- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Antennas and Propagation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 196925, 10 pages
How FPGAs Can Help Create Self-Recoverable Antenna Arrays
Faculty of Engineering, University of Rijeka, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
Received 12 March 2012; Revised 20 September 2012; Accepted 27 September 2012
Academic Editor: Krishnasamy Selvan
Copyright © 2012 Miroslav Joler. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Rayal, “Why have smart antennas not yet gained traction with wireless network operators?” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 124–126, 2005.
- I. Stevanovic, A. Skrivervik, and J. Mosig, “Smart antenna systems for mobile communications,” Tech. Rep., Ecole Polytechnique Federale De Lausanne, 2003.
- C. won Jung, M. J. Lee, G. P. Li, and F. De Flaviis, “Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 455–463, 2006.
- S. Zhang, G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, “A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2773–2776, 2004.
- H. Aïssat, L. Cirio, M. Grzeskowiak, J. M. Laheurte, and O. Picon, “Reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna for short-range communication systems,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 2856–2863, 2006.
- T. J. Peters, “A conjugate gradient-based algorithm to minimize the sidelobe level of planar arrays with element failures,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 39, no. 10, pp. 1497–1504, 1991.
- R. J. Mailloux, “Array failure correction with a digitally beamformed array,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1543–1550, 1996.
- B. K. Yeo and Y. Lu, “Array failure correction with a genetic algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 823–828, 1999.
- D. Marcano and F. Durán, “Synthesis of antenna arrays using genetic algorithms,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 12–20, 2000.
- J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, H. Palacios, and J. Vassal'lo, “Finding defective elements in planar arrays using genetic algorithms,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 29, pp. 25–37, 2000.
- S. Nakazawa, S. Tanaka, and T. Murata, “Evaluation of degradation of shaped radiation pattern caused by excitation coefficient error for onboard array-fed reflector antenna,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, vol. 3, pp. 3047–3050, June 2004.
- A. Patnaik, B. Choudhury, P. Pradhan, R. K. Mishra, and C. Christodoulou, “An ANN application for fault finding in antenna arrays,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 775–777, 2007.
- N. Xu, C. G. Christodoulou, S. E. Barbin, and M. Martínez-Ramón, “Detecting failure of antenna array elements using machine learning optimization,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, pp. 5753–5756, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, June 2007.
- E. Al Zuraiqi, M. Joler, and C. G. Christodoulou, “Neural networks FPGA controller for reconfigurable antennas,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC-USNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting (AP-S/URSI '10), pp. 1–4, Toronto, Canada, July 2010.
- S. Shelley, J. Costantine, C. G. Christodoulou, D. E. Anagnostou, and J. C. Lyke, “FPGA-controlled switch-reconfigured antenna,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp. 355–358, 2010.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, Wiley-Interscience, 3rd edition, 2005.
- R. L. Walke, R. W. M. Smith, and G. Lightbody, “Architectures for adaptive weight calculation on ASIC and FPGA,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Conference Record of the Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, vol. 2, pp. 1375–1380, 1999.
- C. Siriteanu, S. D. Blostein, and J. Millar, “FPGA-based communications receivers for smart antenna array embedded systems,” EURASIP Journal on Embedded Systems, vol. 2006, Article ID 81309, 2006.
- T. W. Nuteson, J. E. Stocker, J. S. Clark, D. S. Haque, and G. S. Mitchell, “Performance characterization of FPGA techniques for calibration and beamforming in smart antenna applications,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 3043–3051, 2002.
- M. Kim, K. Ichige, and H. Arai, “Implementation of FPGA based fast DOA estimator using unitary MUSIC algorithm,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 58th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC '03), vol. 1, pp. 213–217, October 2003.
- G. Kókai, T. Christ, and H. H. Frhauf, “Using hardware-based particle swarm method for dynamic optimization of adaptive array antennas,” in Proceedings of the 1st NASA/ESA Conference on Adaptive Hardware and Systems (AHS '06), pp. 51–58, June 2006.
- A. Nakajima, M. Kim, and H. Arai, “FPGA implementation of MMSE adaptive array antenna using RLS algorithm,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium and USNC/URSI Meeting, vol. 3, pp. 303–306, July 2005.
- S. Yadati, Discovering FPGA advantages with MATLAB and Simulink. Online. MathWorks, 2012 http://www.mathworks.com/.
- R. Andraka, “Survey of CORDIC algorithms for FPGA based computers,” in Proceedings of the ACM/SIGDA 6th International Symposium on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA '98), pp. 191–200, February 1998.
- Altera Corporation, http://www.altera.com/.
- B. Lee and N. Burgess, “Parameterisable floating-point operations on FPGA,” in Proceedings of the 36th Asilomar Conference on Signals Systems and Computers, pp. 1064–1068, November 2002.
- E. Roesler and B. Nelson, “Novel optimizations for hardware floating-point units in a modern FPGA architecture,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Field-Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL '02), vol. 2438 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 637–646, Montpellier, France, 2002.
- G. Lienhart, A. Kugel, and R. Manner, “Using floating-point arithmetic on FPGAs to accelerate scientific N-body simulations,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual IEEE Symposium Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines, pp. 182–191, Washington, DC, USA, April 2002.
- The MathWorks, http://www.mathworks.com/.
- E. Cigan and J. Inkeles, Introduction to FPGA design using MATLAB and Simulink. Online. MathWorks, 2012, http://www.mathworks.com/.
- R. L. Haupt and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, Wiley-Interscience, 2nd edition, 2004.