- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Breast Cancer
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 347646, 10 pages
Evaluating Surveillance Breast Imaging and Biopsy in Older Breast Cancer Survivors
1Department of Community and Family Medicine, Geisel School of Medicine at Darmouth, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
2The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Geisel School of Medicine at Darmouth, Lebanon, NH, USA
3Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
4Department of Radiology, Geisel School of Medicine at Darmouth, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
5Department of Medicine, Geisel School of Medicine at Darmouth, Lebanon, NH, USA
Received 3 April 2012; Accepted 24 June 2012
Academic Editor: Michael S Simon
Copyright © 2012 Tracy Onega et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Cancer Institute, “Dictionary of Cancer Terms,” http://www.cancer.gov/.
- T. L. Lash and R. A. Silliman, “Re: prevalence of cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 399–400, 1998.
- J. L. Khatcheressian, A. C. Wolff, T. J. Smith et al., “American Society of Clinical Oncology 2006 update of the breast cancer follow-up and management guidelines in the adjuvant setting,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 31, pp. 5091–5097, 2006.
- P. A. Ganz, “Survivorship: adult cancer survivors,” Primary Care, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 721–741, 2009.
- W. B. Demartini, L. Ichikawa, B. C. Yankaskas et al., “Breast MRI in community practice: equipment and imaging techniques at facilities in the breast cancer surveillance consortium,” Journal of the American College of Radiology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 878–884, 2010.
- E. Grunfeld, H. Noorani, L. McGahan et al., “Surveillance mammography after treatment of primary breast cancer: a systematic review,” Breast, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 228–235, 2002.
- E. Grunfeld, S. Dhesy-Thind, and M. Levine, “Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: follow-up after treatment for breast cancer (summary of the 2005 update),” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 172, no. 10, pp. 1319–1320, 2005.
- T. Shenkier, L. Weir, M. Levine, I. Olivotto, et al., “The steering committee on clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 158, supplement 3, pp. S1–S2, 1998.
- E. Grunfeld, S. Dhesy-Thind, and M. Levine, “Follow-up after treatment for breast cancer. The steering committee on clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 158, supplement 3, pp. S65–S70, 1998.
- E. P. McCarthy, R. B. Burns, K. M. Freund et al., “Mammography use, breast cancer stage at diagnosis, and survival among older women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1226–1233, 2000.
- D. S. M. Buist, L. A. Abraham, W. E. Barlow et al., “Diagnosis of second breast cancer events after initial diagnosis of early stage breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 863–873, 2010.
- P. Carcaise-Edinboro, C. J. Bradley, and B. Dahman, “Surveillance mammography for Medicaid/Medicare breast cancer patients,” Journal of Cancer Survivorship, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2010.
- C. A. Doubeni, T. S. Field, M. U. Yood et al., “Patterns and predictors of mammography utilization among breast cancer survivors,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. 2482–2488, 2006.
- N. L. Keating, M. B. Landrum, E. Guadagnoli, E. P. Winer, and J. Z. Ayanian, “Factors related to underuse of surveillance mammography among breast cancer survivors,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 85–94, 2006.
- M. M. Schapira, T. L. McAuliffe, and A. B. Nattinger, “Underutilization of mammography in older breast cancer survivors,” Medical Care, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 281–289, 2000.
- T. S. Field, C. Doubeni, M. P. Fox et al., “Under utilization of surveillance mammography among older breast cancer survivors,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 158–163, 2008.
- L. W. Bassett, S. G. Dhaliwal, J. Eradat et al., “National trends and practices in breast MRI,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 332–339, 2008.
- D. Saslow, C. Boetes, W. Burke et al., “American Cancer Society guidelines for breast screening with MRI as an adjunct to mammography,” Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 75–89, 2007.
- R. M. Mann, C. K. Kuhl, K. Kinkel, and C. Boetes, “Breast MRI: guidelines from the European Society of Breast Imaging,” European Radiology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1307–1318, 2008.
- E. B. Claus, J. Schildkraut, E. S. Iversen, D. Berry, and G. Parmigiani, “Effect of BRCA1 and BRCA2 on the association between breast cancer risk and family history,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 90, no. 23, pp. 1824–1829, 1998.
- M. Kriege, C. T. M. Brekelmans, C. Boetes et al., “Efficacy of MRI and mammography for breast-cancer screening in women with a familial or genetic predisposition,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 5, pp. 427–437, 2004.
- M. O. Leach, C. R. Boggis, A. K. Dixon et al., “Screening with magnetic resonance imaging and mammography of a UK population at high familial risk of breast cancer: a prospective multicentre cohort study (MARIBS),” The Lancet, vol. 365, pp. 1769–1778, 2005.
- C. K. Kuhl, S. Schrading, S. Weigel et al., “The “EVA“ trial: evaluation of the efficacy of diagnostic methods (mammography, ultrasound, MRI) in the secondary and tertiary prevention of familial breast cancer. Preliminary results after the first half of the study period,” RoFo Fortschritte auf dem Gebiet der Rontgenstrahlen und der Bildgebenden Verfahren, vol. 177, no. 6, pp. 818–827, 2005.
- F. Sardanelli, F. Podo, G. D'Agnolo et al., “Multicenter comparative multimodality surveillance of women at genetic-familial high risk for breast cancer (HIBCRIT Study): interim results,” Radiology, vol. 242, no. 3, pp. 698–715, 2007.
- P. A. Carney, S. P. Poplack, W. A. Wells, and B. Littenberg, “The New Hampshire mammography network: the development and design of a population-based registry,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 367–372, 1996.
- R. Ballard-Barbash, S. H. Taplin, B. C. Yankaskas et al., “Breast cancer surveillance consortium: a national mammography screening and outcomes database,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 1001–1008, 1997.
- M. E. Charlson, P. Pompei, K. A. Ales, and C. R. MacKenzie, “A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 373–383, 1987.
- S. L. Zeger and K. Y. Liang, “Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes,” Biometrics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 121–130, 1986.
- R. Smith-Bindman, C. Quale, P. W. Chu, R. Rosenberg, and K. Kerlikowske, “Can medicare billing claims data be used to assess mammography utilization among women ages 65 and older?” Medical Care, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 463–470, 2006.
- N. Houssami, L. A. Abraham, D. L. Miglioretti et al., “Accuracy and outcomes of screening mammography in women with a personal history of early-stage breast cancer,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 305, no. 8, pp. 790–799, 2011.