- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Antennas and Propagation
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 873234, 17 pages
Compact, Slotted, Printed Antennas for Dual-Band Communication in Future Wireless Sensor Networks
Mobile Radio Communications Laboratory, National Technical University of Athens, Zographos Polytechnic Campus, 9 Iroon Polytechniou Street, 15773 Athens, Greece
Received 13 August 2012; Revised 25 October 2012; Accepted 20 December 2012
Academic Editor: Fan Yang
Copyright © 2013 Constantine G. Kakoyiannis and Philip Constantinou. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. S. Hall, E. Lee, and C. T. P. Song, “Planar inverted-F antennas,” in Printed Antennas for Wireless Communications, R. Waterhouse, Ed., chapter 7, pp. 197–228, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2007.
- B. S. Collins, “Handset antennas,” in Antennas for Portable Devices, Z. N. Chen, Ed., chapter 2, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2007.
- Y. C. Vardaxoglou and J. R. James, “Mobile handset antennas,” in Antenna Engineering Handbook, J. L. Volakis, Ed., chapter 36, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2007.
- Z. Ying, M. Ohtsuka, Y. Nishioka, and K. Fujimoto, “Antennas for mobile terminals,” in Mobile Antenna Systems Handbook, K. Fujimoto, Ed., chapter 5, pp. 213–320, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 3rd edition, 2008.
- K. Boyle, “Multiband multisystem antennas in handsets,” in Multiband Integrated Antennas for 4G Terminals, D. A. Sánchez-Hernández, Ed., chapter 2, pp. 33–52, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 2008.
- M. Martínez-Vázquez, E. Antonino-Daviú, and M. Fabedo-Cabrés, “Miniaturized integrated multiband antennas,” in Multiband Integrated Antennas for 4G Terminals, D. A. Sánchez-Hernández, Ed., chapter 5, pp. 151–186, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 2008.
- Y. Rahmat-Samii, J. Guterman, A. A. Moreira, and C. Peixeiro, “Integrated antennas for wireless personal communications,” in Modern Antenna Handbook, C. A. Balanis, Ed., chapter 22, pp. 1079–1142, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2008.
- K. Fujimoto, “Antennas for mobile communications,” in Modern Antenna Handbook, C. A. Balanis, Ed., chapter 23, pp. 1143–1228, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2008.
- E. S. Angelopoulos, A. I. Kostaridis, and D. I. Kaklamani, “A novel dual-band f-inverted antenna printed on a PCMCIA card,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 153–156, 2004.
- P. M. Mendes, A. Bartek, J. N. Burghartz, and J. H. Correia, “Novel very small dual-band chip-size antenna for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON '04), pp. 419–422, Atlanta, Ga, USA, September 2004.
- J. I. Moon, D. U. Sim, and S. O. Park, “Compact PIFA for 2.4/5 GHz dual ISM-band applications,” Electronics Letters, vol. 40, no. 14, pp. 844–846, 2004.
- Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, “Printed antenna with folded non-uniform meander line for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN bands,” Electronics Letters, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 786–788, 2005.
- H. Nakano, Y. Sato, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, “An inverted FL antenna for dual-frequency operation,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 2417–2421, 2005.
- M. Z. Azad and M. Ali, “A miniaturized hilbert PIFA for dual-band mobile wireless applications,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–62, 2005.
- Y. J. Cho, Y. S. Shin, and S. O. Park, “Internal PIFA for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications,” Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 8–9, 2006.
- Y. S. Wang, M. C. Lee, and S. J. Chung, “Two PIFA-related miniaturized dual-band antennas,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 805–811, 2007.
- E. Michailidis, C. C. Tsimenidis, and E. G. Chester, “Parametric study of dual and wide band PIFA,” in Proceedings of the IET Seminar on Wideband Multiband Antennas and Arrays for Defence or Civil Applications, pp. 145–159, London, UK, March 2008.
- P. W. Chan, H. Wong, and E. K. N. Yung, “Dual-band printed inverted-F antenna for DCS, 2.4 GHZ WLAN applications,” in Proceedings of the Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC '08), pp. 185–188, Loughborough, UK, March 2008.
- Y. Yu and J. Choi, “Compact internal inverted-F antenna for USB dongle applications,” Electronics Letters, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 92–94, 2009.
- K. L. Wong and W. J. Chen, “Small-size microstrip-coupled printed PIFA for 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN operation in the laptop computer,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 51, no. 9, pp. 2072–2076, 2009.
- Y. Li, Z. Zhang, J. Zheng, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, “A compact hepta-band loop-inverted F reconfigurable antenna for mobile phone,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 389–392, 2012.
- N. Cho, J. Bae, and H. J. Yoo, “A 10.8 mW body channel communication/MICS dual-band transceiver for a unified body sensor network controller,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 3459–3468, 2009.
- K. Boyle, Antennas for multi-band RF front-end modules [Ph.D. thesis], Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, 2004.
- K. R. Boyle and L. P. Ligthart, “Radiating and balanced mode analysis of PIFA antennas,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 231–237, 2006.
- Z. D. Liu, P. S. Hall, and D. Wake, “Dual-frequency planar inverted-F antenna,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1451–1458, 1997.
- C. G. Kakoyiannis, A. Kyrligkitsi, and P. Constantinou, “Bandwidth enhancement, radiation properties and ground-dependent response of slotted antennas integrated into wireless sensors,” IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 609–628, 2010.
- C. Puente, J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, “Fractal-shaped antennas,” in Frontiers in Electromagnetics, D. Werner and R. Mittra, Eds., chapter 2, pp. 48–93, IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- J. P. Gianvittorio and Y. Rahmat-Samii, “Fractal antennas: a novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 20–36, 2002.
- D. H. Werner and S. Ganguly, “An overview of fractal antenna engineering research,” IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 38–57, 2003.
- W. J. Krzystofik, “Printed multiband fractal antennas,” in Multiband Integrated Antennas for 4G TermInals, D. A. Sánchez-Hernández, Ed., chapter 4, pp. 95–150, Artech House, Norwood, Mass, USA, 2008.
- Advanced PCB Materials Product Selection Guide, Taconic, Petersburgh, NY, USA, 2010.
- T. Weiland, M. Timm, and I. Munteanu, “A practical guide to 3-D simulation,” IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 62–75, 2008.
- I. Munteanu, M. Timm, and T. Weiland, “It’s about time,” IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 60–69, 2010.
- C. G. Kakoyiannis and P. Constantinou, “Radiation properties and ground-dependent response of compact printed sinusoidal antennas and arrays,” IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 629–642, 2010.
- A. O. Karilainen, P. M. T. Ikonen, C. R. Simovski et al., “Experimental studies on antenna miniaturisation using magneto-dielectric and dielectric materials,” IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 495–502, 2011.
- Agilent PNA Series RF Network Analyzers E8356/7/8A, E8801/2/3A, N3381/2/3A Data Sheet, Agilent Technologies Inc., Santa Rosa, Calif, USA, 2006.