- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 249501, 7 pages
Global Breast Cancer: The Lessons to Bring Home
1Department of Radiation Oncology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
2New York University Cancer Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
3Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
4Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, 2811 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 500, Santa Monica, CA 90272, USA
5David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Received 21 September 2011; Accepted 26 October 2011
Academic Editor: Clement Adebamowo
Copyright © 2012 Silvia C. Formenti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ferlay, H. R. Shin, F. Bray, D. Forman, C. Mathers, and D. M. Parkin, “Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 2893–2917, 2010.
- H. Igene, “Global health inequalities and breast cancer: an impending public health problem for developing countries,” Breast Journal, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 428–434, 2008.
- J. B. Harford, “Breast-cancer early detection in low-income and middle-income countries: do what you can versus one size fits all,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 306–312, 2011.
- P. Porter, “"Westernizing" women's risks? Breast cancer in lower-income countries,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 3, pp. 213–216, 2008.
- X. M. Li, D. Ganmaa, and A. Sato, “The experience of Japan as a clue to the etiology of breast and ovarian cancers: relationship between death from both malignancies and dietary practices,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 268–275, 2003.
- J. L. Kelsey, M. D. Gammon, and E. M. John, “Reproductive factors and breast cancer,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 36–47, 1993.
- K. S. Chia, M. Reilly, C. S. Tan et al., “Profound changes in breast cancer incidence may reflect changes into a westernized lifestyle: a comparative population-based study in Singapore and Sweden,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 302–306, 2005.
- D. Huo, C. A. Adebamowo, T. O. Ogundiran et al., “Parity and breastfeeding are protective against breast cancer in Nigerian women,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 992–996, 2008.
- F. Sitas, et al., “Cancers,” in Disease and Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa, D. T. Jamison, R. G. Geachem, M. W. Makgoba, et al., Eds., chapter 20, World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2nd edition, 2006.
- A. Fregene and L. A. Newman, “Breast cancer in sub-Saharan Africa: how does it relate to breast cancer in African-American women?” Cancer, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 1540–1550, 2005.
- A. Salas, M. Richards, M. V. Lareu et al., “The African diaspora: mitochondrial DNA and the Atlantic slave trade,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 454–465, 2004.
- O. F. Ikpatt, T. Kuopio, R. Ndoma-Egba, and Y. Collan, “Breast cancer in Nigeria and Finland: epidemiological, clinical and histological comparison,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 3005–3012, 2002.
- M. Ly, M. Antoine, F. André, P. Callard, J.-F. Bernaudin, and D. A. Diallo, “Breast cancer in Sub-Saharan African women: review,” Bulletin du Cancer, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 797–806, 2011.
- E. M. Elgaili, D. O. Abuidris, M. Rahman, A. M. Michalek, and S. I. Mohammed, “Breast cancer burden in central Sudan,” International Journal of Women's Health, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 77–82, 2010.
- I. D. Gukas, B. A. Jennings, B. M. Mandong et al., “Clinicopathological features and molecular markers of breast cancer in Jos, Nigeria,” West African Journal of Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 209–212, 2005.
- A. M. Burson, A. S. Soliman, T. A. Ngoma et al., “Clinical and epidemiologic profile of breast cancer in Tanzania,” Breast Disease, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2010.
- H. Amir, C. K. Makwaya, C. Moshiro, and G. Kwesigabo, “Carcinoma of the male breast: a sexually transmitted disease?” East African Medical Journal, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 187–190, 1996.
- U. M. D. Gwarzo, K. Sabitu, and S. H. Idris, “Knowledge and practice of breast-self examination among female undergraduate students of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Northwestern Nigeria,” Annals of African Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 2009.
- R. Akinola, K. Wright, O. Osunfidiya, O. Orogbemi, and O. Akinola, “Mammography and mammographic screening: are female patients at a teaching hospital in Lagos, Nigeria, aware of these procedures?” Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 125–129, 2011.
- H. M. A. Hamad, “Cancer initiatives in Sudan,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. viii32–viii36, 2006.
- R. Citigroup Investment and Analysis, Life Science Tools and Medical Technology, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- D. A. Berry, K. A. Cronin, S. K. Plevritis et al., “Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 353, no. 17, pp. 1784–1792, 2005.
- P. H. Zahl, J. Mæhlen, and H. G. Welch, “The natural history of invasive breast cancers detected by screening mammography,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 168, no. 21, pp. 2311–2316, 2008.
- I. Jatoi and W. F. Anderson, “Breast cancer overdiagnosis with screening mammography,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 10, pp. 999–1000, 2009.
- D. M. Parkin, et al., Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, vol. 8, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 1997.
- W. F. Anderson, I. Jatoi, and S. S. Devesa, “Distinct breast cancer incidence and prognostic patterns in the NCI's SEER program: suggesting a possible link between etiology and outcome,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2005.
- W. F. Anderson, I. Jatoi, and M. E. Sherman, “Qualitative age interactions in breast cancer studies: mind the gap,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 32, pp. 5308–5311, 2009.
- I. Jatoi, W. F. Anderson, and P. S. Rosenberg, “Qualitative age-interactions in breast cancer: a tale of two diseases?” American Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 504–506, 2008.
- D. A. Hill, A. Nibbe, M. E. Royce et al., “Method of detection and breast cancer survival disparities in hispanic women,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2453–2460, 2010.
- M. L. Brown, F. Houn, E. A. Sickles, and L. G. Kessler, “Screening mammography in community practice: positive predictive value of abnormal findings and yield of follow-up diagnostic procedures,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 165, no. 6, pp. 1373–1377, 1995.
- S. W. Fletcher and J. G. Elmore, “Mammographic screening for breast cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 17, pp. 1672–1680, 2003.
- J. G. Elmore, M. B. Barton, V. M. Moceri, S. Polk, P. J. Arena, and S. W. Fletcher, “Ten-year risk of false positive screening mammograms and clinical breast examinations,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 16, pp. 1089–1096, 1998.
- M. Pellegrini, et al., Analysis of proportional incidence and review of interval cancer cases observed within the mammography screening programme in Trento province, Italy, La Radiologia Medica, 2011.
- P. C. Gøtzsche and M. Nielsen, “Screening for breast cancer with mammography,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD001877, 2006.
- I. H. o. C. Prevention, Breast Cancer Screening, vol. 7, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2002.
- L. Nyström, I. Andersson, N. Bjurstam, J. Frisell, B. Nordenskjöld, and L. E. Rutqvist, “Long-term effects of mammography screening: updated overview of the Swedish randomised trials,” Lancet, vol. 359, no. 9310, pp. 909–919, 2002.
- B. Cox, “Variation in the effectiveness of breast screening by year of follow-up,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute. Monographs, no. 22, pp. 69–72, 1997.
- M. Retsky, R. Demicheli, and W. J. M. Hrushesky, “Does surgery induce angiogenesis in breast cancer? Indirect evidence from relapse pattern and mammography paradox,” International Journal of Surgery, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 179–187, 2005.
- S. M. Tan, A. J. Evans, T. P. Lam, and K. L. Cheung, “How relevant is breast cancer screening in the Asia/Pacific region?” Breast, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 2007.
- S. Woloshin and L. M. Schwartz, “Numbers needed to decide,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 101, no. 17, pp. 1163–1165, 2009.
- G. Gigerenzer, J. Mata, and R. Frank, “Public knowledge of benefits of breast and prostate cancer screening in Europe,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 101, no. 17, pp. 1216–1220, 2009.
- T. T. Torres-Edejer, et al., Making Choices in Health: WHO Guide to Cost-Effectiveness Analysis, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- I. O. L. Wong, K. M. Kuntz, B. J. Cowling, C. L. K. Lam, and G. M. Leung, “Cost effectiveness of mammography screening for Chinese women,” Cancer, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 885–895, 2007.
- Q. L. Okonkwo, G. Draisma, A. Der Kinderen, M. L. Brown, and H. J. De Koning, “Breast cancer screening policies in developing countries: a cost-effectiveness analysis for India,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 18, pp. 1290–1300, 2008.
- B. Fisher, J. Dignam, E. Tan-Chiu et al., “Prognosis and treatment of patients with breast tumors of one centimeter or less and negative axillary lymph nodes,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 112–120, 2001.
- R. R. Love, N. B. Duc, D. C. Allred et al., “Oophorectomy and Tamoxifen adjuvant therapy in premenopausal Vietnamese and Chinese women with operable breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 2559–2566, 2002.
- R. R. Love, N. B. Duc, N. C. Binh et al., “Postmastectomy radiotherapy in premenopausal Vietnamese and Chinese women with breast cancer treated in an adjuvant hormonal therapy study,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 697–703, 2003.
- P. G. Di Sorbo, “What Africa has to teach the United States about hospice and palliative care,” Journal of Palliative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 129–131, 2011.
- D. J. Kerr and R. Midgley, “Can we treat cancer for a dollar a day? Guidelines for low-income countries,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 9, pp. 801–803, 2010.
- B. C. R. Devi, T. S. Tang, and M. Corbex, “Reducing by half the percentage of late-stage presentation for breast and cervix cancer over 4 years: a pilot study of clinical downstaging in Sarawak, Malaysia,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1172–1176, 2007.
- A. Artinyan, J. Kim, P. Soriano, W. Chow, S. Bhatia, and J. D. I. Ellenhorn, “Metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumors in the era of imatinib: Improved survival and elimination of socioeconomic survival disparities,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2194–2201, 2008.
- S. Corm, L. Roche, J.-B. Micol et al., “Changes in the dynamics of the excess mortality rate in chronic phase-chronic myeloid leukemia over 1990–2007: a population study,” Blood, vol. 118, no. 16, pp. 4331–4337, 2011.
- N. Macready, “UN meeting to address growing burden of noncommunicable diseases,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 103, pp. 1354–1355, 2011.