- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 860510, 12 pages
On Singular Perturbations of Flexible and Variable-Speed Wind Turbines
1Departamento de Ingeniería de Sistemas y Automática, Universidad de Sevilla, Camino de los Descubrimientos s/n, 41092 Sevilla, Spain
2Team Modelling and Simulation of Mechanical Systems, Faculty of Sciences at Tetouan, University Abdelmalek Essaadi, BP 2121, M’Hannech, 93002 Tetouan, Morocco
Received 31 October 2011; Accepted 5 February 2012
Academic Editor: Paul Williams
Copyright © 2012 R. Oulad Ben Zarouala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. D. Bianchi, H. de Battista, and R. J. Mantz, Wind Turbine Control Systems: Principles, Modelling and Gain Scheduling Design, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, 2007.
- B. Boukhezzar and H. Siguerdidjane, Comparison Between Linear and Nonlinear Control, Strategies for Variable Speed Wind Turbine Power Capture Optimization, Ecologic Vehicles, Renewable Energies, Monaco, 2009.
- M. M. Hand, “Variable-speed wind turbine controller systematic design methodology: a comparison of non-linear and linear model-based designs,” NREL Report number TP-500-25540, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo, USA, 1999.
- K. A. Stol, “Disturbance tracking control and blade load mitigation for variable-speed wind turbines,” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 396–401, 2003.
- J. H. Laks, L. Y. Pao, and A. D. Wright, “Control of wind turbines: past, present, and future,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC '09), pp. 2096–2103, St. Louis, Mo, USA, June 2009.
- A. Khamlichi, B. Ayyat, R. O. B. Zarouala, and C. V. Venegas, “Advanced control based on extended Kalman filter for variable speed wind turbine,” Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 636–644, 2011.
- B. Boukhezzar, H. Siguerdidjane, and M. Maureen Hand, “Nonlinear control of variable-speed wind turbines for generator torque limiting and power optimization,” ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 516–530, 2006.
- B. Boukhezzar, L. Lupu, H. Siguerdidjane, and M. Hand, “Multivariable control strategy for variable speed, variable pitch wind turbines,” Renewable Energy, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1273–1287, 2007.
- P. Novak, I. Jovik, and B. Schmidtbauer, “Modeling and identification of drive-system dynamics in a variable-speed wind turbine,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications, vol. 1, pp. 233–238, August 1994.
- B. Beltran, T. Ahmed-Ali, and M. E. H. Benbouzid, “Sliding mode power control of variable-speed wind energy conversion systems,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 551–558, 2008.
- A. A. Shabana, Dynamics of Multibody Systems, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 2005.
- J. Jonkman, S. Butterfield, W. Musial, and G. Scott, “Definition of a 5-MW reference wind turbine for offshore system development,” Tech. Rep. NREL/TP-500-38060, 2009.
- J. Jonkman and M. Buhl Jr., “FAST user’s guide,” Tech. Rep. NREL/EL-500-38230, 2005.
- P. V. Kokotovic, J. J. Allemong, J. R. Winkelman, and J. H. Chow, “Singular perturbation and iterative separation of time scales,” Automatica, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 23–33, 1980.
- H. K. Khalil, Nonlinear Systems, Prentice-Hall, 3rd edition, 2000.
- J. A. Acosta and M. López-Martínez, “A nonlinear strategy to control unstable underactuated mechanical systems with underactuation ≥ 1. Applications to control augmentations,” Open Automation and Control Systems Journal, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2009.
- M.L. Buhl, “WT PERF user’s guide,” Tech. Rep., National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo, USA, 2004.
- W. E. Leithead and B. Connor, “Control of variable speed wind turbines: design task,” International Journal of Control, vol. 73, no. 13, pp. 1189–1212, 2000.
- Y. D. Song, B. Dhinakaran, and X. Y. Bao, “Variable speed control of wind turbines using nonlinear and adaptive algorithms,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 293–308, 2000.
- H. Vihriala, R. Peralaand, P. Makila, and L. Soderlund, “A gearless wind power drive: part 2: performance of control system,” in Proceedings of the European Wind Energy Conference, 2001.
- F. W. Fairman, Linear Control Theory: The State Space Approach, John Wiley & Sons, 1998.