- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 467906, 7 pages
Breast Cancer Treatment Practices in Elderly Women in a Community Hospital
Department of Surgery, The Brooklyn Hospital Center, 121 Dekalb Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Received 10 May 2011; Accepted 20 September 2011
Academic Editor: Owen A. Ung
Copyright © 2011 Hua Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. E. Holmes and H. B. Muss, “Diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer in the elderly,” Ca: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 227–244, 2003.
- Society AC, Breast Cancer Facts and Figures 2003, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2003.
- C. Owusu, T. L. Lash, and R. A. Silliman, “Effect of undertreatment on the disparity in age-related breast cancer-specific survival among older women,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 227–236, 2007.
- C. Gajdos, P. I. Tartter, I. J. Bleiweiss, R. A. Lopchinsky, and J. L. Bernstein, “The consequence of undertreating breast cancer in the elderly,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 192, no. 6, pp. 698–707, 2001.
- K. Hancke, M. D. Denkinger, J. König et al., “Standard treatment of female patients with breast cancer decreases substantially for women aged 70 years and older: a German clinical cohort study,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 748–753, 2009.
- V. Velanovich, M. Gabel, E. M. Walker et al., “Causes for the undertreatment of elderly breast cancer patients: tailoring treatments to individual patients,” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, vol. 194, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2002.
- M. Tahir, T. Robinson, and A. Stotter, “How not to neglect the care of elderly breast cancer patients?” Breast, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 293–296, 2011.
- C. Bouchardy, E. Rapiti, G. Fioretta et al., “Undertreatment strongly decreases prognosis of breast cancer in elderly women,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 19, pp. 3580–3587, 2003.
- K. J. Passage and N. J. McCarthy, “Critical review of the management of early-stage breast cancer in elderly women,” Internal Medicine Journal, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 181–189, 2007.
- D. A. Litvak and R. Arora, “Treatment of elderly breast cancer patients in a community hospital setting,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 141, no. 10, pp. 985–990, 2006.
- J. H. Lewis, M. L. Kilgore, D. P. Goldman et al., “Participation of patients 65 years of age or older in cancer clinical trials,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1383–1389, 2003.
- National Vital Statistics Reports, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- US Preventive Services Task Force, Recommendations for Breast Cancer Screening.
- E. P. McCarthy, R. B. Burns, K. M. Freund et al., “Mammography use, breast cancer stage at diagnosis, and survival among older women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1226–1233, 2000.
- S. Eaker, P. W. Dickman, L. Bergkvist, and L. Holmberg, “Differences in management of older women influence breast cancer survival: results from a population-based database in Sweden,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 321–328, 2006.
- D. A. August, T. Rea, and V. K. Sondak, “Age-related differences in breast cancer treatment,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 1994.
- N. Siegelmann-Danieli, V. Khandelwal, G. C. Wood et al., “Breast cancer in elderly women: outcome as affected by age, tumor features, comorbidities, and treatment approach,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2006.
- S. M. Enger, S. T. Soe, D. S. M. Buist et al., “Breast cancer treatment of older women in integrated health care settings,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 27, pp. 4377–4383, 2006.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network, “Practice Guidelines in Oncology—v.1.2007,” Breast Cancer.
- H. J. Wanebo, B. Cole, M. Chung et al., “Is surgical management compromised in elderly patients with breast cancer?” Annals of Surgery, vol. 225, no. 5, pp. 579–589, 1997.
- B. J. Grube, N. M. Hansen, W. Ye, T. Herlong, and A. E. Giuliano, “Surgical management of breast cancer in the elderly patient,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 182, no. 4, pp. 359–364, 2001.
- L. Balducci, M. Extermann, and I. Carreca, “Management of breast cancer in the older woman,” Cancer Control, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 431–441, 2001.
- L. Balducci, “Management of cancer in the elderly,” Oncology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 135–143, 2006.
- A. Ring, M. Reed, R. Leonard et al., “The treatment of early breast cancer in women over the age of 70,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 189–193, 2011.
- P. T. Truong, J. Lee, H. A. Kader, C. H. Speers, and I. A. Olivotto, “Locoregional recurrence risks in elderly breast cancer patients treated with mastectomy without adjuvant radiotherapy,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1267–1277, 2005.
- J. C. Lee, P. T. Truong, H. A. Kader, C. H. Speers, and I. A. Olivotto, “Postmastectomy radiotherapy reduces locoregional recurrence in elderly women with high-risk breast cancer,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 623–629, 2005.
- A. Fyles, L. Manchul, D. McCready, M. Trudeau, and S. Olsson, “Radiation for early breast cancer: is less more?” Discovery Medicine, vol. 5, no. 25, pp. 55–57, 2005.
- J. Ragaz, I. A. Olivotto, J. J. Spinelli et al., “Locoregional radiation therapy in patients with high-risk breast cancer receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: 20-year results of the British Columbia randomized trial,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 116–126, 2005.