- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Antennas and Propagation
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 592842, 7 pages
Surface Plasmon-Enhanced Nanoantenna for Localized Fluorescence
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Yeditepe University, 34755 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 6 September 2012; Revised 5 December 2012; Accepted 6 December 2012
Academic Editor: Cheng Wei Qiu
Copyright © 2012 Isa Kocakarin and Korkut Yegin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Muehlschlegel, H. J. Eisler, O. J. F. Martin, B. Hecht, and D. W. Pohl, “Resonant optical antennas,” Science, vol. 308, pp. 1607–1609.
- P. Bharadwaj, B. Deutsch, and L. Novotny, “Optical antennas,” Advances in Optics and Photonics, vol. 1, pp. 438–483, 2009.
- L. Novotny and N. F. van Hulst, “Antennas for light,” Nature Photonics, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 83–90, 2011.
- V. Giannini, A. I. Fernandez-Dominguez, S. C. Heck, and S. A. Maier, “Plasmonic nanoantennas: fundamentals and their use in controlling the radiative properties of nanoemitters,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 111, pp. 3888–3912, 2011.
- L. Cao, J. S. Park, P. Fan, B. Clemens, and M. L. Brongersma, “Resonant germanium nanoantenna photodetectors,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1229–1233, 2010.
- J. N. Farahani, D. W. Pohl, H. J. Eisler, and B. Hecht, “Single quantum dot coupled to a scanning optical antenna: a tunable superemitter,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 1, Article ID 017402, 4 pages, 2005.
- D. Gevaux, “Nano-antenna picks up green light,” Nature Photonics, vol. 1, p. 90, 2007.
- L. Novotny, “Nano-optics: optical antennas tuned to pitch,” Nature, vol. 455, no. 7215, p. 887, 2008.
- E. Ozbay, “Plasmonics: merging photonics and electronics at nanoscale dimensions,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5758, pp. 189–193, 2006.
- D. P. Fromm, A. Sundaramurthy, P. James Schuck, G. Kino, and W. E. Moerner, “Gap-dependent optical coupling of single “bowtie” nanoantennas resonant in the visible,” Nano Letters, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 957–961, 2004.
- L. Wang, S. M. Uppuluri, E. X. Jin, and X. Xu, “Nanolithography using high transmission nanoscale bowtie apertures,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 361–364, 2006.
- A. Sundaramurthy, P. J. Schuck, N. R. Conley, D. P. Fromm, G. S. Kino, and W. E. Moerner, “Toward nanometer-scale optical photolithography: utilizing the near-field of bowtie optical nanoantennas,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 355–360, 2006.
- P. Anger, P. Bharadwaj, and L. Novotny, “Enhancement and quenching of single-molecule fluorescence,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 96, no. 11, Article ID 113002, 4 pages, 2006.
- G. Sun, J. B. Khurgin, and R. A. Soref, “Practicable enhancement of spontaneous emission using surface plasmons,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 90, no. 11, Article ID 111107, 2007.
- E. M. Purcell, “Spontaneous emission probabilities at radio frequencies,” Physical Review, vol. 69, p. 681, 1946.
- R. R. Chance, A. Prock, and R. Silbey, “Molecular fuorescence and energy transfer near interfaces,” Advances in Chemical Physics, vol. 37, p. 1, 1978.
- L. A. Blanco and F. J. García de Abajo, “Spontaneous light emission in complex nanostructures,” Physical Review B, vol. 69, no. 20, Article ID 205414, 2004.
- R. G. Hulet, E. S. Hilfer, and D. Kleppner, “Inhibited spontaneous emission by a Rydberg atom,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 55, no. 20, pp. 2137–2140, 1985.
- L. Rogobete, F. Kaminski, M. Agio, and V. Sandoghdar, “Design of plasmonic nanoantennae for enhancing spontaneous emission,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1623–1625, 2007.
- A. Mohammadi, V. Sandoghdar, and M. Agio, “Gold nanorods and nanospheroids for enhancing spontaneous emission,” New Journal of Physics, vol. 10, Article ID 105015, 2008.
- L. Novotny and S. J. Stranick, “Near-field optical microscopy and spectroscopy with pointed probes,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 57, pp. 303–331, 2006.
- J. Wessel, “Surface-enhanced optical microscopy,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 2, pp. 1538–1540, 1985.
- H. G. Frey, S. Witt, K. Felderer, and R. Guckenberger, “High-resolution imaging of single fluorescent molecules with the optical near-field of a metal tip,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 20, Article ID 200801, 2004.
- K. B. Crozier, A. Sundaramurthy, G. S. Kino, and C. F. Quate, “Optical antennas: resonators for local field enhancement,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 4632–4642, 2003.
- W. L. Barnes, “Fluorescence near interfaces: the role of photonic mode density,” Journal of Modern Optics, vol. 45, pp. 661–699, 1998.
- E. Fort and S. Gresillon, “Surface enhanced fluorescence,” Journal of Physics D, vol. 41, Article ID 013001, 2008.
- J. Zhang, Y. Fu, M. H. Chowdhury, and J. R. Lakowicz, “Metal-enhanced single-molecule fluorescence on silver particle monomer and dimer: coupling effect between metal particles,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 2101–2107, 2007.
- J. Enderlein and T. Ruckstuhl, “The efficiency of surface-plasmon coupled emission for sensitive fluorescence detection,” Optics Express, vol. 13, no. 22, pp. 8855–8865, 2005.
- Y. J. Hung, I. I. Smolyaninov, C. C. Davis, and H. C. Wu, “Fluorescence enhancement by surface gratings,” Optics Express, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 10825–10830, 2006.
- Y. Liu and S. Blair, “Fluorescence enhancement from an array of subwavelength metal apertures,” Optics Letters, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 507–509, 2003.
- F. Tam, G. P. Goodrich, B. R. Johnson, and N. J. Halas, “Plasmonic enhancement of molecular fluorescence,” Nano Letters, vol. 7, pp. 496–501, 2007.
- R. M. Bakker, H. K. Yuan, Z. Liu et al., “Enhanced localized fluorescence in plasmonic nanoantennae,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 4, Article ID 043101, 2008.
- A. Kinkhabwala, Z. Yu, S. Fan, Y. Avlasevich, K. Müllen, and W. E. Moerner, “Large single-molecule fluorescence enhancements produced by a bowtie nanoantenna,” Nature Photonics, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 654–657, 2009.
- L. Novotny, “Effective wavelength scaling for optical antennas,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, Article ID 266802, 2007.
- J. Alda, J. M. Rico-García, J. M. López-Alonso, and G. Boreman, “Optical antennas for nano-photonic applications,” Nanotechnology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. S230–S234, 2005.
- F. Gonzalez and G. Boreman, “Comparison of dipole, bowtie, spiral and logperiodic IR antennas,” Infrared Physics & Technology Journal, vol. 146, pp. 418–428, 2004.
- R. D. Grober, R. J. Schoelkopf, and D. E. Prober, “Optical antenna: towards a unity efficiency near-field optical probe,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 1354–1356, 1997.
- P. J. Burke, S. Li, and Z. Yu, “Quantitative theory of nanowire and nanotube antenna performance,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 5, pp. 314–334, 2006.
- H. Fischer and O. J. F. Martin, “Engineering the optical response of plasmonic nanoantennas,” Optics Express, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 9144–9154, 2008.
- M. L. Brongersma, “Plasmonics: engineering optical nanoantennas,” Nature Photonics, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 270–272, 2008.
- P. J. Schuck, D. P. Fromm, A. Sundaramurthy, G. S. Kino, and W. E. Moerner, “Improving the mismatch between light and nanoscale objects with gold bowtie nanoantennas,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 94, no. 1, Article ID 017402, 4 pages, 2005.
- C. Zandler, J. Enderlein, and R. A. Keller, Eds., Single-Molecule Detection in Solution—Methods and Applications, Wiley-VCH, Berlin, Germany, 2002.
- P. B. Johnson and R. W. Christy, “Optical constants of the noble metals,” Physical Review B, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 4370–4379, 1972.