- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Aerospace Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 590924, 13 pages
Numerical Simulation of Airfoil Aerodynamic Penalties and Mechanisms in Heavy Rain
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing 100191, China
Received 19 July 2013; Revised 21 September 2013; Accepted 22 September 2013
Academic Editor: N. Ananthkrishnan
Copyright © 2013 Zhenlong Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Haines and J. K. Luers, “Aerodynamic penalties of heavy rain on a landing aircraft,” Tech. Rep. CR-156885, NASA, 1982.
- J. K. Luers and P. A. Haines, “Heavy rain influence on airplane accidents,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 187–191, 1983.
- J. K. Luers and P. A. Haines, “The effect of heavy rain on wind shear attributed accidents,” in Proceedings of the 19th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Paper 81-0390, 1981.
- R. V. Rhode, “Some effects of rainfall on flight of airplanes and on instrument indications,” NASA TN-903, 1941.
- R. J. Hansman Jr. and A. P. Craig, “Low reynolds number tests of NACA 64-210, NACA 0012, and wortman FX67-K170 airfoils in rain,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 559–566, 1987.
- B. A. Campbell and G. M. Bezos, “Steady state and transitional aerodynamic characteristics of a wing in simulated heavy rain,” Tech. Rep. TP-2932, NASA, 1989.
- L. P. Yip, “Wind tunnel investigation of a full-scale canard-configured general aviation aircraft,” Tech. Rep. TP-2382, NASA, 1985.
- R. J. Hansman Jr. and M. F. Barsotti, “The aerodynamic effect of surface wetting effects on a laminar flow airfoil in simulated heavy rain,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1049–1053, 1985.
- G. M. Bezos, R. E. Dunham Jr., G. L. Gentry, and W. Edward Melson Jr., “Wind tunnel aerodynamic characteristics of a transport-type airfoil in a simulated heavy rain environment,” Tech. Rep. TP-3184, NASA, 1992.
- B. E. Thompson, J. Jang, and J. L. Dion, “Wing performance in moderate rain,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1034–1039, 1995.
- B. E. Thompson and J. Jang, “Aerodynamic efficiency of wings in rain,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1047–1053, 1996.
- J. R. Valentine and R. A. Decker, “A Lagrangian-Eulerian scheme for flow around an airfoil in rain,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 639–648, 1995.
- J. R. Valentine and R. A. Decker, “Tracking of raindrops in flow over an airfoil,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 100–105, 1995.
- B. E. Thompson and M. R. Marrochello, “Rivulet formation in surface-water flow on an airfoil in rain,” AIAA Journal, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 1999.
- T. Wan and S.-W. Wu, “Aerodynamic analysis under the influence of heavy rain,” Journal of Aeronautics, Astronautics and Aviation A, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2009.
- T. Wan and S. P. Pan, “Aerodynamic efficiency study under the influence of heavy rain via two-phase flow approach,” in Proceedings of the 27th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, 2010.
- T. Wan and C. J. Chou, “Reinvestigation of high lift airfoil under the influence of heavy rain effects,” in Proceedings of the 50th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, Tenn, USA, 2012.
- T. Wan and B. C. Song, “Aerodynamic performance study of a modern blended-wing-body aircraft under severe weather simulation,” in Proceedings of the 50th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, Tenn, USA, 2012.
- R.-M. Zhang and Y.-H. Cao, “Study of aerodynamic characteristics of an airfoil in rain,” Journal of Aerospace Power, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 2064–2069, 2010.
- M. Ismail, C. Yihua, Z. Ming, and A. Bakar, “Numerical study of airfoils aerodynamic performance in heavy rain environment,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 67, pp. 1052–1060, 2012.
- Fluent 6.3 User’s Guide, 2006.
- A. C. Best, “The size distribution of raindrops,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 76, no. 327, pp. 16–36, 1950.
- C. W. Ulbrich, “Natural variations in the analytical form of the raindrop size distribution,” Journal of Climate & Applied Meteorology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1764–1775, 1983.
- J. S. Marshall and W. M. K. Palmer, “The distribution of raindrops with size,” Journal of Meteorology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 165–166, 1948.
- J. Joss and A. Waldvogel, “Raindrop size distribution and sampling size errors,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 566–569, 1969.
- A. H. Markowitz, “Raindrop size distribution expressions,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1029–1031, 1976.
- C. Mundo, M. Sommerfeld, and C. Tropea, “Droplet-wall collisions: experimental studies of the deformation and breakup process,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 151–173, 1995.
- A. J. Bilanin, “Scaling laws for testing airfoils under heavy rainfall,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 1987.
- W. C. Macklin and G. J. Metaxas, “Splashing of drops on liquid layers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 3963–3970, 1976.
- R. E. Dirling, “A method for computing roughwall heat transfer rates on re-entry nosetips,” in Proceedings of the 8th AIAA Thermophysics Conference, Palm Springs, Calif, USA, 1973.