- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Antennas and Propagation
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 954986, 6 pages
A Compact Microstrip Spiral Antenna Embedded in Water Bolus for Hyperthermia Applications
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Fatih University, Istanbul 34500, Turkey
Received 20 December 2012; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 17 March 2013
Academic Editor: P. Mohanan
Copyright © 2013 Erdal Korkmaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. van der Zee, “Heating the patient: a promising approach?” Annals of Oncology, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1173–1184, 2002.
- B. Hildebrandt, P. Wust, O. Ahlers et al., “The cellular and molecular basis of hyperthermia,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 33–56, 2002.
- P. Wust, B. Hildebrandt, G. Sreenivasa et al., “Hyperthermia in combined treatment of cancer,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 487–497, 2002.
- M. H. Falk and R. D. Issels, “Hyperthermia in oncology,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2001.
- I. J. Bahl, S. S. Stuchly, J. W. Lagendijk, and A. M. Stuchly, “Microstrip loop radiators for local hyperthermia,” in Proceedings of the IEEE EEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, pp. 465–467, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, June 1981.
- W. Gee, S. W. Lee, N. K. Bong, C. A. Cain, R. Mittra, and R. L. Magin, “Focused array hyperthermia applicator: theory and experiment,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 31, pp. 38–46, 1984.
- Y. Nikawa, H. Watanabe, M. Kikuchi, and S. Mori, “A direct-contact microwave lens applicator with a microcomputer-controlled heating system for local hyperthermia,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 626–630, 1986.
- M. D. Sherar, F. F. Liu, D. J. Newcombe, et al., “Beam shaping for microwave waveguide hyperthermia applicators,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 849–857, 1993.
- R. C. Gupta and S. P. Singh, “Development and analysis of a microwave direct contact water-loaded box-horn applicator for therapeutic heating of bio-medium,” Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 62, pp. 217–235, 2006.
- M. M. Paulides, J. F. Bakker, E. Neufeld et al., “The HYPERcollar: a novel for hyperthermia in the head and neck,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 567–576, 2007.
- C. J. Trujillo, L. Leija, and A. Vera, “Design and preliminary evaluation of a superficial applicator for hyperthermia with a new coaxially fed antenna: theoretical models,” in Proceedings of the Pan American Health Care Exchanges, pp. 62–67, Lima, Peru, March 2010.
- M. A. Ebrahimi-Ganjeh and A. R. Attari, “Study of water bolus effect on SAR penetration depth and effective field size for local hyperthermia,” Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, vol. 4, pp. 273–283, 2008.
- E. Korkmaz, M. A. Nassor, S. Kara, O. Isik, and B. Turetken, “Design of compact microstrip antennas embedded in water bolus for hyperthermia applications,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2012.
- T. Juang, D. Neuman, J. Schlorff, and P. R. Stauffer, “Construction of a conformal water bolus vest applicator for hyperthermia treatment of superficial skin cancer,” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 2, pp. 3467–3470, 2004.
- D. G. Neuman, P. R. Stauffer, S. Jacobsen, and F. Rossetto, “SAR pattern perturbations from resonance effects in water bolus layers used with superficial microwave hyperthermia applicators,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 180–193, 2002.
- R. C. Gupta and S. P. Singh, “Analysis of the SAR distributions in three-layered bio-media in direct contact with a water-loaded modified box-horn applicator,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 2665–2671, 2005.
- S. Jacobsen and P. R. Stauffer, “Multifrequency radiometric determination of temperature profiles in a lossy homogeneous phantom using a dual-mode antenna with integral water bolus,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1737–1746, 2002.
- R. Garg, P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech, Norwwod, Mass, USA, 2001.
- M. M. Paulides, J. F. Bakker, N. Chavannes, and G. C. Van Rhoon, “A patch antenna design for application in a phased-array head and neck hyperthermia applicator,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 2057–2063, 2007.
- S. Curto, P. McEvoy, X. Bao, and M. J. Ammann, “Compact patch antenna for electromagnetic interaction with human tissue at 434 MHz,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 2564–2571, 2009.
- I. J. Bahl, S. S. Stuchly, J. W. Lagendijk, and M. A. Stuchly, “Microstrip loop radiators for local hyperthermia,” in IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, pp. 465–467, June 1981.
- D. Andreuccetti, M. Bini, A. Ignesti, R. Olmi, S. Priori, and R. Vanni, “High permittivity patch radiator for single and multi-element hyperthermia applicators,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 711–715, 1993.
- S. Jacobsen, H. O. Rolfsnes, and P. R. Stauffer, “Characteristics of microstrip muscle-loaded single-arm Archimedean spiral antennas as investigated by FDTD numerical computations,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 321–330, 2005.
- W. T. Chen and H. R. Chuang, “Numerical computation of the EM coupling between a circular loop antenna and a full-scale human-body model,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 46, no. 10, part 1, pp. 1516–1520, 1998.
- S. Curto and M. J. Ammann, “Electromagnetic interaction between resonant loop antenna and simulated biological tissue,” Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2418–2421, 2006.