36, AIAA Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, 2007.
- M. J. Chiaverini and K. K. Kuo, Fundamentals of Hybrid Rocket Combustion and Propulsion, AIAA, 2006.
- R. A. Yetter, G. A. Risha, and S. F. Son, “Metal particle combustion and nanotechnology,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 1819–1838, 2008.
- G. A. Risha, B. J. Evans, E. Boyer, R. B. Wehrmann, and K. K. Kuo, “Nano-sized aluminum- and boron-based solid-fuel characterization in a hybrid rockey engine,” in Proceedings of the 39th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, July 2003.
- L. D. Smoot and C. F. Price, “Regression rates of non-metallized hybrid fuels systems,” AIAA Journal, vol. 3, pp. 1408–1413, 1965.
- L. D. Strand, M. D. Jones, R. L. Ray, and N. S. Cohen, “Characterization of hybrid rocket internal heat flux and HTPB fuel pyrolysis,” in Proceedings of the 30th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, June 1994.
- P. Estey, D. Altman, and J. McFarlane, “An evaluation of scaling effects for hybrid rocket motors,” in Proceedings of the 27th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, June 1991.
- M. J. Chiaverini, K. K. Kuo, A. Peretz, and G. C. Harting, “Regression-rate and heat-transfer correlations for hybrid rocket combustion,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 99–110, 2001.
- A. Gany, “Comprehensive consideration of boron combustion in airbreathing propulsion,” in Proceedings of the 42nd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, pp. 2592–2603, July 2006.
- L. T. DeLuca, L. Galfetti, G. Colombo et al., “Innovative solid fuels and propellants loaded with metals and hydrides,” SPLab Report to CNES under Commande No. 4700028003/DLA094, 2009.
- L. T. DeLuca, L. Galfetti, G. Colombo et al., “Time-resolved burning of solid fuels for hybrid rocket propulsion,” in Advances in Propulsion Physics, vol. 2, pp. 341–362, Taurus Press, Moscow, Russia, 2011.
- T. J. Houser and M. V. Peck, “Research in hybrid combustion,” in AIAA Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Heterogeneous Combustion, H. G. Wolfhard, I. Glassman, and L. Green Jr., Eds., pp. 559–581, 1964.
- B. Evans, N. A. Favorito, E. Boyer, G. A. Risha, R. B. Wehrman, and K. K. Kuo, “Characterization of nanosized energetic particle enhancement of solid-fuel burning rates in an x-ray transparent hybrid rocket engine,” in Proceedings of the AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Fort Lauderdale, Fla, USA, July 2004.
- T. J. Ohlemiller and M. Summerfield, “A critical analysis of arc image ignition of solid propellants,” AIAA Journal, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 878–886, 1967.
- F. P. Incropera and D. de Witt, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, John Wiley & Sons, 3rd edition, 1990.
- Y. S. Kwon, A. A. Gromov, A. P. Ilyin, and G. H. Rim, “Passivation process for superfine aluminum powders obtained by electrical explosion of wires,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 211, no. 1–4, pp. 57–67, 2003.
- Y. F. Ivanov, M. N. Osmonoliev, V. S. Sedoi et al., “Productions of ultra-fine powders and their use in high energetic compositions,” Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 319–333, 2003.
- A. A. Gromov, A. P. Il'In, U. Foerter-Barth, and U. Teipel, “Effect of the passivating coating type, particle size, and storage time on oxidation and nitridation of aluminum powders,” Combustion, Explosion and Shock Waves, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 177–184, 2006.
- P. Selvam, B. Viswanathan, C. S. Swamy, and V. Srinivasan, “Magnesium and magnesium alloy hydrides,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 169–192, 1986.
- G. Lengellé, J. C. Gordon, B. Fourest, and C. Guin, “Condensed-phase behavior and ablation rate of fuels for hybrid propulsion,” in Proceedings of the 9th Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, June 1993.
- M. A. Karabeyoglu, D. Altman, and B. J. Cantwell, “Combustion of liquefying hybrid propellants: part 1, General theory,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 610–620, 2002.
- D. A. Kearney and W. W. Geiman, “Accounting for planned fuel expulsion by hybrid rockets,” in Proceedings of the 41st AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Tucson, Ariz, USA, July 2005.
- B. Evans, N. A. Favorito, E. Boyer, and K. K. Kuo, “Characterization of solid fuel mass-burning enhancement utilizing an x-ray translucent hybrid rocket motor,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Special Topics in Chemical Propulsion, pp. 705–724, 2005.
- B. Evans, N. A. Favorito, and K. K. Kuo, “Oxidizer-type and aluminum-particle addition effects on solid-fuel burning behavior,” in Proceedings of the 42nd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, pp. 3538–3547, Sacramento, Calif, USA, July 2006.
- D. R. Greatrix, “Model for predicting fuel regression rate in hybrid rocket engines,” in Proceedings of the 43rd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, pp. 3436–3443, July 2007.
- G. A. Risha, G. C. Harting, K. K. Kuo et al., “Pyrolysis and combustion of solid fuels in various oxidizing environments,” in Proceedings of the 34th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, pp. 98–3184, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, July 1998.
- M. J. Chiaverini, N. Serin, D. K. Johnson, Y. C. Lu, K. K. Kuo, and G. A. Risha, “Regression rate behavior of hybrid rocket solid fuels,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2000.
- M. F. Modest, Radiative Heat Transfer, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- M. Q. Brewster and D. M. Taylor, “Radiative properties of burning aluminum droplets,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 287–299, 1988.